BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

10-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
crash32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Any of you have issues with steering rack.... warranty nightmare here!

I was advised by several forum members to research and see if anyone else has had an issue with a steering rack sleeve coming off or anything of that nature. I used the search function and could not find anything and was hoping a few of you guys would chime in and give me some advice.

Basically 5 months ago I brought in my M3 because the front lower plastic belly pan was hanging down a bit and BMW investigated and said that they would zip tie it up and that there was no other damage (I had asked them to check well).

A week ago my power steering starts to fail so I take it in to have it looked at and get a phone call saying the repair is $2,800 since there is damage to the steering rack (rack and pinion). They said that they will not cover it under warranty since there was clear evidence that the impact that broke my plastic belly pan caused the sleeve to separate from the steering rack. I immediately called BS on that as I knew that they checked the car thoroughly once I had brought it in months ago due to the belly pan damage.

I came over and looked at it with the service manager and he agreed with me that was not the case as there was no damage to the steering rack when I brought it in in regards to the belly pan. He told me that they would make good and not to worry about it. I left the dealership relived thinking that all of the issues were worked out until I got an e mail a couple hours later stating that although they had ruled out the impact that messed up the belly pan damaged the steering rack they now think that I ran over something which damaged the steering rack!!!!!! They are now saying that this is a completely different incident than the belly pan ordeal.

The part of the sleeve which inserts into the steering rack has a small tear at the end and the clamp is missing. On top of that there is a thick metal belly pan (different belly pan) that covers the portion of the steering rack that is damaged and there is ZERO evidence that I hit anything!!! How can they deny the warranty claim?!?! The service manager even wrote in the e mail that is it "possible" that I hit something causing damage to the steering rack. So they are denying my claim based on a "possibility"??????? This just seems entirely too ludicrous to be real!!!

I am baffled how the clamp came off completely? It seems as if even if I hit the clamp with a baseball bat that it would bend but not completely break or come undone??? Before I left the dealership, even the service manager had said that his theory was that the seal had broken loose inside the steering rack and the fluid that was leaking caused the clamp to come undone. This sounds much more feasible than a rock somehow popping up through the metal belly pan breaking the seal and then somehow leaving no trace, scratches, or even a measly scuff on the belly pan below the steering rack.

Does anyone have any advice or had a similar problem with their steering rack? I had posted a picture of the damage in my previous thread but I want to post it again so you can see the damage and see how the section that is damaged is directly above and protected by the metal belly pan which shows no evidence of hitting an object.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

why do you keep creating 100 threads for the same issue?!

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
crash32
Private First Class
Rep

I created this thread specifically to find out if anyone else has experienced similar failure to their steering rack. Yes, it is the same situation but I am now not asking what to do about the warranty issue but asking of anyone has had their steering rack fail them. I feel strongly that if it happened to me that it has happened to someone else.
I figured my question would be much better answered here as opposed to someone digging through a 2 page thread for a question.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
why do you keep creating 100 threads for the same issue?!
This.

We get it. Your car is broken and the dealership wont cover it under warranty. Just find another dealership or pay for it and move on. Stop creating these threads. You can add to any of your numerous other threads if you are looking for more redundant advise.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #5
e46m3to135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 MR E92 M3

OP. Heres what I suggest you do.

Order a new belly pan or find a used one that isn't damaged. Install it and then take your car to a different dealer.

If they ask you why your bringing the car to them rather than to a dealer thats located closer to you, tell them you don't like the service people at the closer dealer.

At this point the new dealer would have to prove that you did the damage rather then point at your damaged belly pan and say that an accident occured prior to, as your dealing with now.

It will save you $2500 dollars in the long run. Trying to argue with dealers in situations like this or trying to prove them wrong, more often then not just doesn't up in your favor.

You have now been given: PURPOSE, DIRECTION & MOTIVATION

now

EXCUTE

/END THREAD

Evolve Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT Flash / Servo Tune / OEM Exhaust Mod / BMC Drop In / H&R Sports Springs / BMS 15/12mm Spacers / CF Grilles / CF Gills / CF Hood Vents / Painted Reflectors / Extended Paddles / BMS ARC AE's / Cyba Scoops / 20% Tint
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
crash32
Private First Class
Rep

Jeezzzz okay guys, I will quit creating threads and posting. I was just hoping someone would chime in and say that they had the same problem with their steering rack. There is ZERO proof that I did the damage and they are still denying my warranty claim!
I will do what is recommended and hope for the best. Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
F9T
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to135i View Post
OP. Heres what I suggest you do.

Order a new belly pan or find a used one that isn't damaged. Install it and then take your car to a different dealer.

If they ask you why your bringing the car to them rather than to a dealer thats located closer to you, tell them you don't like the service people at the closer dealer.

At this point the new dealer would have to prove that you did the damage rather then point at your damaged belly pan and say that an accident occured prior to, as your dealing with now.

It will save you $2500 dollars in the long run. Trying to argue with dealers in situations like this or trying to prove them wrong, more often then not just doesn't up in your favor.

You have now been given: PURPOSE, DIRECTION & MOTIVATION

now

EXCUTE

/END THREAD
Can't the previous dealer note that the belly pan was damaged when he brought it originally, or would the second dealer not have access to those records?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
crash32
Private First Class
Rep

The same dealership that my car is at now is the same one that serviced my car 5 months ago when I brought it in with the belly pan issue. They are the ones who zip tied it up and yes they have record of it! They even inspected the car at that time and found there to be no other damage lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
e46m3to135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 MR E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrytroop22 View Post
Can't the previous dealer note that the belly pan was damaged when he brought it originally, or would the second dealer not have access to those records?
I'm fairly certain dealers only have access to repair history that has been completed at their specific dealership. Warranty repairs is a different story, I believe those can be seen nation wide from any dealer.

Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Evolve Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT Flash / Servo Tune / OEM Exhaust Mod / BMC Drop In / H&R Sports Springs / BMS 15/12mm Spacers / CF Grilles / CF Gills / CF Hood Vents / Painted Reflectors / Extended Paddles / BMS ARC AE's / Cyba Scoops / 20% Tint
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
osteome
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

How about we all chip in a buck to not create another thread?
Gone: M3 E93 Silverstone II over Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
crash32
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteome View Post
How about we all chip in a buck to not create another thread?
I am totally with osteome!!!! Any takers

To add to this already tall pile of horse$hi&, BMW of North America has told me that even if the broken part was not due to outside influence (which it was NOT) that they still would not replace it because the part was not found to be defective!?!?!?!? Its friggin broke!!! What other evidence of "defective" do you have to have???? Totally frustrated!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
crash32
Private First Class
Rep

With all joking aside it is not the $$$ that pisses me off, but an issue of me buying an vehicle from BMW and having them take a gigantic dump on me.... so much for customer appreciation.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
speedaddictM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash32 View Post
I am totally with osteome!!!! Any takers

To add to this already tall pile of horse$hi&, BMW of North America has told me that even if the broken part was not due to outside influence (which it was NOT) that they still would not replace it because the part was not found to be defective!?!?!?!? Its friggin broke!!! What other evidence of "defective" do you have to have???? Totally frustrated!!!
What part was not found to be defective? How was it found not to be defective? And if so, then what part is defective to cause the steering failure? Surely, they aren't suggesting that everything is working fine and that the steering is failing all on its own.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

If you didn't go back to read your first post to read my thoughts. This may solve your issue for many months.

This applies to both of your posts. (Actually all three now)

The leak at the steering rack boots likely caused the fluid level in the P/S reservoir to drop. With a low fluid level the P/S pump will begin to suck air under some conditions. The pump will make plenty of noise!!! You will decide to have it checked or check the fluid level yourself. It is easy to check the level.

The amount of fluid loss would not be much (maybe 1 cup) before the pump lets you know there is a problem. It may have taken 5-6 months to leak enough to drop the level to the "noise making" point.

My suggestion pick-up the correct fluid Pentosin CHF 11S at Kragen / O'Rilley's, they had it for about $22.99 per liter. Go to the dealer pick-up your car and pop the hood and pour the correct amount into the reservoir. Start the engine and the noise will be gone. Look under the vehicle to see is the fluid coming right back out. No leak - drive your car and monitor the fluid regularly. Eventually you will have to fix the leak problem.

If the fluid is running out from the leak fast, give them back the vehicle for the repair and go home to cry while you wait for the bill.

I know that the pump will make very ugly noises when the P/S fluid level is low from personal experience. If you didn't drive the vehicle for weeks with the pump "moaning" there will be no damage to the pump.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #15
crash32
Private First Class
Rep

I asked the supervisor what he meant by saying "Even if the damage to the steering rack was not caused by outside influence we would still not replace the steering rack due to insufficient evidence that there was a manufactor defect" and he could simply not produce an acceptable explanation. I said to him that the sleeve was off of the seal and it was leaking power steering fluid and that the clamp was gone!!! What other evidence would one possibly want?!?! He stated that the main concern was that the clamp was gone. Well I am guessing if there was ever a defect with the clamp that the damn thing would probably break and fall off. I honestly do not know how to communicate with these people!
They are stating that they will not replace the part due to the "possibility" that I hit something while there is no evidence of impact in the steering rack area.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5, C63 AMG Black Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to135i View Post
I'm fairly certain dealers only have access to repair history that has been completed at their specific dealership. Warranty repairs is a different story, I believe those can be seen nation wide from any dealer.

Maybe someone else can confirm this.
I work at a dealer. Customer pay items only show up at their dealer's database, but if something is covered under warranty it will be recorded under the vin. They can also note things under your vin such as aftermarket suspension, wheels, etc and prevent your car from getting CPO'd. Only seen that happen one time before.

Good advice in here, install the new splash shield and take to a different dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #17
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrytroop22 View Post
THIS> they are all on the same computer system
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #18
crash32
Private First Class
Rep

Lets not exaggerate!!! I have created 3 threads... not 100 although I do admit that 3 was a bit redundant. The situation changed completely and I wanted to update it without having you guys read through pages of posts and comments because I know that yall care so much lol.
All in all, I have gotten some great advice and it is much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #19
fbm3cab
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Correct me if I am wrong but you bought the car used in a private sale and it was abused by the previous owner? Right?

The dealer seems to recognise that the problem is "damage/abuse" and not "manufacturers defect" So they are not honoring the warranty for manufacturers defect. Right?

I don't get it. The warranty is for manufacturers defect and not for "user damage/abuse. This is clear in the warranty agreement.

Pehaps if you were the owner from new there would have been no damage/abuse causing this problem and even if there was then the dealer may have covered it under warranty due to loyalty.?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #20
crash32
Private First Class
Rep

fbm3cab, I did buy the vehicle used. There is no indication that it was "abused" by the previous owner. The front plastic belly pan had a crack in it. There are about 20 threads about people having to replace their belly shield due to debris as it is the lowest part of the vehicle. Furthermore, when I brought it in to have the belly pan inspected it was PROVEN that there was no other damage.... even the service manager has claimed this.
There is ZERO indication that the steering rack was impacted at any time. The metal plate under it is intact. There are no nicks or scratches on the part. The steering rack is a good 2 and a half feet away from the plastic belly pan that was cracked and 4 inches higher so it is not even in the same vicinity. That is besides the point because once again the service manager has agreed that it did not happen when the belly pan was impacted!
I know that you guys don't know me, but I am absolutely assure you that I have babied the vehicle since I have owned it ... have not even run over a pot hole. Again, if it is brought up that the previous owner abused it.... the car was inspected once I purchased it and it was found to have no problems other than the cracked belly pan so that notion is mute.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

It does seem unlikely that you damaged the steering rack without damaging something else based on the position of the rack (and that boot).

I don't know what to tell you though, other than to find a good used (new might raise red flags) belly pan and try another dealership.

I had a 350Z with this issue. The lock plate for the inner tie rod came off and the tie rod beat it up making it sharp. It then cut the boot and the contamination that got in ruined the seal in the rack.