07-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #47
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
There are no more EDs for M3s at all not just this model.

It's really tough in the US to offer anything special bc of the need to crash test for different seats, the need for EPA for different engine etc. BMW is at the mercy of those things and if they offered 200 of these at $125,000 with different seats how many people would buy it?

There are no plug and play brakes for the E92 for fitment that I am aware of from the factory (GTS brakes aren't). Can't do the CRT hood (crash testing) so what can be done? Limited editions like this.

Out of all of them this is by far the most enthusiast oriented- it is in not a single package with no options this can be built as you'd like and it comes with all the M Performance parts from the factory- the exhaust is almost $5k installed, add the install and parts of the rest of the stuff and this is actually a value and it is Factory.
Hey mapezzul,

I'm aware of the restrictions that car manufacturers face when certifying cars for release in the US, especially foreign manufacturers. That doesn't diminish the disappoint that I feel when we don't get the likes of the CSL, CRT, or GTS in the States. There are literally tens of thousands of hardcore enthusiasts on this forum -- I don't believe that there aren't 67 of us who wouldn't have paid $120,000 for a CRT (as one Texas gentleman did) had BMW brought that car out here, for example. If Mercedes can sell enough Black Edition cars in the US to make it worth their while, then BMW can certainly do the same. And why not release the components off of these cars as retrofit parts? People would gladly pay a premium for the GTS/CRT brakes, CRT hood, CRT seats, GTS wing, CRT lip, CRT spoiler, GTS lip, and so on, just as some E46M folks did for the CSL front bumper and trunk. Porsche doesn't VIN-lock their parts. If you want to pay $8,000 for a carbon fiber GT2 RS hood for your Boxster, more power to you.

That all said, I'm not as down on the Lime Rock edition as you probably think I am. I posted a little earlier in the thread, and as a value proposition, I think it's a good offering:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=27
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0