BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #23
AKG M3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 F10 M5

Is it ok to at least let it run 1 min before setting off? Or is that too much also?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #24
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleDaddi View Post
My car gets driven almost as a daily driver but I don't want to rack on "useless" 2 mile drives to and from work.

I am getting a second car to have for work purposes and the m for spirited drives and gettin the ladies aroused
Yeah - ladies really won't know it's an M. The e9x gen was more of a dude magnet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 05:50 AM   #25
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I think you forgot something !
Belgium is.....The land of cycling,actualy we have the best Pro. cyclist's of the world ,and you can take a bike for any distance..so why not ?
I solve the warm-up issue with the two most popular responses I've seen on this board:
1. Bicycle is my daily driver
2. Take the long way (this often involves a coffee run so win-win)

BOOM! Take that, owner's manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #26
Sandye90m3
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
An idling engine takes much longer to warm up. Letting it idle for ten minutes means it is running cold for ten minutes. It's much better to start the car and drive off right away. Just keep it below 3k until it warms up.
At maximum, let it complete it's cold start and wait till the revs drop. (30sec)
      01-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #27
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKixxon View Post
I solve the warm-up issue with the two most popular responses I've seen on this board:
1. Bicycle is my daily driver
2. Take the long way (this often involves a coffee run so win-win)

BOOM! Take that, owner's manual.
For less than a mile(OP distance) i don't start my car ....Take that ,BOOM !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #28
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
OP, i have a short commute as well. But i like to take the car on spirited drives every so often (mostly on the weekends). You'll be fine as long as its not a garage queen that sees 1500 miles in 7 years.

I usually allow the "cold start cycle" complete its run before i drive off. 30 seconds doesn't hurt & idling's only drawbacks are MPG & emissions, really.
As with breaking in an engine (hard vs. soft), there are two schools of thought as far as warming up goes so i'm not in the business of convincing others otherwise.
Still, realize BMW tells you to drive off immediately due to legal reasons regarding emissions as driving is the fastest way to warm up the catalysts and idling a car in some jurisdictions is illegal. Much like their recommended oil change interval of 15,000 miles to save on costs of "free" maintenance. Its all politics, you can take it or leave it.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #29
wantam3
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
OP, i have a short commute as well. But i like to take the car on spirited drives every so often (mostly on the weekends). You'll be fine as long as its not a garage queen that sees 1500 miles in 7 years.

I usually allow the "cold start cycle" complete its run before i drive off. 30 seconds doesn't hurt & idling's only drawbacks are MPG & emissions, really.
As with breaking in an engine (hard vs. soft), there are two schools of thought as far as warming up goes so i'm not in the business of convincing others otherwise.
Still, realize BMW tells you to drive off immediately due to legal reasons regarding emissions as driving is the fastest way to warm up the catalysts and idling a car in some jurisdictions is illegal. Much like their recommended oil change interval of 15,000 miles to save on costs of "free" maintenance. Its all politics, you can take it or leave it.

+1
Appreciate 0