BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

View Poll Results: For those with EDC...
Had EDC Module failure: Fixed under warranty 13 12.75%
Had EDC Module Failure: Fixed outside of warranty 21 20.59%
Have had no issues with my EDC Module 68 66.67%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

07-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
houston
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

EDC Module failure? Running list of those affected?

Is there a list anywhere (similar to rod bearing) of people who have had this EDC module issue?

2011.75 E90 Comp DCT / CA ~14000miles

My Story:
July 2015: car was getting occasional increased battery discharge messages. Auto start/stop didnt work. Took car under warranty to BMW. They could not replicate the error, but said I was engaging start/stop incorrectly.
Told me to try again.

November 2015. Now outside of warranty, I take the car back because they never reset my Oil notification mileage on the oil change I had in August (ugh). Tell them auto stop/start still doesn't work. They take the car for the day and conclude its the battery but BMW will cover it since I reported when I was under official warranty. Good news no error messages and Auto start/stop works. (although I will never use it, I want it to work).

July 2016: Start getting increased discharge messages in late June, this time quite frequently.
being outside of warranty, I wasn't sure how to approach. Go out of town for 3 days.. come back and they battery is flat.

I figure faulty battery. Take to BMW. They investigate and say EDC Module is causing the problem...but ask for over $1000 to replace. I ask the SA to plead with BMW to take care of it as the car have just a tick over 16k Miles and this was possibly what was causing the issue with the previous battery they replaced in November. They say BMW denied.

thoughts? I have extended warranty which will cover, otherwise I would DIY for $100... its a principle of the issue that bothers me.

Just seems like an awfully common issue for BMW not to cover it under these circumstances.

Has anyone dissected the units to see why they fail?

appreciate feedback.

Last edited by houston; 07-13-2016 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Mine had the EDC module replaced last September with eight months of warranty to run. Five trips to the service center began thanks to an "increased battery discharge" message. However, starting the car and driving it any distance then turning it off the restarting it did not trigger the aforementioned message. The following day or more thereafter, the message would reappear every time.

BMW service center personnel told me to bring it in. Result: Replaced battery because they saw no messages, but the next day the message was back. Back for another look; wasted trip as the diagnosis was "We found no problems," even as I showed them pictures of the messages.

Less than a week later, more messages and it is back to the service center.

This time, the car was left connected overnight to create a log of what went on during the night. The following morning I received a phone call..."We found an error code. The EDC module wasn't staying 'asleep' as it should which was draining the battery during the overnight hours."

After replacing the EDC module, no more problem. While the ordeal was a PITA, a consolation prize of a new battery, a zero-miles EDC module and, best of all, getting to drive a number of the newer and better turdbro loaner models made the affair tolerable.

As to your question, I don't know if EDC module replacement is widespread, but the number of those declaring rod bearing issue with their car seems to have been trending down for a long time...or did I miss something?
      07-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
jra85
M3NTAL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

I have a 2011.75 E92 ZCP that had the parasitic EDC module draw issue, and the module was replaced last year under warranty (with only 3 months remaining on it) at 22k miles.

Had a similar experience to yours for the dealership to diagnose it as the EDC module: I started getting Increased Battery Discharge messages with only 3 years on the battery, which seemed a little premature for a failing battery, but they swapped the battery out. Roughly a year later, and after I started keeping the car on a battery tender when not driving it, I started getting the messages again except this time it got to the point where even the tender could not keep the battery charged enough, and eventually it was completely dead. Had the car flatbedded to the dealer, they replaced the IBS connector suspecting it had a short in it, and when I started the car at the dealership to take it home I immediately got the Increased Battery Discharge message again while sitting in the service bay So they kept the car and finally determined it was the EDC module at fault. They replaced it, and haven't seen that message since.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 05:47 AM   #4
Lunker325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M / 991.2 C4S

My EDC module went bad in my 2011 E90, car only had 35,000 mile on it at the time.
      07-19-2016, 07:30 AM   #5
KPM3er
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 e92 Space Gray ZCP

About a month ago my 2013 E92 kept displaying the EDC malfunction warning. I cleared it twice with Carly but each time it would come back the next day.
Brought it to the dealer and they told me their diagnostic computer wasn't able to communicate with the EDC modules so they replaced them and no error messages since. Still under warranty so
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #6
MyUnicorn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 SSII

Bought my 2011 E90 in August of last year, and after having it a week, saw the increased battery discharge message. Took it to the dealer , and they were quickly able to find the issue. They replaced the EDC module and the battery under warranty. Had 40k on the odometer.

However, they screwed up the aftermarket rear view camera that the previous owner had installed, and I haven't had it working since. Even had Alex at Alpine try to recode it. Oh well...
      07-21-2016, 05:43 PM   #7
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Nice. My '08 has been doing this for the past month or so. Replaced a 3 yrs old battery with a brand new one 2 weeks ago. I fully charged the battery w/the float charger, put it in the car, didn't drive it for 2 days, and the battery was completely dead. Like one of the previous posters, even when on the float charger, it will *not* fully charge. 63k miles and no warranty. I wonder how this'll go down when I take it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 05:59 PM   #8
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
EDC is the most common module to prevent the car from going to sleep on the M3, which causes battery drainage issues. You'll know if you are potentially affected by this by locking the car and coming back about half hour later to see the start/stop button still illuminated.

That said, I never had a problem with EDC from 2008-2014ish when I ditched the system and went with coilovers.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #9
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
You'll know if you are potentially affected by this by locking the car and coming back about half hour later to see the start/stop button still illuminated.
Checked, and yup, that's what's going on. My iDrive controller was also lit.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #10
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname
Quote:
You'll know if you are potentially affected by this by locking the car and coming back about half hour later to see the start/stop button still illuminated.
Checked, and yup, that's what's going on. My iDrive controller was also lit.
I have replacements in stock

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #11
Sunny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

My EDC module randomly died a few weeks ago. On startup I started getting an EDC error, and then it quickly went away. Shocks were also making funny noises. Then one day error came up, and never went away. Took it to the guys at Technica in ATL, and they took care of it. Module just died... have the old one on a shelf in my office for a decoration
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #12
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

The dealer wanted $130/hr for diag time (they wanted to keep it overnight for a draw down test), plus labor for the part install ($500+ for a new module). Picked up a used one on eBay from a wrecked 2012 w/12k miles for $100 shipped. I'll report back after I drop it in.

Update: replaced the unit, and it's finally asleep. Battery is on the tender, we'll see if it charges 100% now.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 08-06-2016 at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 01:22 AM   #13
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
EDC is the most common module to prevent the car from going to sleep on the M3.....
Mike, looking @ that other EDC thread in which you've participated, you indicate that there is some coding involved w/the unit is swapped. How important is this?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #14
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname
Quote:
EDC is the most common module to prevent the car from going to sleep on the M3.....
Mike, looking @ that other EDC thread in which you've participated, you indicate that there is some coding involved w/the unit is swapped. How important is this?
From my experience not 100% essential if you plug in and don't have EDC fault, and everything seems to be ok. That said, it's always the right thing to do to have it programmed to the car, (VIN and coding data) and have the adaptations reset.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #15
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
From my experience not 100% essential if you plug in and don't have EDC fault, and everything seems to be ok. That said, it's always the right thing to do to have it programmed to the car, (VIN and coding data) and have the adaptations reset.
Mike, reset adaptation in theory means the car, assuming some fair miles on it, will soften up with the new EDC module, no?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #16
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Started up w/no errors, no issues, nada. The battery charger was able to charge to a full 100% for the first time in months. I'll bring it up when I get my s/c'er tune
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 07:49 AM   #17
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Can one of you share the link to the EDC DIY?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #18
rantarM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I had my EDC module replaced under warranty at 34K miles over a year ago. Here's what the tech wrote in case it is of any use to anyone:

37-15-6-788 EDC-K Control Unit: 37999915
33839 EDC Module Connected Battery Charger. Performed Short Test.
FC 005FFF EDC: CAN Terminal Status: Time Out. FC 00FF7, 005FF6, 005FF5,
005FF8, 005FF0, and 005FFD EDC. Performed All Test Plans. Found EDC-K
Not Communicating With Corresponding Module. Continued Test Plan. Test
States, Replace Defective Control Unit. Diagcode:
D8700-00000000-90-010. Replaced EDC-K Module. Programed and Coded
Complete Vehicle. Road Tested Vehicle. Confirmed Repair.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #19
12mpgm3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Just diagnosed with EDC failure and getting mine replaced and coded. 2013 with 51K joyous miles. Glad I got the 7yr / 100K Gold BMW warranty or this would have been out of pocket.

Got DBC failure and lots of warnings to drive safely followed by a few days of "increased battery discharge" when I left the car alone for most of a day (noted that the On / Off button backlighting was not going out so assume ECU was not shutting down). Finally, got a fuel pump failure (but no perceived difference in how the car was running) so brought it to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #20
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12mpgm3 View Post
Just diagnosed with EDC failure and getting mine replaced and coded. 2013 with 51K joyous miles. Glad I got the 7yr / 100K Gold BMW warranty or this would have been out of pocket.

Got DBC failure and lots of warnings to drive safely followed by a few days of "increased battery discharge" when I left the car alone for most of a day (noted that the On / Off button backlighting was not going out so assume ECU was not shutting down). Finally, got a fuel pump failure (but no perceived difference in how the car was running) so brought it to the dealer.
Hi, so for my understanding, the EDC module will be replaced based on the "increased battery.." error message or something else? Just wonder as have EDC problems without fault codes.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #21
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
I may be in the midst of an EDC issue. My battery, although old (likely the original), suddenly died last week. I'm sorting through things at the moment, but I seem to have a random EDC code using Carly and only when the car is off. It disappears when the car is running and the car hasn't alerted me to any unusual battery charging/discharging or EDC. I will be keeping a close eye on it over the next few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #22
12mpgm3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hi, so for my understanding, the EDC module will be replaced based on the "increased battery.." error message or something else? Just wonder as have EDC problems without fault codes.

Thanks
I have not gotten the car back yet (should later today) so I don't actually know how they diagnosed and made the determination that it was EDC. I assume that they did some sort of fault testing on the module to verify. It probably helped that I suggested to my FA (who is a good guy and puts up with my fetishes related to how my car is serviced) that I saw a number of posts on this forum that had the same symptoms and ended with an EDC module replacement. If there is any info on how they diagnosed specifically in my paperwork, I will post.

It seems that the common elements are that the car will not "go to sleep" when it should, resulting in a long term draw of current that will give you an increased battery discharge message and potentially an error related to the stability / tc system (I believe mine was "DBC malfunction").

The main thread that tipped me off was from above:

"Mine had the EDC module replaced last September with eight months of warranty to run. Five trips to the service center began thanks to an "increased battery discharge" message. However, starting the car and driving it any distance then turning it off the restarting it did not trigger the aforementioned message. The following day or more thereafter, the message would reappear every time.

BMW service center personnel told me to bring it in. Result: Replaced battery because they saw no messages, but the next day the message was back. Back for another look; wasted trip as the diagnosis was "We found no problems," even as I showed them pictures of the messages.

Less than a week later, more messages and it is back to the service center.

This time, the car was left connected overnight to create a log of what went on during the night. The following morning I received a phone call..."We found an error code. The EDC module wasn't staying 'asleep' as it should which was draining the battery during the overnight hours.""
Appreciate 0