BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Steve Thomas BMW

03-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
m3tor
Private First Class

Drives: e92 M3

Took delivery yesterday - Toronto

Took delivery yesterday - all I can say is wow - but I didn't drive it more than a couple of kilometres to an underground parking garage as there's still ice/snow on the roads....

Here are a few crappy pictures - sorry, light was terrible. Got aluminum pedal covers installed on delivery. They have ordered M3 embroidered floor mats (due in a week) and are working on trunk mat.

More pictures and review to follow after I can actually drive the beast a bit....

Initial impressions:

-Silverstone looks totally different in sunlight (light, brilliant silver) than it does inside/in the showroom (blue silver)
-carbon roof looks awesome in sunlight
-idle (at least when its cold) is pretty rough, similar to E46 M3 before its warmed up. That's a good thing IMO
-I have read other posts about engine noise being muted in the cabin... not true for me anyway - different, not as edgy as the E46, but plenty noisy IMO. Silky smooth is the first term that came to mind - definitely sounds like a V-8 and wow is the sound addictive, even at low revs - put a huge smile on my face even poking around town. I'm sure the sound will change completely at higher revs which I haven't got anywhere close to yet - can't wait...
-the car feels like it pulls much easier at low revs than my E46 M3 - it feels like it winds up as fast as the E46 but you're actually going faster by the time you switch up out of for example first gear at say 4,500rpms (criminal, I know, but keep in mind the car has 10km on it and its winter here!)
-amazing what 7 years of technology/development can do... the technology on this car is amazing. EDC is most impressive - difference between Comfort and Sport on the crappy piece of road I drove between the dealer and parking lot downtown yesterday was significant. A must have option IMO if you're ordering 19s and you plan to use this car as a daily driver in and around a city with roads as poor as Toronto. If you're into the technology, the iDrive, Bluetooth phone integration, iPod adapter all work really well and are very impressive. But my bar was set pretty low I guess as I'm comparing the technology to my old 02 E46. I wasn't an iDrive believer (still not fully converted but I wanted MDrive), but I spent maybe 45 minutes screwing around and its already pretty intuitive.

More in a week or two.....
Attached Images

m3tor is offline   Canada
      03-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
dab33d
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 E92 AW/FR M3

Very NICE ! Congrats on taking delivery .. Hope to see more pics soon !
      03-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
Yonkers
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 BMW M5

Congrats. That must be painful to have the car but not really drive it. Better than not having it at all I suppose
      03-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #4
asaulo1
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe, alp white

those pedals are nice... which ones are those? Congrats... that's a beaut...
      03-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
schnell325
Bored at work....

Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi

Awesome!!
'08 M3: AA G2L3, Catless X-Pipe & Sig Series Rear. AP rods. TC Kline EDC Coil Overs. MRF Alum Sub Frame Bushings. TMS Delrin Diff'l Bushings. BFI Motor Mounts. Recaro PP. BMW Perf Steering Wheel. P3 Gauge. PS Overflow Kit. APEX ARC-8 18"x9.5"/10.5". Conti Slicks 275/35F 305/30R. Stoptech Pads/SS Lines. Cantrell Brake Ducts.
http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...3-sleeper.html
schnell325 is offline   Canada
      03-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
southlight
Moderator / European Editor

Drives: BMW

Congrats!

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
      03-11-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
CSL-Fanatik
First Lieutenant

Drives: e92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3tor View Post
Took delivery yesterday - all I can say is wow - but I didn't drive it more than a couple of kilometres to an underground parking garage as there's still ice/snow on the roads....

Here are a few crappy pictures - sorry, light was terrible. Got aluminum pedal covers installed on delivery. They have ordered M3 embroidered floor mats (due in a week) and are working on trunk mat.

More pictures and review to follow after I can actually drive the beast a bit....

Initial impressions:

-Silverstone looks totally different in sunlight (light, brilliant silver) than it does inside/in the showroom (blue silver)
-carbon roof looks awesome in sunlight
-idle (at least when its cold) is pretty rough, similar to E46 M3 before its warmed up. That's a good thing IMO
-I have read other posts about engine noise being muted in the cabin... not true for me anyway - different, not as edgy as the E46, but plenty noisy IMO. Silky smooth is the first term that came to mind - definitely sounds like a V-8 and wow is the sound addictive, even at low revs - put a huge smile on my face even poking around town. I'm sure the sound will change completely at higher revs which I haven't got anywhere close to yet - can't wait...
-the car feels like it pulls much easier at low revs than my E46 M3 - it feels like it winds up as fast as the E46 but you're actually going faster by the time you switch up out of for example first gear at say 4,500rpms (criminal, I know, but keep in mind the car has 10km on it and its winter here!)
-amazing what 7 years of technology/development can do... the technology on this car is amazing. EDC is most impressive - difference between Comfort and Sport on the crappy piece of road I drove between the dealer and parking lot downtown yesterday was significant. A must have option IMO if you're ordering 19s and you plan to use this car as a daily driver in and around a city with roads as poor as Toronto. If you're into the technology, the iDrive, Bluetooth phone integration, iPod adapter all work really well and are very impressive. But my bar was set pretty low I guess as I'm comparing the technology to my old 02 E46. I wasn't an iDrive believer (still not fully converted but I wanted MDrive), but I spent maybe 45 minutes screwing around and its already pretty intuitive.

More in a week or two.....

Thank you for sharing first impressions and the pictures. It looks like you have the extended black leather with Carbon Leather trim, which is exactly the interior I have on order right now. Do you mind sharing a couple of thoughts on it, and maybe posting more pics if you have the chance?

Thank you, and Congratulations!

Best,
CSL
      03-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
bobr2001
First Lieutenant

Drives: F11

Nice! I see the Canadiens get the crappy seat bottoms too, bummer!
bobr2001 is offline   Germany
      03-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
SMSgt B
Lieutenant

Drives: m

congrats....it looks outstanding
SMSgt B is offline   United_States
      03-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
mhutchins14
First Lieutenant

Drives: Jet Black w/Beige 2008 e92 M3

Nice review....Congrats
mhutchins14 is offline   United_States
      03-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
!Xoible
Banned

Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
good review! gorgeous car for sure man... nice
!Xoible is offline   United_States
      03-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #12
misterng
Colonel

Drives: 2006 E90

Garage List
Congrats.

I haven't test drive this new M3 yet, but my CA told me that EDC is for track use only, if you're driving on the freeway or around town, you couldn't tell any different at all.

misterng is offline   United_States
      03-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #13
turb934
First Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

Congratulations. Mine is at the dealer. PDI has been done it and it has been filled with gas. I just need to pick a day, they will detail it and then its mine. The blue is dark due to the overcast weather. Interior color is accurate.
Attached Images

turb934 is offline   Canada
      03-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #14
monsta
Brigadier General

congrats on delivery, looks great...

is that your normal parking spot? I see that there is a gap between spots on the side of the pics, but if the other side isn't like that you might be prone to door dings? I'm just wondering on how to save my car from door dings since I'll looking into moving to an apartment building with underground parking soon, hopefully I get a spot b/w two pillars...

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
monsta is offline   United_States
      03-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #15
m3tor
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaulo1 View Post
those pedals are nice... which ones are those? Congrats... that's a beaut...
I'll try to get a part number for you
      03-11-2008, 05:17 PM   #16
m3tor
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL-Fanatik View Post
Thank you for sharing first impressions and the pictures. It looks like you have the extended black leather with Carbon Leather trim, which is exactly the interior I have on order right now. Do you mind sharing a couple of thoughts on it, and maybe posting more pics if you have the chance?

Thank you, and Congratulations!

Best,
CSL
Carbon leather trim, yes; extended leather, no. I tried to change my order to extended leather at the last minute but car had already gone into production. I thought interior would look cheap with black plastic but it actually looks fine. Carbon leather trim looks awesome - not like plastic and its a dull finish, not shiny like it appears in some pictures.
      03-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #17
m3tor
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterng View Post
Congrats.

I haven't test drive this new M3 yet, but my CA told me that EDC is for track use only, if you're driving on the freeway or around town, you couldn't tell any different at all.
Your dealer must only have non-EDC cars for sale seriously: the difference on the highway and around town between Comfort and Sport is significant, especially on 19s. On the other hand, the ride even in Sport is better than my E46 M3.
      03-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #18
m3tor
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb934 View Post
Congratulations. Mine is at the dealer. PDI has been done it and it has been filled with gas. I just need to pick a day, they will detail it and then its mine. The blue is dark due to the overcast weather. Interior color is accurate.
Beautiful car turb934 - I love that colour combination! I went for a blast down the 401 to Oshawa and back today and the roads were actually fine - better than I expected - maybe not the best idea as it was close to zero degrees C but I couldn't resist - I also bought the tire and rim warranty which maybe I'll need with all the crap on the roads this time of year At $895 for coverage for 3 years and based on how many punctures I had on my E46 its actually a pretty good deal IMO
      03-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #19
monsta
Brigadier General

Quote:
I also bought the tire and rim warranty which maybe I'll need with all the crap on the roads this time of year At $895 for coverage for 3 years and based on how many punctures I had on my E46 its actually a pretty good deal IMO
does anyone know if this offered in the US also? is it a dealer warranty?

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
monsta is offline   United_States
      03-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #20
turb934
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Beautiful car turb934 - I love that colour combination! I went for a blast down the 401 to Oshawa and back today and the roads were actually fine - better than I expected - maybe not the best idea as it was close to zero degrees C but I couldn't resist - I also bought the tire and rim warranty which maybe I'll need with all the crap on the roads this time of year At $895 for coverage for 3 years and based on how many punctures I had on my E46 its actually a pretty good deal IMO
I have not decided if I will go with the tire & rim warranty. Sounds like you think it is worthwhile. Mine was suppose to have extended leather but someone screwed up. Not too disappointed since it is a $3000 option. Leather for US cars is $950 & $1200 in Canada but extended leather in the US is $1050 versus $3000 in Canada. I think they are trying to recoup part of the base price drop from anyone who goes for the extended leather.
turb934 is offline   Canada
      03-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #21
m3tor
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
congrats on delivery, looks great...

is that your normal parking spot? I see that there is a gap between spots on the side of the pics, but if the other side isn't like that you might be prone to door dings? I'm just wondering on how to save my car from door dings since I'll looking into moving to an apartment building with underground parking soon, hopefully I get a spot b/w two pillars...
I park it underground at the office - no reserved parking spot, only the CEO gets that - I gave up trying to avoid car door dings over the years...fact of life unfortunately...
      03-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #22
m3tor
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb934 View Post
I have not decided if I will go with the tire & rim warranty. Sounds like you think it is worthwhile. Mine was suppose to have extended leather but someone screwed up. Not too disappointed since it is a $3000 option. Leather for US cars is $950 & $1200 in Canada but extended leather in the US is $1050 versus $3000 in Canada. I think they are trying to recoup part of the base price drop from anyone who goes for the extended leather.
I thought the same thing - the options are marked up in here in Canada for sure....

On the tire & rim warranty, maybe I'm getting hosed (why would they offer it if was a bad deal for them....), but I think they have underpriced it for M cars in larger cities with crap roads etc: the Pilot Sports are $400+ per tire plus installation plus tax, so two punctures over three years and you've basically paid for the warranty. That's without worrying about damage to the rim - the warranty covers an outright crack (probably rare?), or even a slight bend/warp (likely less rare?), and although it doesn't officially cover curb rash (hopefully I won't need it but everyone has a bad day occasionally!), I talked to a couple of guys and they said the dealer is very lenient in their interpretation of what's curb rash and what's not, so most of the time curb rash gets fixed for free too. It also covers any tires/rims on the car, including a winter set-up. In three years on my last M3 I had two summer punctures in the sidewall or near it, and one winter puncture in the same place - in all cases I needed a new tire.