BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

First Tests: 2014 Corvette Stingray

Some bits and pieces:

Edmunds:

Quote:
The Stingray's magic bullet, the component of its character that makes it truly amazing, is a combination of the right hardware and expertly tuned chassis controls. Together they create a textbook rear-drive sports car with potent power and confidence-inspiring electronic safety nets.

You want big powerslides? Turn everything off and the C7 will oblige. But it's so much better than that. When properly configured, you'll find yourself doing things in the C7 you'd never consider without such elegant backup systems.

One of those things, we discovered under the graceful control of PTM, is confidently executing a 100-mph four-wheel slide over a midcorner blind crest on a wholly unfamiliar racetrack. Try that in your 911.
Quote:
How does a 12.0-second quarter-mile at 117.3 mph sound? Sixty mph was gone in 4.1 seconds (3.8 seconds with 1-foot rollout as on a drag strip).

But straight-line tests hardly tell the whole story. Using the Z51-specific Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP rubber, it circled the skid pad at 1.08g, the highest number we've recorded in a production car on street tires. The slalom, hastily performed in the last few minutes of our test, passed at a mighty 72.8 mph.

With its middle finger raised to physics, the C7 also stopped from 60 mph in only 93 feet, which is the shortest stopping distance we've ever measured.
Quote:
If there's one upgrade that will be appreciated above all else in the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, it's the seats. Ignore, for now, the car's solid performance-per-dollar ratio. Ignore its acceleration. Ignore its handling. Because without seats that are both comfortable and supportive, the rest matters little.

We drove four or five Stingrays in Michigan, none of which was equipped with the competition sport seats. That we didn't even notice their absence says something about the base GT seats. They are as good as they need to be, so that dead horse can finally be left alone.
Car&Driver

Quote:
Triggering the clutch at 3700 rpm drops a torque bomb on the rear tires. It produces beneficial wheelspin as the clairvoyant e-differential balances left- and right-side thrust. Without exploiting launch control, which is handy but beatable, we clocked a best sprint to 60 mph of 3.9 seconds and 12.2 seconds at 117 mph in the quarter-mile. In case you’ve fallen behind on your stat-keeping, this is elite territory: about the same as the outgoing Corvette 427 convertible, a few tenths quicker than the Grand Sport, and faster than any Porsche Boxster or Cayman we’ve tested. The foes to avoid at stoplights are the new Jag F-type packing a supercharged V-8 and the Porsche 911S, both of which smoke the Stingray to 60 and through the quarter-mile by 0.2 to 0.3 second.
Quote:
Thanks to the move to Michelin Pilot Super Sport radials, the Stingray is world-class in terms of braking and cornering. Stopping from 70 mph in 146 feet without fade matches the Grand Sport as well as recent Cayman and 911 performances. Brembo calipers and grooved rotors provide decisive bite, linear response, and easy modulation. But where the Stingray really excels is in cornering tests. Posting a 1.08-g score on GM’s black-lake circle puts the C7 in league with the Z06 and ZR1 on track tires and well beyond the reach of the current Porsche crowd.
Burnout video:

Motortrend

Quote:
While three eager editors fidget, knees bouncing, the slides reveal a few new factoids such as the now SAE-certified engine output ratings: 455 hp at 5900 rpm and 460 lb-ft at 4700 rpm for the base engine; 460 hp/465 lb-ft (at the same revs) with the $1195 Dual-Mode Performance Exhaust. This system (RPO NPP) more or less bypasses the rear mufflers with a pair of exhaust butterflies. Juechter also discloses that, when operating as a 3.1-liter V-4, the LT1 produces 126 hp and 221 lb-ft at 3000 rpm—that's 10 times the power needed to maintain 50 mph, and it's sufficient to sustain 90 mph on flat ground. (I checked.)
Quote:
Let's fast-forward to the black lake. I warm the car up with numerous laps of the figure-eight course, trying different modes. Everything off proved too hard to control, but Track mode with the Dry program seemed to allow the ideal slip angle. The new Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires are supposedly quite a bit stickier, but GM's asphalt feels a smidge smoother than the aggregate at California Speedway, where we tested our last C6 Grand Sport. Hence lateral g increases "only" to 1.11 g from 1.09; our lap time of 23.9 seconds at 0.82 g was 0.2 second off the Grand Sport's; and our 60-0-mph braking distance stretched to 104 feet from 101.
Quote:
With all gauges and tires showing "warm," I line up for eight acceleration runs: four with launch control (traction off, clutch in, floor the throttle, let revs stabilize, release clutch, and let computer modulate) and four without. The computer launches at around 4000 rpm, and each run registers within a tenth of a second -- great for bracket racing, but I know she'll bite harder with fewer revs. Sure enough, with about 2800 rpm, careful modulation, and earlier hook-up, I'm better than a tenth quicker, with my best two-way average working out to 3.9 seconds to 60 mph and 12.2 at 117.3 mph in the quarter. That pretty evenly splits the difference between the Grand Sport and 427 C6 models (12.5 at 115.0 and 11.9 at 121.5). The seven-speed shifter proves easy to shift quickly, with only one missed shift in eight runs, though as a mechanism it's nowhere near as delightful to snick around as a 911's
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Eh...not a corvette fan though this gen looks decent.

Not surprised the 991S with nearly 15% less power and more than 40% less tq will still own it in a straight and obliterate it on the track. Was surprised the jag d sport is faster though.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I'm excited to say it atleast sounds similar to my Z06 and because of that I do have interest in seeking out any new C7 that may host a Z06 /ZR1 badge or anything with 550+ HP. All the things I don't like about my current C6 are fixed in the C7. It's about time!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
bimmer32five
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2015 X5 35i

991s smoking the Vette by .2 seconds according to car & driver is hardly smoking it. That close and it comes down to drivers.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

And this is just the base model, starting at $51,995. The aforementioned 911S starts at $98,900, the supercharged F-Type, $92,000. I don't even know how you can compare them.

Last edited by CirrusSR22; 07-24-2013 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post

Not surprised the 991S with nearly 15% less power and more than 40% less tq will still own it in a straight and obliterate it on the track. Was surprised the jag d sport is faster though.
I'm not sure if you understand basic physics, but the 911 has a goddamn engine pressing the rear tires to the ground and a PDK transmission with extremely short gear ratios that give it a clear straight line advantage.

Whether or not you like the C7 or corvettes in general is cool, to each their own. But don't dismiss its capabilities since they're clearly extraordinary for an OEM offering at such a bargain price.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:

Your comment.....eh. Insecure much?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

I want one. Now if only I could find that 60k I buried in the yard . . .
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
Your comment.....eh. Insecure much?
Lol not at all...and coming from the guy who only likes to say derogatory things about Porsches in threads regarding Porsche's cars, LMFAO.

Just stating some facts since the article seems to think the two are somehow competitors.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Whether you want to admit it or not, they are competitors. And like I've said before, I like porsches, I dont love them. I find them very overpriced and people on the forum worship them as if they are the benchmark.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Lol not at all...and coming from the guy who only likes to say derogatory things about Porsches in threads regarding Porsche's cars, LMFAO.

Just stating some facts since the article seems to think the two are somehow competitors.
.2 seconds isn't obliterating the Corvette though. Maybe when they do their full test, they can improve their time.

All that .2 second difference means is it is a drivers race.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Whether you want to admit it or not, they are competitors. And like I've said before, I like porsches, I dont love them. I find them very overpriced and people on the forum worship them as if they are the benchmark.
That's because they offer a type of handling and feel that you can't quantify into 0-60 times or corner G force. To own and drive one is to know and understand. I don't the think the cars are over priced the options are the crazyness, so we agree there.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Imagine what the Z06 will do... This car is amazing, and a bargain compared to the competition.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 01:56 AM   #14
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
In terms of performance, yes a 991S and a corvette are competitors, but price point is vastly different.
And yes, Porsche is absolutely the benchmark! It always has been and the fact that the article continually mentions how the stingray compares to the 911 proves the 911 is the car to which it's being benchmarked against.
Price point aside, it's amazing a car with 400 hp and 325 lb ft of tq is handily beating a car with 55 hp and almost 140 lb ft of tq more and both weight about the same. Mind you the 991S traps higher too and puts down track times that are supercar fast and from what I've seen the stingray won't match those either.
I think it's great value in the corvette but there are things I could never get over in them.
As far as price, most cars are overpriced. But again, brand marques like Porsche and Ferrari and the likes can charge whatever they want because their products command those prices and people willingly pay. Chevy is not one of those brands. Plus the quality, intangibles and ownership experience to boot are vastly different.
I don't think 911s are overpriced. If you go crazy with them yes they can be but they are a highly customizable car and that carries a price. Generally you don't need to add a lot to them. Nav is standard in the 991 so other than heated/ventilated seats and maybe sport exhaust what else could you need? You can have one for a reasonable price and the performance and handling is worthy of that price.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^
Add PDCC and PTV and you have a machine.

I admire them both. Because of its great price, I would put a Stingray in parking spaces I would not in a 991. It is not a cheap car, just a cheaper car in the comparison.

Anything over 100K would get a little more respect from me when trying to get a spot.
The Vette will take inconsiderate ding dongs door abuse better too.

Two golf bags go in the Stingray !!!!
      07-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
In terms of performance, yes a 991S and a corvette are competitors, but price point is vastly different.
And yes, Porsche is absolutely the benchmark! It always has been and the fact that the article continually mentions how the stingray compares to the 911 proves the 911 is the car to which it's being benchmarked against.
Price point aside, it's amazing a car with 400 hp and 325 lb ft of tq is handily beating a car with 55 hp and almost 140 lb ft of tq more and both weight about the same. Mind you the 991S traps higher too and puts down track times that are supercar fast and from what I've seen the stingray won't match those either.
I think it's great value in the corvette but there are things I could never get over in them.
As far as price, most cars are overpriced. But again, brand marques like Porsche and Ferrari and the likes can charge whatever they want because their products command those prices and people willingly pay. Chevy is not one of those brands. Plus the quality, intangibles and ownership experience to boot are vastly different.
I don't think 911s are overpriced. If you go crazy with them yes they can be but they are a highly customizable car and that carries a price. Generally you don't need to add a lot to them. Nav is standard in the 991 so other than heated/ventilated seats and maybe sport exhaust what else could you need? You can have one for a reasonable price and the performance and handling is worthy of that price.
Not so fast. Edmunds tested the C7 and said the C7 performed better in every category than the last 991S PDK they tested.

It will be a dead heat in a straightline(C/D's last 991S trapped 118 vs 117 for the C7) and I actually look for the Vette to run the quicker times at the track due to its higher grip. Edmunds said it was the highest skidpad number of any production car with street tires they've ever tested. It did 1.11g in MT, 1.08 in Edmunds, and 1.08 for C/D. That's outrageous. Its got just as much grip as the old C6 Z06/ZR1 with Cup tires.

So for track times at least, I don't see where you would think the 991S would be quicker. Especially now that the Corvette is much easier to push due to the new eLSD and integrated chassis controls.

Yes, the Corvette team said themselves that they benchmarked the 991 for the C7. The goal was to make a car competitive regardless the price point and they did that very well IMO. The price is the cherry on top. And for those long trips, 29mpg isn't bad.

Last edited by See5; 07-25-2013 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #18
Hurricane
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 C63 507

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [10.00]
This is incredible performance for 52K!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #19
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Can't wait until the $35k 2014.5 Mustang runs the same times LOL. Going to be a lot of butthurt GM fans out there.
      07-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
See5
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
Can't wait until the $35k 2014.5 Mustang runs the same times LOL. Going to be a lot of butthurt GM fans out there.
It'll have to beat the Camaro at the track first.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #21
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Mind you the 991S traps higher too and puts down track times that are supercar fast and from what I've seen the stingray won't match those either.
That's the second time you've mentioned the 991S is faster on a track. What makes you think that? Here some data that shows, around VIR at least, the 991S will be slower.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10

The 991S is slower than even the Camaro ZL1. Much faster than both is the current Z06, a car that GM says this new C7 Stingray will beat (and the implication was around VIR).

Nurburgring times might be different with more sustained speed, but in this case the Porsche loses without a doubt. The last Z06 even beat the 2011 911 Turbo and 911 GT3.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
It'll have to beat the Camaro at the track first.
I probably won't be surprised to see it possibly get close to the Stingray in straight line times, but I would be shocked if it will keep up with it at the track.

The GT500 beats the ZL1 on the straights with its 80 HP advantage, but the GT500 is embarrassed on the track by the ZL1. The SS 1LE is about a second behind the GT500 in C&D's lightning lap. I expect the Z/28 to be faster than the GT500 around the track.

Quote:
Price point aside, it's amazing a car with 400 hp and 325 lb ft of tq is handily beating a car with 55 hp and almost 140 lb ft of tq more and both weight about the same.
Your bias is showing....

If a race comes down to the driver, the 991S is hardly handily beating the Stingray. And .2 seconds is not handily beating the Stingray. Faster? But, they are close to the point it's all up to the driver in the race.
Appreciate 0