BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-27-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

First timer on the track in my E92 M3 DCT

One word: WOW!

In preface, I've had no track experience prior to today. I've been to a drag strip in a previous car, but after today, that shit is for the birds! I signed up for a local performance driving school (Apex Driving Academy at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX) in the novice group, although I didn't stay there long.

As far as configuration, I had DCT set to S5, M dynamic mode, EDC on max, and power setting on max (I maintained the same config the whole time.) So after a little classroom time, we finally got out on the track. Since I was initially running in the novice group, they had us do the slalom and a hard braking at first with introductions on sticking a line, etc. Nothing too hard here, but the car did the slalom absolutely flawlessly at 60+ MPH and the brakes performed perfectly, as expected.

After another classroom session, we went back out for our first laps at yellow flag speed (I'll have to admit that most of us didn't really adhere to the "steady pace" thing.) Naturally the point of this exercise was to get us educated on driving lines, getting us familiar with the way our cars handled, etc. We did no passing during this run so traffic stacked up after just a couple hard laps. The car handled spot on as it should.

After yet another classroom session, it was time to have some real balls to the wall fun. After our instructors did a couple laps in our cars, we switched off and no limitations driving was on. The M3 just has tons of grip and nothing but impressive suspension characteristics. I got the hang of things pretty quickly and was easily able to pass just about everyone in my group, including several E46 M3's and other BMWs. We did another set of classroom instruction and laps after which my instructor decided that I needed to be in the intermediate level. This is really where the fun began.

Now that I was out of the novice group, I was able to really get on it and not have to worry about about running up on too much slow traffic. We were really pushing it and the car handled the task like I was playing Gran Turismo. I was still able to pass many cars in the intermediate group...the poise of the car really is simply amazing. So amazing that it made me, an amateur, look like I had done it at least a few times before. That being said, once I got my lines down and got a real hold of the car, it was a walk in the park. We did a couple more runs and by the time I was on my last run of the day, I felt really comfortable and was easily running with heavily tuned cars on compound rubber.

Some observations:
1. DCT is FLAWLESS running the track in S5. It never missed a shift, no "lag", and lightning fast shifts as promised...really not a single flaw driving it hard. It gave me a decisive advantage.
2. I am running 19's on PS2's...I'm officially a huge fan of PS2's. Monster grip pretty much through and through. I did 2 30 minute runs consecutively without cooling down and they handled really well up until the last couple laps when I could tell they were getting a little too warm, but then again so were my brakes. After a cool down, they ran perfectly again.
3. The brakes were also flawless pretty much the whole time up until the end of the day when they got a little hot and mushy...although I did run them hard for 9 hours so I suppose that can be expected.
4. Boy this car is a gas hog. I filled up with 93 octane pump gas right before I hit the track...that tank lasted the first 3 runs (approx. 1.5 hours of run time.) After that tank, I filled 3/4 of a tank with 109 octane no lead. That lasted another couple runs then I was back at the pump. Filled up a whole tank this time and used just over half a tank in the last couple runs. I definitely had the high score with gas.
5. Unbeknown to me, track driving is extremely physically demanding, especially running as hard as I was. Running fast high G turns, through curvy sections, and braking into turns you really have to strain sometimes and hold on to the car. It was a hot day on top of that so everyone was sweating up a storm.

All in all, one of my favorite experiences so far in life. If you haven't ever gone to the track and done some good hard driving, what are you waiting for? Do it! It's absolutely awesome. As for me, I'm hooked! I'll be back to take more courses at Apex to continue to build proficiency as soon as I can buy some new rubber. It's REALLY addictive. When you hit your lines perfectly and you're passing cars that you know could run laps around you driven properly, it's enough to keep you coming back over and over again. I could have kept driving all night until I wasn't physically able to do it anymore...it's that fun. A side effect is my new fervent hatred for street racing...not that I ever was a huge fan of it before. Save that shit for the track! It's much safer and you'll get a lot out of it. So get out there and have a blast like I did today! I'm exhausted...it's time for a nap.

Attached is the course I ran...
Attached Images

Last edited by Blake; 09-27-2008 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Battle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Prius

Wow sounds like you had a blast. I cant wait to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakepilot View Post
One word: WOW!

In preface, I've had no track experience prior to today. I've been to a drag strip in a previous car, but after today, that shit is for the birds! I signed up for a local performance driving school (Apex Driving Academy at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX) in the novice group, although I didn't stay there long.

As far as configuration, I had DCT set to S5, M dynamic mode, EDC on max, and power setting on max (I maintained the same config the whole time.) So after a little classroom time, we finally got out on the track. Since I was initially running in the novice group, they had us do the slalom and a hard braking at first with introductions on sticking a line, etc. Nothing too hard here, but the car did the slalom absolutely flawlessly at 60+ MPH and the brakes performed perfectly, as expected.

After another classroom session, we went back out for our first laps at yellow flag speed (I'll have to admit that most of us didn't really adhere to the "steady pace" thing.) Naturally the point of this exercise was to get us educated on driving lines, getting us familiar with the way our cars handled, etc. We did no passing during this run so traffic stacked up after just a couple hard laps. The car handled spot on as it should.

After yet another classroom session, it was time to have some real balls to the wall fun. After our instructors did a couple laps in our cars, we switched off and no limitations driving was on. The M3 just has tons of grip and nothing but impressive suspension characteristics. I got the hang of things pretty quickly and was easily able to pass just about everyone in my group, including several E46 M3's and other BMWs. We did another set of classroom instruction and laps after which my instructor decided that I needed to be in the intermediate level. This is really where the fun began.

Now that I was out of the novice group, I was able to really get on it and not have to worry about about running up on too much slow traffic. We were really pushing it and the car handled the task like I was playing Gran Turismo. I was still able to pass many cars in the intermediate group...the poise of the car really is simply amazing. So amazing that it made me, an amateur, look like I had done it at least a few times before. That being said, once I got my lines down and got a real hold of the car, it was a walk in the park. We did a couple more runs and by the time I was on my last run of the day, I felt really comfortable and was easily running with heavily tuned cars on compound rubber.

Some observations:
1. DCT is FLAWLESS running the track in S5. It never missed a shift, no "lag", and lightning fast shifts as promised...really not a single flaw driving it hard. It gave me a decisive advantage.
2. I am running 19's on PS2's...I'm officially a huge fan of PS2's. Monster grip pretty much through and through. I did 2 30 minute runs consecutively without cooling down and they handled really well up until the last couple laps when I could tell they were getting a little too warm, but then again so were my brakes. After a cool down, they ran perfectly again.
3. The brakes were also flawless pretty much the whole time up until the end of the day when they got a little hot and mushy...although I did run them hard for 9 hours so I suppose that can be expected.
4. Boy this car is a gas hog. I filled up with 93 octane pump gas right before I hit the track...that tank lasted the first 3 runs (approx. 1.5 hours of run time.) After that tank, I filled 3/4 of a tank with 109 octane no lead. That lasted another couple runs then I was back at the pump. Filled up a whole tank this time and used just over half a tank in the last couple runs. I definitely had the high score with gas.
5. Unbeknown to me, track driving is extremely physically demanding, especially running as hard as I was. Running fast high G turns, through curvy sections, and braking into turns you really have to strain sometimes and hold on to the car. It was a hot day on top of that so everyone was sweating up a storm.

All in all, one of my favorite experiences so far in life. If you haven't ever gone to the track and done some good hard driving, what are you waiting for? Do it! It's absolutely awesome. As for me, I'm hooked! I'll be back to take more courses at Apex to continue to build proficiency as soon as I can buy some new rubber. It's REALLY addictive. When you hit your lines perfectly and you're passing cars that you know could run laps around you driven properly, it's enough to keep you coming back over and over again. I could have kept driving all night until I wasn't physically able to do it anymore...it's that fun. A side effect is my new fervent hatred for street racing...not that I ever was a huge fan of it before. Save that shit for the track! It's much safer and you'll get a lot out of it. So get out there and have a blast like I did today! I'm exhausted...it's time for a nap.

Attached is the course I ran...
      09-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Thanks for the great write! I can't wait to hit the track too!!
      09-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Nice write-up.....that new love and awww that you went through is so great to read about, so many over analyze their track experience almost like they forgot to stop and enjoy it.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
It's addicting ain't it????!!! I just ran my 18th driver school day at BMW CCAs O'fest at the Glen. The entire day was in the rain, but it didn't matter, this car is so well balanced I didn't get passed all day long, and even passed the WRXs in our group.

I love my M3 and I love the Glen. Video to follow
      09-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
When you go back try a few sessions with DSC off and then you can really appreciate what the car is made of

It will help to extend the life of your brakes a bit as well
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post
When you go back try a few sessions with DSC off and then you can really appreciate what the car is made of

It will help to extend the life of your brakes a bit as well
I don't agree that a novice should run with DSC completely off. MDM gives enough room to play around and learn the car with little to no interference. Especially when running on OEM street tires.
      09-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
It's addicting ain't it????!!! I just ran my 18th driver school day at BMW CCAs O'fest at the Glen. The entire day was in the rain, but it didn't matter, this car is so well balanced I didn't get passed all day long, and even passed the WRXs in our group.

I love my M3 and I love the Glen. Video to follow
very addicting. i was going to buy bling wheels soon, but instead i think i'm looking for a nice set of lightweight 18's wrapped in some good rubber i'm hooked. it only takes once. i had a blast and i was nailing everything. can't wait to go back out...hopefully sooner rather than later.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #9
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
I highly recommend running with the BMW CCA. Try them out and see what you think.
      09-27-2008, 11:01 PM   #10
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't agree that a novice should run with DSC completely off. MDM gives enough room to play around and learn the car with little to no interference. Especially when running on OEM street tires.
Ok so maybe after a couple of weekends, but the car performed better for me with DSC off. Everything was very predictable.

BMW has created such a balanced car
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 11:01 PM   #11
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post
eventually...i know my limits. i don't think i was ready for full dsc off today. i would have went off track a bunch of times. MDM is really solid though, IMHO. it keeps you from spinning but isn't overbearing. i wasn't timing my laps but i was passing A LOT of people all with the help of MDM and good lines.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 11:03 PM   #12
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I highly recommend running with the BMW CCA. Try them out and see what you think.
i think i'm going to go check one out next weekend. guy i met at MSR today is going to one next sunday so i said i might drop in and see what its all about. might as well use this membership, ya know?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 11:08 PM   #13
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
PCA, BMWCCA, TWS MSC and thedriversedge.net all run great events, there's usually a DE every other weekend somewhere in Texas, get some more!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 11:13 PM   #14
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
PCA, BMWCCA, TWS MSC and thedriversedge.net all run great events, there's usually a DE every other weekend somewhere in Texas, get some more!
thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 11:22 PM   #15
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Great post! I never knew about that track or driving school. I'll definitely be heading up there as well as doing some of the BMW CCA events!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #16
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

i'll post pictures as soon as they're available.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 01:34 AM   #17
stevespools
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3 IP  [0.00]
Great write-up
My first track day is in 2 weeks - can`t wait it`s great to hear you had that much fun the first time. Did you buy track insurance? I`m a little apprehensive about something happening to the car
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 05:02 AM   #18
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Superb write-up!!

This car comes to life on the track and is the only environment where you can push the car to the limit and really see what it can do!! What a car!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 06:31 AM   #19
avilab
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M Roadster

I've visited that track before. I think they're getting more and more people going out there. I used to live in Arlington, and that's where I'd go with buddies a few years back.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 06:54 AM   #20
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I attended my 4th lapping day last Thurs. at Pacific Raceways. Two of the events were with BMW CCA and two with the Alfa club. I must admit it took me a while to get comfortable, and I'm still a novice though I got moved up from the D to the C group.
Unbelievable fun as there is so much to work on to hit the line and drive smoothly etc.
      09-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #21
Babaganush
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M3

Just wanted to let you know that Eagles Canyon has opened up to the public once a month for track days. Only $150. Much different than MSR. Located in Slidell.
http://www.eaglescanyon.com/2008/home.php
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #22
sfbimmer13
Original Bavarian Heritage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT

very, very nice write up - I was in the same boat than you when I started tracking my M3...as skierman said beware it is highly addictive