BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

07-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #1
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

GT4 vs M3 Comparo......what's your style?

Well, after 3 months and 2000 miles the time has come to express my thoughts on the GT4 as it compares to the E92 M3. Many have asked what I think and if Porsche is really all that people say it is. I will give my opinion and my opinion only. Some may agree while others may disagree with my views. Just remember, we all interpret things a little differently.

So let’s start with the obvious (Size and Weight). The GT4 is really a small car and it’s very apparent the minute you open the door. The M3 feels large and almost luxury car like in comparison. Now at 500+ lbs. lighter, the GT4 is definitely the winner in this category. The M3 carries its weight well but it’s still a heavy car. Although I will say…..the M3 doesn’t look heavy.

Creature Comforts…..I guess when you think about it, the M3 is more of a dual purpose car with daily drivability at the top and track performance next. I think the GT4 is the flip of that…..track performance first and some daily drivability tossed in. Here are a few comforts I missed early on……comfort access (not offered on the GT4), voice command (not offered on the GT4), power folding mirrors, and remote windows. But with the passing of time I’ve adjusted and these features are no longer a must have. With that said the GT4 has introduced a couple of features that I have fallen for……. touchscreen PCM (iDrive for the non-Porsche speaking crowd), and all the track apps and onboard information that’s available. The great thing about Porsche creature comforts are the ability to add or delete them during your build. Which I must say is an experience all to itself. It’s even more of an experience if you stay on the forums and read about all the features. I changed my build 4 times.

The Drive and all its glory……The very first thing I noticed was the smaller steering wheel. Even though I had the performance wheel in my M3, the factory M3 wheel is still much fatter than the Porsche steering wheel. Before anyone thinks how crazy is that I believe there’s some serious research behind this. My thoughts after some wheel time are……. with the less padded wheel you definitely have a greater feel for what’s happening on the road. Again, I think this goes back to my daily drivability statement earlier. This plays to the track rat more than the grocery getter or the person stuck in rush hour traffic. At the end of the day the performance wheel feels much better than the optional Alcantara GT4 wheel. But the road feel is much better in the GT4. Now the seats……..there’s no comparison here unless you own BMW performance seats. The optional full bucket seats are a winner hands down. Although it takes a routine to get in and out of them it’s totally worth it. Once you’re planted in the seat and you turn the key (yes turn the key…..no button to hit) you hear and feel a sound that just inspires confidence. The engine being directly behind you is like no other car feeling. And since we are talking engine, let’s go there. The S65 is a marvel and should be dipped in gold somewhere. I’ve never owned a car with such a sound and presence. BMW definitely hit the mark. The 3.8 in the GT4 is not as high strung but don’t let that fool you. I think stock for stock the GT4 sounds better out of the box. The pops and burbles you hear above 5000 RPM mean business. Let me add something interesting here……after a couple of trips in the GT4 with the CEO, she makes a comment that had me scratching my head. She said, “this is a quiet Porsche……the M3 sounded better to me” …….say what! All the flack I got for my loud, neighbors should hate you car and now you wish to give out props. SMDH……..keep in mind the M3 was a catless Dinan full exhaust.

The GT4 ride is somewhere between the M3’s normal and sport mode with no mods done. But once you change the chassis setting it’s very firm. It’s a notch above the M3’s sport mode. Again, think smooth track surface. And as a thought……I wonder how the GT4 would behave with a version of Euro MDM.

So now let me address the question that most have asked……how’s the HP drop I took? I’ll start by leaving this for reference:

E92 M3…….3500+ LBS w/ 414 HP
GT4……….2950+ LBS w/ 385 HP

Now I’m not a rocket scientist but I will say, I can feel the difference in less weight better than I felt the difference in adding bolt on HP. The horsepower war seems to be never ending. The idea of dropping weight is where the driving dynamics feel better to me. Now of course My M3 was a Dinan beast and on paper I added about 65 HP before it was all said and done. Again, no dyno facts just the Dinan charts. So to answer the question……the GT4 is similar in that you have to be in the sweet spot. Advantage is less weight and the sweet spot comes up quicker in the GT4. It’s not as long but you get there quick. Some complain about 2nd gear being long but I like the fact that I can do 85mph in second gear if I want to. Speaking of gear, the shifter in the GT4 is just incredible. Some compare it to that of the S2000 but I can’t make that reference. However, I will say it’s the best damn manual I’ve ever driven.

Wrap Up......So all in all these cars serve a “somewhat” similar purpose. I think it boils down to which dynamic is most important to you and your driving style ( Daily / Track or Track / Daily ). For me the M3 (so far) is the better daily duty car. But for the few spirited drives I’ve had I wouldn’t trade the GT4 for any M car. The GT4 is just more mechanical and raw feeling. It’s just flat out more fun to drive and the “smiles per mile” are greater. Let me add that I had both cars in the garage for about 10 days so I did some back to back driving to help me gauge the differences. I feel very fortunate to have owned a E92 with the best M car engine to date. But I feel twice as fortunate to own one of the first production GT4’s Porsche put on the street. Again, with only 2000 miles and no track time yet……my expectations have been surpassed greatly. I can’t wait until I have time for some track work. I know I’ll be itching to report my thoughts and feelings on that………. To Be Continued……………………………. Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
mreed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 | 2020 X3M

Nice write up. I've never driven the GT4, but I think it boils down to the fact that there are a lot of really great cars and depending on where you want to sacrifice, one will speak to you more than the other. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, do you have track time scheduled?
      07-22-2016, 08:47 AM   #3
BrewRifle
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MCB E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [7.56]
2013 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [8.00]
Very well written and thank you for the comparison. Got any photos of the GT4, I love sapphire blue?
      07-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
From what I've read, the GT4 sub 3000lbs weight is with the radio/AC delete, carbon ceramics, LWB's, and lithium ion battery. So I think most GT4's are in the 3000-3100 range. But with that said, most M3's are probably in the 3600-3700lbs range as well so your numbers are probably fair. It's funny how relative size and weight is though. The GT4 felt big and heavy when I got mine since my other car is the S2000. You can only imagine how it felt when I went from the M3 to the S2000.

I don't really get the shifter comparison to the S2000 except for both are the best for their era. The GT4 shifter throw is very long and gates are wide compared to the S2K, but a lot more direct and mechanical. The S2K shifter throw is extremely short and the gates are very narrow, but it has a very loose feel to it. I still can't decide which I like better. They are both good in different ways.

You gotta get it on the track. I think that's where the car really shines. Before I got mine on the track I thought it was a good car, but didn't match all the hype. But it's just fantastic on track.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Nice review! GT4 remains one of the few cars I see as a natural progression from a modded E9X. Good to hear you're enjoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
You gotta get it on the track. I think that's where the car really shines. Before I got mine on the track I thought it was a good car, but didn't match all the hype. But it's just fantastic on track.
How are your GT4 lap times around Laguna as compared to your E92 at its pinnacle?

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #6
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Nice review! GT4 remains one of the few cars I see as a natural progression from a modded E9X. Good to hear you're enjoying.

How are your GT4 lap times around Laguna as compared to your E92 at its pinnacle?
1:40.9 in the M3 on R comps. Ran a 1:40.4 in the GT4 on the first day with crappy stock alignment. Power to weight actually feels very similar between the GT4 and when my M3 was modded.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 04:08 PM   #7
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
1:40.9 in the M3 on R comps. Ran a 1:40.4 in the GT4 on the first day with crappy stock alignment. Power to weight actually feels very similar between the GT4 and when my M3 was modded.
Nice. Yep believe they're stride for stride down the straights. Ran nose to tail with one in my DCT w/ Akra and don't think the gap changed through 3rd and most of 4th gear.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 06:08 PM   #8
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreed View Post
Nice write up. I've never driven the GT4, but I think it boils down to the fact that there are a lot of really great cars and depending on where you want to sacrifice, one will speak to you more than the other. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, do you have track time scheduled?
Track time coming soon. Gotta start the wallet breaking process and get my wheels and tires really soon. Work has priority right now but the track is calling my name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRifle View Post
Very well written and thank you for the comparison. Got any photos of the GT4, I love sapphire blue?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1264389
Ask and you shall receive........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From what I've read, the GT4 sub 3000lbs weight is with the radio/AC delete, carbon ceramics, LWB's, and lithium ion battery. So I think most GT4's are in the 3000-3100 range. But with that said, most M3's are probably in the 3600-3700lbs range as well so your numbers are probably fair. It's funny how relative size and weight is though. The GT4 felt big and heavy when I got mine since my other car is the S2000. You can only imagine how it felt when I went from the M3 to the S2000.

I don't really get the shifter comparison to the S2000 except for both are the best for their era. The GT4 shifter throw is very long and gates are wide compared to the S2K, but a lot more direct and mechanical. The S2K shifter throw is extremely short and the gates are very narrow, but it has a very loose feel to it. I still can't decide which I like better. They are both good in different ways.

I read your track review and see you got beat with the understeer stick. Was it truly that bad? Did you attempt to make any adjustments while at the track? How different is the mid engine platform with weight transfer? I know everyone says it's great coming out of the corners........Phil
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #10
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
I read your track review and see you got beat with the understeer stick. Was it truly that bad? Did you attempt to make any adjustments while at the track? How different is the mid engine platform with weight transfer? I know everyone says it's great coming out of the corners........Phil
I had my bars set to soft front, hard rear before the track day because I knew it was going to be an issue. But only had -1.8/-1.6 degrees of camber. I haven't driven an m3 for almost a year now so it's hard to compare how the car felt on track with that. But it was very easy to control compared to my s2k. The car is very balanced though. But I highly recommend getting a proper track alignment if you don't want to kill your tires.

Appreciate 0