BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

INDustry distribution

01-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
DoNDoN
Colonel

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 AW

After the Powerchip GB in the DC area

First off let me tell you what mods I have. I am running the Fabspeed HFC and X pipe, Eisenmann Race exhaust, MS Filter, an AA pulley and AA software. I was very skeptical about doing the Powerchip since having the AA software did nothing for me. After reading many reviews I decided to take the plunge and do software tuning one more time. I am glad I did.

For all of those people who think the M3 lacks in low end torque you need to look at getting this tune with the Fabspeed things. The car is a lot more smoother and a lot more powerful. The low end is definitely better and the mid to high rpms go by so fast its like a totally different car. Those who know me have known I have been complaining about changing my car since I have been bored with it. After driving it today I think I have changed my mind.

One of my friends did a baseline dyno on Friday and he is getting a dyno done Monday so I will update you guys on the numbers.

I would like to thank Ben335 for being a wonderful host. I would also like to thank Mike at Powerchip for being easy to deal with and very open to any questions any of us had.

If you're on the fence about doing this I hope I have helped you make your decision a little easier. I am glad I did it and would not hesitate to do it again.
      01-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider

Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNDoN View Post
First off let me tell you what mods I have. I am running the Fabspeed HFC and X pipe, Eisenmann Race exhaust, MS Filter, an AA pulley and AA software. I was very skeptical about doing the Powerchip since having the AA software did nothing for me. After reading many reviews I decided to take the plunge and do software tuning one more time. I am glad I did.

For all of those people who think the M3 lacks in low end torque you need to look at getting this tune with the Fabspeed things. The car is a lot more smoother and a lot more powerful. The low end is definitely better and the mid to high rpms go by so fast its like a totally different car. Those who know me have known I have been complaining about changing my car since I have been bored with it. After driving it today I think I have changed my mind.

One of my friends did a baseline dyno on Friday and he is getting a dyno done Monday so I will update you guys on the numbers.

I would like to thank Ben335 for being a wonderful host. I would also like to thank Mike at Powerchip for being easy to deal with and very open to any questions any of us had.

If you're on the fence about doing this I hope I have helped you make your decision a little easier. I am glad I did it and would not hesitate to do it again.
      01-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
DoNDoN
Colonel

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Why the sad face? Please tell me if I made a wrong choice. I am always open to opinions or comments. You can PM me if you like.
      01-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
srobmw
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 IB M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to srobmw
Good choice on the Powerchip and I couldn't agree more. How do you like the Eisenmann race exhaust? I'm starting to get the itch.
      01-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
dhoggm3
Captain

Drives: F80 E93 E36 M3, F430, 981 BS

Another GB customer checks in:

The host: Ben shoeed great hospitality and opened his great Alexandria home to all of us. More importantly, he labored the day before to get a pot of chili going for us. This stuff is killer good! I was a judge for the annual chili cookoff in Evansville, IN when I lived there, and I can tell you Ben's chili has the flavor. Unexpected pleasure. Thank you, Ben!

The process: there was a logjam at Powerchip that meant I was at Ben's for more than 4 hours. Waiting for Powerchip. We figured since they're California types they were out surfing or doing illegal substances or something. Ben managed to read all of our ECU's (7 yesterday) and I was the first one finished.

My mods: AA pulley and AA exhaust, plus Sunoco 93 (sorry, Calif). MS filter on the way but not here yet. Powerchip gives you the option of raising the rev limit and top speed - or not. I elected not to do that because I want my beautiful V8 to go for a long time, and I don't track the car. Nobody will let me...

The result: Before I pulled out of Ben's garage I noticed a smoothness in the motor I'd never felt/heard before. Some on the board have noted this with the AA tune as well. I liked the harsher firing sequencing of the stock tune, but I like this more. On the way home (2 hour drive) the BD noticed substantially more torque throughout the range. No CEL's whatsoever. What drove this home was that I had the iphone sitting on the passenger seat, cruising along at 75, and I punched it in 6th to pass. The phone immediately slid to the back of the seat and smacked up against the seatback. This had never happened before. DonDon's dyno run will tell more scientifically, but for now I'm totally satisfied.

The sound: We should probably start a new thread on the exhaust comparo we did with 7 gearhead M3's there - you could imagine the mix. For me, I had gone for the most Ferrari-like sound I could find, and got the AA. It is indeed the one that sounds the closest to the prancing horse. Now, with the tune, it sounds almost dead-on. Sick.

Summary: From the results the Powerchip boys were probably not smoking dope out there. Just a little snafu. I highly recommend this mod so far. When you compare it to the price of lots of other silly things we buy for our cars, it's a bargain.

Never leave a car completely stock!
dhoggm3 is offline   United_States
      01-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Ford Super Duty

Interested as well with the sad face?
Martin_D is offline   United_States
      01-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
bren335i
Banned

Drives: E60 M5

unnecessary drama to me.
      01-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Why are you unhappy that he is thrilled with his Powerchip performance upgrade? What do you have against us?

It's clearly the best tune on the market at this point in time. Your comment on this thread is unwarranted and unnecessary. We've tuned well over 100 M3's with great success.

I would really like to know what your qualm is with us so it may be resolved.

dhoggm3: Sorry for the delay while you were there. We had an issue with our flash tool and resolved it as fast as we could. I think it was worth it in the end

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the tune and it was very nice working with everyone over the weekend to make it happen. Those of you interested in gaining more information about the tune please contact me directly at mbenvo@powerchipgroup.com or at the number listed in my signature.

Thank you,

Mike Benvo

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by Mike Benvo; 01-24-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
      01-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
tinpot
Captain

Drives: 05 E46 M3

DoNDoN thanks for the write-up and congrats on the tune! I have similar aftermarket parts to you and after the Powerchip tune my experience in drive quality was similar: smoother shifting, more power, and an increase in low end torque. Traction is now a problem for me so Im looking forward to getting new wheels to help in this department.

Quote:

01-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
Alpine335TT
Major

Drives: LCI E92 M-Sport 335i

Nice Don! I've been hearing a lot about this power chip. Looking forward to seeing you on the road

MISCHIEF.TV
      01-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
MShao825
Go Terps!

Drives: 2009 SSII/FR E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine335TT View Post
Nice Don! I've been hearing a lot about this power chip. Looking forward to seeing you on the road
Don and I may finally be able to hang with you now Phil
      01-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #12
bren335i
Banned

Drives: E60 M5

paging Lemans Blue M
      01-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
Alpine335TT
Major

Drives: LCI E92 M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshao825 View Post
Don and I may finally be able to hang with you now Phil

MISCHIEF.TV
      01-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #14
King Tut
Individual LSB - Rust Brown

Drives: 2012 BMW M3 Coupe Individual

Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren335i View Post
paging Lemans Blue M
The sad face is because you guys aren't presenting any numbers. You are basing your opinion solely on a seat of the pants feeling. This is no different then the guys who say the car is a whole nother animal with Sport mode turned on when all it does is remap the throttle position.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
King Tut is offline   United_States
      01-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #15
TLud
Colonel

Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
The sad face is because you guys aren't presenting any numbers. You are basing your opinion solely on a seat of the pants feeling. This is no different then the guys who say the car is a whole nother animal with Sport mode turned on when all it does is remap the throttle position.
+1

I can understand not dynoing certain mods, like an aftermarket air filter or axle-back exhaust, because the effects will be so minimal, but I don't understand why you wouldn't want to dyno something as major as a software tune to have a better idea of its effect on your car, regardless of who's doing it. When I got my PC tune (which I'm very, very happy with), I wanted to know exactly where my gains were (and how much) and to be sure that everything checked out, at least in terms of a/f ratios. In fact, once I posted up a dyno, some members were able to point out a potential issue, which turned out to be nothing.
      01-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #16
xxe92xx
Banned

Drives: 08 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
+1

I can understand not dynoing certain mods, like an aftermarket air filter or axle-back exhaust, because the effects will be so minimal, but I don't understand why you wouldn't want to dyno something as major as a software tune to have a better idea of its effect on your car, regardless of who's doing it. When I got my PC tune (which I'm very, very happy with), I wanted to know exactly where my gains were (and how much) and to be sure that everything checked out, at least in terms of a/f ratios. In fact, once I posted up a dyno, some members were able to point out a potential issue, which turned out to be nothing.

The OP stated:
Quote:
      01-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
Lemans_Blue_M

Quote:
      01-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #18
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
They posted their initial impressions, and then clearly said that a before and after would be posted once the latter dyno is sampled.

Until then, here's a couple past dynos (one showing the tune w/ the fabspeed setup, and the second one without), plus a smiley face to negate your sad face:
Attached Images

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
      01-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #19
bigpuna
Private

Drives: Z4 35i / E92 M3

Make sure to post up your AFR's.
      01-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #20
Lemans_Blue_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpuna View Post
Make sure to post up your AFR's.
      01-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #21
ThorPR
Let's Race

Drives: 2010 BMW M3

Dyno's are so unpredictable. There are so many variables that determine the amount of HP and TQ you will see. Temperature, elevation, and humidity will play a role. The one thing I agree on is that you have to be able to see the AFR associated with those numbers. This is crucial in order to protect your engine.

I used to run a very aggressive tune for my GT500. The tune would give me the highest numbers but would require me to run 100 octane. It was imperative to know the AFR. When you are running at the limit you only need one bad batch of gas and your engine is gone.
Attached Images

2010 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White - DCT
ThorPR is offline   United_States
      01-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #22
dhoggm3
Captain

Drives: F80 E93 E36 M3, F430, 981 BS

OK, DonDon, how'd the dyno run go? These dudes think we're makin' it up...

Never leave a car completely stock!
dhoggm3 is offline   United_States