BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

06-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E90 M3 6MT

my install/DIY (Morel, Jehnert, Arc Audio - many pics)

Here's my install/DIY. Major thanks to Ken (VP Electricity) of Musicar Northwest from whom I purchased all the components and to everyone here who helped with advise and questions I had. I went with the following:

Front: Morel Hybrid Ovation II components
Rear: Morel Integra Ovation XO coaxial
Underseat: Jehnert XE 200
Amp: 2x Arc Audio KS 125.4

Replace these:

With these:

In the boxes:

Wiring:

The Integra Ovation XO coaxials didn't have any insulation on their wiring contacts, so I replaced them with these Molex-like connectors which also aids in easy install/removal:

Crossovers on the rear deck:

Trim back in place:

Although the crossovers would fit in the front doors without me doing this, I scalloped out the Styrofoam so the crossovers would fit more securely:

Like this:

Finished:

Another angle:

I've never thought Dynamat was much use on non-metallic surfaces, but I had so much left over from a previous install I covered a good portion of the door panel. Passenger side:

Driver side:

The Hybrid Ovation II tweeters:

In order to get the tweeters to fit in the stock sail panel you need to cut off the plastic tabs inside of the tweeter hole, not the upright tabs that hold the tweeter in:

Like this:

Then the Hybrid Ovation II tweeter fits like it was made for this installation, although it takes a good bit of effort to get it in. Be very careful or you might damage the tweeter dome with the tabs that hold the tweeter in.

From the front:

To seal the woofers, I prefer to use this putty-like weatherstrip instead of the stick-on weatherstrip you see at the top of the picture. Weatherstrip on the enclosure:

And the Jehnert woofer:

Finished product next to stock:

Stock amp on stock amp rack:

The Arc amps are so thin I was happy I could use the stock amp rack with another rack I made of 1/2" MDF:

For the bottom amp:

For the top amp:

Both amps:

Finished rack:

Installing rack in car:

Bottom rack installed:

Bottom amp installed:

Both amps installed:

Finished (I reoriented the fuse/distribution block because my original location protruded to far out for the trunk trim panel fit flush against the side of the car):

Pretty much done... even without the fuse/distribution block on top, the amps are just a bit too tall for the standard trunk trim. I've ordered the higher CD changer trim which my dealer says will take a few weeks to arrive from Germany:

My connection to the main fuse/distribution block:

The sound is breathtaking. I choose the Jehnerts over the Earthquake SWSs because I mostly listen to alternative rock and Ken said the Jehnerts were more musical vs. the Earthquakes which play lower and pound harder. Even so, these Jehnerts play plenty low and hit hard when I play techno. So far I don't think I need a trunk sub. That's about it. Thanks for reading.
'11 BMW E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Dude! Sweet install! That looks great!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Nice job!
      06-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The sound is breathtaking. ...these Jehnerts play plenty low and hit hard when I play techno. So far I don't think I need a trunk sub
:]
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
Pearlwhitem3
modulare 20" 3 piece, carbon roof and tons of mods
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 white m3 e90 6 spd

Did you use a processor to convert the digs? I.e.(audison bit one?)

Also do you mind if I ask how much everything cost? Been considering the same kind of setup. Did you utilize rear door speakers and center channel as well?

It looks like you did a great install. Very meticulous.
      06-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
How come you used the last slot on the distribution block?
I thought that was not connected to the battery?
      06-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlwhitem3 View Post

Also do you mind if I ask how much everything cost? Been considering the same kind of setup. Did you utilize rear door speakers and center channel as well?

A HiFi car doesn't have two sets of rears nor a center grill. He wanted good old two-channel. I couldn't talk him out of rears (I tried

The HiFi system has front and rear analog balanced outs and these amps accept balanced in on the rcas. He could have used a processor, but it isn't essential with a hiFi car ( as it is with a Top HiFi car or a non-M base Stereo car).
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the e-praise everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
How come you used the last slot on the distribution block?
I thought that was not connected to the battery?
Everything I read says those last slots aren't powered, but while I was waiting for my 1,200 mile service I picked up a spare fuse block from the parts department and found all 7 slots had blades in them. #6 is 80 amps and #7 is unfused. I later found that the fuse block that came with my car is like I've seen on the forums, with 5 blades and the last 2 totally blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
A HiFi car doesn't have two sets of rears nor a center grill. He wanted good old two-channel. I couldn't talk him out of rears (I tried

The HiFi system has front and rear analog balanced outs and these amps accept balanced in on the rcas. He could have used a processor, but it isn't essential with a hiFi car ( as it is with a Top HiFi car or a non-M base Stereo car).
Yes indeed the M3 base "Hi Fi" system is an upgrader's dream. Powerful, flat, balanced differential signal to the stock amp, no LOC required. I still might go with some kind of sound processing/EQ in the future. I figure if I decide to get a trunk sub (which would be the Musicar bass module) I'd use the KS125.4 I'm running bridged stereo for the Jenherts right now. I'd run 2 channels (2x75) for the Jenherts - I'd need something to band-pass them - and use the other channels bridged (1x250) for the sub. Some might think that's not enough for a sub but I've got a 10" trunk sub with 200 watts going to it in another car and it's plenty.
'11 BMW E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
MudPhud
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP,E70 X5 V8,F15 X5 V8

Nice.
2011 BMW E70 X5 V8TT Titanium Silver | Black/Walnut
2002 BMW E46 330i Topaz Blue | Gray/Aluminum | 5-speed | Sport (retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I didn't use any damping material on my door panels as it didn't seem necessary considering there was only a 4" driver on there. Do you think it actually helped? I already used up my supply of RAAmat so it wouldn't make sense for me to buy another roll just for that but I'm curious to know if you noticed a difference.
      06-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I didn't use any damping material on my door panels as it didn't seem necessary considering there was only a 4" driver on there. Do you think it actually helped? I already used up my supply of RAAmat so it wouldn't make sense for me to buy another roll just for that but I'm curious to know if you noticed a difference.
I didn't try the aftermarket system with and without Dynamat, so I can't really compare if it made a difference, but I doubt it made any difference. When I knocked on the door panel with Dynamat it sounded essentially the same as the door panel without Dynamat.
'11 BMW E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlwhitem3 View Post

Thanks. I sent you a PM. I believe VP Electricity answered your other questions.
'11 BMW E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
isakhnov
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 M5 CP - SG/AB

Great work, what was the budget for this?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #15
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Great install...nice job!

Now that you've lived with the system for a few months, is there anything you would have done differently?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #16
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Nice work!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
Great install...nice job!

Now that you've lived with the system for a few months, is there anything you would have done differently?
Thanks. That's a good question. I wouldn't have done anything differently - it still makes me giddy every time I turn it up when not enjoying the engine/exhaust - but I am upgrading the bass. I'm quite satisfied with the bass the Jehnerts put out, but I'm certainly pushing them to their limits and would probably blow them out before long. I've purchased an Arc Audio KS 500.1 Mini and E90 trunk enclosure with Morel Ultimo 10 SC from VP electricity. An Audison BitOne will be handling the crossover duties (needed a somewhat sophisticated crossover to actively bandpass the Jehnerts - time alignment and EQ are nice too). I've already installed the extra amp and Audison, all 3 amps and BitOne fit under the trunk trim on the left. Looks totally stock and nothing's under the trunk floor. I only received the sub recently and will be installing it soon but will need a pro to help tune everything. Naturally more pics to follow...
'11 BMW E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
Thanks. That's a good question. I wouldn't have done anything differently - it still makes me giddy every time I turn it up when not enjoying the engine/exhaust - but I am upgrading the bass. I'm quite satisfied with the bass the Jehnerts put out, but I'm certainly pushing them to their limits and would probably blow them out before long.
Glad to hear, very useful information for those of us contemplating our own installs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidZ View Post
I've purchased an Arc Audio KS 500.1 Mini and E90 trunk enclosure with Morel Ultimo 10 SC from VP electricity...I've already installed the extra amp and Audison, all 3 amps and BitOne fit under the trunk trim on the left. Looks totally stock and nothing's under the trunk floor. I only received the sub recently and will be installing it soon but will need a pro to help tune everything. Naturally more pics to follow...
Looking forward to the pics! I really like the idea of avoiding a false floor. In my case (1M install), I'm trying to retain as much trunk space as possible. Keeping system weight down is also a plus.

With the addition of the sub, will you be reducing the power to the Jehnerts? You're at 250Wx2 now, right
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #19
Sully1Time
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18' MR440i

Garage List
Any updates?
      02-17-2013, 02:44 AM   #20
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is DCT

Hi, looks like a great setup. I've spoken with Ken in the past as well, and he recommended a similar setup. Have you installed the trunk sub, and how do you like the BitOne? I would like to have an OEM stealth setup, and it seems almost too good to be true that everything fits with just the CDC trim piece! I'm still learning and deciding what kind of upgrade I want to do for my EPS, so any info/pics would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #21
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Son of a gun, that's some nice work David.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

it baffles the mind a lay person could do an install like this!.
Appreciate 0