BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

08-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
NoSoupForU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 LCI 335i

Pic Request: Child seat in E92 M3

Anybody have pics of a child seat in an E92? Would a rear facing seat be possible if there was nobody riding shotgun?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
geoff2010
Mmmmmkay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 S6 + 2017 340 M sport

I have a 3 month old girl and a 6 year old boy. My girl sits in a rear facing seat, and my boy in a full back booster. My wife can fit just fine in the passenger seat. I would highly suggest getting the type of rear facing seat which has a base which stays in the car, and the seat part unlocks and comes out with the baby in it.

Being able to strap her in outside the car makes things 100x easier.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

That's nasty. Take that seat apart and wash it!!!

For the OP, you'll have to get the smallest rear facing you can find. Not some HUGE Britax Boulevard.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 09:18 AM   #4
NoSoupForU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 LCI 335i

Thanks for the Pics! Hopefully my baby will be front facing by the time I get the M.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertige View Post
Here you go. My son's 17 months old and he loves being in the M. By the way, the gap t-shirt is there because he had an "explosion" on his back. Ah... the joys of being a papa...
Does the child seat crease the seats? We have an Orbit child seat in our other car and it definitely leaves indentations in the leather even though I have tried putting cloths down for protection.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
NetBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

I have a E93 and went shopping last weekend for infant carriers. I have a baby on the way in December.
I found the Chicco Keyfit 30 fit in the back rear facing and I was able to take out the carrier. The front seat was up but I (5'10") was still able to sit OK. The Graco Snugride 32 was a very tight fit, I'd have to move up the seat then back again everytime to get the carrier out.
Also the Keyfit can have the handle up while driving.

I'd love to get the Britax Chaperone but none for sale locally for me to test fit and I read it's a huge carrier. But it's the safest seat with true side impact protection and the anti rebound bar.

I have a Britax Roundabout 50 and can take pics of it rear facing if you want. No plans on using the first year but I got it super cheap and they last 5 years.

I'm also shopping for a heavy duty car seat pad. I left a heavy box in my back seat for two days and it left a good indent in the leather.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
Silvertige
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 e92 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
Does the child seat crease the seats? We have an Orbit child seat in our other car and it definitely leaves indentations in the leather even though I have tried putting cloths down for protection.
Yep, I placed a thick towel and a child seat mat but the indentations are still there although lessened. I've just accepted that as the price of being a parent.
      08-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2010 View Post
I have a 3 month old girl and a 6 year old boy. My girl sits in a rear facing seat, and my boy in a full back booster. My wife can fit just fine in the passenger seat. I would highly suggest getting the type of rear facing seat which has a base which stays in the car, and the seat part unlocks and comes out with the baby in it.

Being able to strap her in outside the car makes things 100x easier.
So you can comfortably get two kids in the back seat?

I ask because I was DEAD SET on getting the E92 but my wife is delievering twin girls in October, so i kinda 86'd the coupe idea and am now planning on getting the Sedan...
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #9
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

I think it would be a very tight fit to get two rear facing seats in a coupe. He is saying one rear facing seat and a booster which is a totally different thing. I have a sedan and can get three booster seats across the back for my 6 year old twins and an eight year old daughter. The two extra doors is going to make it way easier to get the twin girls out of the back IMHO.

Congrats on the twins and good luck!
      08-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #10
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRoaster View Post
I think it would be a very tight fit to get two rear facing seats in a coupe. He is saying one rear facing seat and a booster which is a totally different thing. I have a sedan and can get three booster seats across the back for my 6 year old twins and an eight year old daughter. The two extra doors is going to make it way easier to get the twin girls out of the back IMHO.

Congrats on the twins and good luck!
Thanks man! You have twins too, very cool, a lot of diaper changes early on huh?
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:56 PM   #11
Cyber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08

Here are some E93:

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #12
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep

That seems like ages ago but yes, lots of diapers. Enjoy the good times but expect the rough times as well. The whole time flies thing had little meaning to me until we had kids. Our twins are a boy and a girl. Do you know if your girls are identical or fraternal? The identical twins really seem to have a special bond. Our twins are total opposites but they get along great.

As far as the car goes, if it is not the main transport for the girls and you are set on the coupe go for it. I didn't have much choice because I needed something that could take all five of us. I like the way the sedan looks and the performance is about the same or better depending on who you listen to. I happen to like the way it looks over the E92 but maybe that is because I am old
      08-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #13
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That seems like ages ago but yes, lots of diapers. Enjoy the good times but expect the rough times as well. The whole time flies thing had little meaning to me until we had kids. Our twins are a boy and a girl. Do you know if your girls are identical or fraternal? The identical twins really seem to have a special bond. Our twins are total opposites but they get along great.

As far as the car goes, if it is not the main transport for the girls and you are set on the coupe go for it. I didn't have much choice because I needed something that could take all five of us. I like the way the sedan looks and the performance is about the same or better depending on who you listen to. I happen to like the way it looks over the E92 but maybe that is because I am old
I'm not a selfish guy, but these are going to be my first kids and I knwo I have NO IDEA what I am in for. I know once the kids come it will no longer be me/my wife first.

They think they are fraternal girls. Totally seperate placentas and sacks (probably not the medical term but whatever). Obviously we won't be 100% sure till there here, but Dr said 95% fraternal.

The Sedan will probably be the right car for me. Kids aside, my wife will get my Range Rover, I will use the car for work too, so it will be easier getting clients in and out of the sedan than coupe.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 05:56 AM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I think it would be a very tight fit to get two rear facing seats in a coupe.
Agree, but I think it would be just as difficult in a sedan also. In general, two rear facing seats in a 3 series, plus tall parents is a no-go. If you are short, you could maybe tough if out for that first year.

Quote:
He is saying one rear facing seat and a booster which is a totally different thing.
Yep. Works perfect in both our E93 M3 and E90 335i.

Quote:
The two extra doors is going to make it way easier to get the twin girls out of the back IMHO.
Absolutely. Even easier - E93 with top down. Of course, the latter is not recommended for daily procedure, and won't work for a good part of the year if you live in the snow belt (like me ).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 06:18 AM   #15
ching
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

The amount of interior room between the coupe and sedan is the same.

Getting the sedan will give you much easier access to the back, which when you're tired and your kids are screaming and its raining and you just want to rush home... is important.

Also, you will need to open the coupe doors much wider in order to access the back properly. I know we all like to park away from other folks, but if you can't, it becomes a real PITA to fit your kids in while holding your door so as to not hit the other car.
      08-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
Mother
Rep
Drives: 2007 Charger SRT8, FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
I'm not a selfish guy, but these are going to be my first kids and I knwo I have NO IDEA what I am in for. I know once the kids come it will no longer be me/my wife first.

They think they are fraternal girls. Totally seperate placentas and sacks (probably not the medical term but whatever). Obviously we won't be 100% sure till there here, but Dr said 95% fraternal.

The Sedan will probably be the right car for me. Kids aside, my wife will get my Range Rover, I will use the car for work too, so it will be easier getting clients in and out of the sedan than coupe.
Be prepared for bits and pieces of snacks, spilled drinks, foot prints, etc. in your car. UNAVOIDABLE. Once you get past any compulsive cleaning tendencies you may have, you'll get along fine. *I tried to keep my car clean daily, and it nearly drove me to insanity.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #17
Koroush
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: nothing

No kids in MY m3, ever.

I advise you all do the same.
      08-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroush View Post
No kids in MY m3, ever.

Tantamount to advising people either not to have kids, or to turn the M3 into a garage queen. Neither works for me, nor most others I'd expect. But, sure, a very small minority will be thankful for your advice.

People always recommend not driving the M3 in the snow either. But, when someone at the M school mentioned driving their M3 year round in Boston, they got huge props from the instructors.

The M3 is not an exotic. And if it feels like it is, then you just might have overspent.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #19
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Tantamount to advising people either not to have kids, or to turn the M3 into a garage queen. Neither works for me, nor most others I'd expect. But, sure, a very small minority will be thankful for your advice.

People always recommend not driving the M3 in the snow either. But, when someone at the M school mentioned driving their M3 year round in Boston, they got huge props from the instructors.

The M3 is not an exotic. And if it feels like it is, then you just might have overspent.
^ +1,000,000,000
      08-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #20
geoff2010
Mmmmmkay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 S6 + 2017 340 M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroush View Post
No kids in MY m3, ever.

You aren't the same guy who taped his entire car with blue masking tape, are you?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #21
eaglesfan83
FIRE TOEZ!!!!!
Rep
Drives: Pending Order

Garage List
You can easily fit two car seats in the back. My fiancee has a 3 year old and he fits with plenty of room behind the passenger seat even when I am not driving at 5'10 with the seat pushed back he still has plenty of room and he loves the car. Fitting a second seat in there would be no issue. I love getting married to a BMW enthusiats as she has already stated there is NO NEED for a 4 door just because you have kids, thats what the X5 is for second M3 coupe on the way!

And to the above with no kids in the M3? Why not? Her car is in pristine condition, but I guess that is because he is well behaved. Nothing has ever been spilled and he just sits there and either enjoys the ride or watches a movie.
Pending- Something New and BMW
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #22
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan83 View Post
I love getting married to a BMW enthusiats as she has already stated there is NO NEED for a 4 door just because you have kids, thats what the X5 is for second M3 coupe on the way!
I would skip the X5 completely and get a 3 or 5 wagon. Actually I'd probably just skip the 3rd vehicle completely. That is unless you really need to haul stuff on a regular basis. SUV = unfun driving experience. Life is too short for that.

Quote:
And to the above with no kids in the M3? Why not? Her car is in pristine condition, but I guess that is because he is well behaved. Nothing has ever been spilled and he just sits there and either enjoys the ride or watches a movie.
You've never raised kids from birth though right? The car gets dirty, especially as you add more kids. As noted above, mishaps occur. Plus, plenty of events require eating in the car - drive in movies (yep, they still have those) and drive up eateries (yep, they still have those too, ala Sonic for example). Or you pick the kid up from whereever and they are eating something. Or you are busy and just need to get the kids and/or yourself fed quickly. Or lots of other kid-centric things you don't think about until you actually have kids.

Not allowing anyone to eat in the car, IMHO, is like having that special formal room in your house where your mom won't let anyone go because it is too pristine. Or like your grandma putting slip covers on everything. Life is too short too stress out about such nonsense like that.
Appreciate 0