Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Gentlemen, let's try to stay on topic and refrain from verbal/personal insults.

The rod bearing issue is well-documented on this forum with a lot of independent research and information available.
Everything from stories of premature engine failures to stories of stock bearings reaching 100k+ miles have been recorded.
It's important for anyone, including the OP, getting into the E9x M3 and the S65 to thoroughly come to an independent decision.

I suggest the OP to thoroughly research the issue and determine if the risk (perceived or real) is something that is worth addressing prematurely.
If so, then it is definitely smart to set aside some money for this preventative maintenance item should the car purchased not already have it done.
This, of course, does not include funds for other things that may or may not go bad (i.e., throttle actuators, etc.).

With that said, I personally have had the rod bearing service done on my own M3, and while there is a general forum-wide consensus on the rod bearing issue at this stage, understand [with an open mind] that it remains controversial (i.e., dissent, skeptics, and indifference exist) and we are still not quite there as far as the "cold hard truth" on solutions and whether or not the risk is conflated.
We are still some years away from seeing more higher mileage S65s with all the different types of swapped bearings (WPC, VAC, etc.) and bolts and how they compare with stock, non-WPC ones.
Admittedly, there's still a significant degree of uncertainty regardless of what side of the debate one sits on.
Whether there are other factors involved (i.e., main bearings, climate, driving style, oil viscosity) is still undetermined.

On the flip side, those skeptical of the rod bearing issue should also keep an open mind that those performing the service for the sake of preventative maintenance/insurance are doing so for peace of mind, where $2,000, for example, is a much smaller expense to incur vs. a $10,000+ bill for a new engine.

With that said, please keep in mind the forum rules, stay on topic, and engage in civil discourse.

Thanks

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 6
Ab28592.50
MRAT3D57.00
wfdeacon881105.00
SYT_Shadow11496.00