Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92 08 & 330d e90 10

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Old thread I know, but still relevant.

I've recently been involved in an argument over at m3cutters regarding S65 bearing clearances and rod bearing problems (some there don't believe it's a clearance problem...).

As a side shoot from that discussion Paul Gros of MAR Motorsport, an official seller of Mahle MotorSport bearings etc (& he's apparently formerly from Mahle itself), has dipped his toes into it, and then in a separate thread posted clearance specs for the OEM lead/copper bearings which he states are not made by Clevite, but by Mahle/Glacier Vandervell and that the "mean clearance was 0.046mm and the grading scheme allowed a total range of 0.029/0.062mm"

It would seem the figures from TIS (& AIR) are not the rod bearing clearances....
And it would seem the OEM mean (nominal) figures aren't as tight as we thought, although still less than industry standard and BE bearings and Mahle Motorsports own bearings.
Seems to me the OEM ones are still somewhat on the tight side, especially at the lower end, just a little less tight than we originally thought (in respect to nominal clearances, not measured).

Thoughts?

Last edited by Assimilator1; 02-02-2024 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0