04-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea333 View Post
2011 - Competition package ... isn't as hard-core as the previous M3's Competition package (I thought this was new so don't know what they're talking about). [edmunds]
- New LED tail lights on coupe (why they waited a year is beyond me! and they STILL haven't updated the headlamps, wtf?!)
They're comparing the E9x Competition Package to the E46 Competition Package, which was a much more substantial upgrade -- though it was also more expensive even before adjusting for inflation. Tail lights on the coupe took longer than the sedan because the coupe was originally released after the sedan (just as the 4 Series is taking a while to come out after the F30 3 Series), so it was on a different schedule for receiving its LCI update. Headlamps weren't updated because apparently doing that would have required changing the front bumper and thus getting recertified on crash tests, which BMW must have decided wasn't financially justifiable given the low sales of the M3 compared to the regular 3 Series.

You're also missing the 2011.5 (9/2010 production onwards) addition of Combox. I just detailed this a while ago so I'm not going to write up what it does or how you get it yet again. As others have said, search. Also, Mineral White became available at that point. And speaking of colors, as of 2009, Le Mans Blue became available and Sparkling Graphite was dropped.

Quote:
2012 - BMW Apps integration (shows artist playing, pandora, facebook etc but only up to iPhone 4s) - also I think the whole iDrive interface got a usability refresh and is much more intuitive to use (based on playing with a new M5 though).
BMW Apps became an option for 2011.75 (not an official designation from BMW, but refers to cars produced from 3/2011 onward). It supports any iOS device running iOS 5 or later, I believe, which means you can use devices before and after the 4S. iDrive did not get an update here; the new iDrive you saw in the F10 M5 is currently only available on F10s, to my knowledge. In any case, it was never made available on E9x cars and it's not even available (yet) on the F30.

Quote:
2013 - I read that for 2013 or 2012 they improved the drive train or chassis so it's lighter and has better handling.
Nope, drivetrain and chassis setup has been unchanged since the car was introduced, except technically for the addition of DCT, the Competition Package, some engine internals that were improved to address premature wear issues (I think that started somewhere around MY2010), and I guess software updates.

Quote:
I presume the Enhanced Premium sound is the same for 2008-2013 models?
Yes

Now, all that said, yes please do some searching. No offense, but these "I'm looking to buy a used M3 and want to know what changes happened when" threads come up every week or so.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 05-10-2013 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0