BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
xigsrix
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 M3 - Charcoal Gray

M Settings 101

Can anyone tell me what each of the M settings actually do? Are there certain settings that should be used for certain situations (autocross, quarter mile, etc)?

For example, I was told that the Sport Plus Power setting doesn't actually make the car any faster and that it just changes the sensitivity/throw of the gas pedal to make you think/feel like you're going faster.

EDC: Unchanged vs. Comfort vs. Normal vs. Sport
DSC: Unchanged vs. Off vs. On vs. M Dynamic Mode
POWER: Unchanged vs. Normal vs. Sport vs. Sport Plus
Servotronic: Normal vs. Sport

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
EDC: This is your suspension settings, from soft to hard
DSC: This is your traction control, off, on or M mode which lets you slide a bit. "euro M mode is the best via tune"
POWER: This is your throttle response, think can raise it up to +25%
Servotronic: Steering response/firmness

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #3
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Xig, I'd suggest you just try your way around and find your own preferenses, which is the idea of the various adjustabilities really.
There are also a pile of threads (typically earlier ones) discussing the settings that might be worth having a look at.

Good luck with the buttons!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #4
Locksmythe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xigsrix View Post
Can anyone tell me what each of the M settings actually do? Are there certain settings that should be used for certain situations (autocross, quarter mile, etc)?

For example, I was told that the Sport Plus Power setting doesn't actually make the car any faster and that it just changes the sensitivity/throw of the gas pedal to make you think/feel like you're going faster.

EDC: Unchanged vs. Comfort vs. Normal vs. Sport
DSC: Unchanged vs. Off vs. On vs. M Dynamic Mode
POWER: Unchanged vs. Normal vs. Sport vs. Sport Plus
Servotronic: Normal vs. Sport

Thank you

The important thing to note here is the screen you are looking at sets the values that will be activated when you press the M key. You only get one set of options for the shortcut key, so set it to the ones you would use most often in a "spirited driving" scenario where you want to use your one shortcut key to automatically set all your preferences. If you choose "Unchanged" on the M button menu then the current value at the time you press the M key would not be affected. You might do this if, for instance, you frequently change your EDC values to match road conditions, which you would want to keep regardless of M being active or not.

I don't beleive there is any way other that turning on M mode to activate MDM for DSC, so if MDM is of interest to you, you kind of have to put it on your M button.

Note that there is another menu called the M Key settings (accessed by toggling all the way right in i-Drive menu) that sets default values when the car is turned on by the given keyfob. This is where you would set that to your less spirited preferences, for warm up or casual driving.

Last edited by Locksmythe; 03-20-2017 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Power doesn't actually increase the power, it just ups the throttle gain so you get wide open throttle at much less pedal travel. Imho this makes the throttle too on/off and darn near impossible to modulate. Most trackies don't use the Power setting.

DSC is your nanny button. On means the nanny is sitting next to you. Off means nanny's gone for tea and you're on your own, but you better be good or the car will punish you. MDM means the nanny will let you play a bit before she steps in and corrects your mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #6
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

The Power button makes your bearings bulletproof !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2017, 01:30 AM   #7
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium
The Power button makes your bearings bulletproof !
You're wrong...I just tested out your theory and the bullet went right thru the bearings
Appreciate 1