BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #67
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trah23 View Post
hey smsgt, on step 3, select s mode from drive logic program, how do u do that since LC is suppose to come standard with no Mdrive, etc ?
There's a button just below the gearshift lever where you select the tranmission mode.

In the pic below, you see the transmission mode select button just to the right of the DSC off button.
Attached Images

03-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #68
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Congrats on your new DCT car, and for the great review. Must feel good to be the first forum to take delivery of a DCT M3. Great color combination choice too!
      03-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #69
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
this is a puzzelment to me when I first drove a SMG car. I know these are different. But the fact I'm used to driving a MT and you can't be 0 mph and in 1st gear or you'd stall. But you have to be in 1st gear to start. So IDK how it works but you are dead stopped it would seem like you are in Neutral but you are in 1st.

When I was driving a SMG for the first time, I was trying to figure out how do I stop without stalling but it does. You don't want to be shifting the car into 1st gear everytime you stop so it starts out in 1st.

I believe there was a mode for the DCT that starts out in 2nd gear.
It sounds like SMG. You leave it in gear, when coming to a stop the transmission automatically downshifts to first and right before stopping disengages the clutch. When you drive off, the clutch reengages. You could also shift into second before moving off. It sounds like the DCT is doing the same thing.
      03-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #70
trah23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: infinity Q45, 08 corvette z06

ah i see, that button best come standard

no seriously if it doesnt im gonna go f'in beserk
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #71
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

Quote:

LOL

I know they're charging for a lot of extras but that's what you select the tranny modes with so it comes with the tranny.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #72
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

Yes it's standard with the DCT. It's how you select the 11 modes of the transmission.
      03-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #73
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

The mode select button looks kind of small. I hope this is just an illusion of the picture. I think I like the SMG mode button better -- it was rectangular and large enough.

Is it just me, or is the SMG and other buttons on the center console, just kind of funky. I mean, wouldn't it be smarter to put them, say, where the seat heater buttons are? They wouldn't be as easy to reach but how often do you need to change any of these on the fly while driving, as opposed to changing when you really do have a second or two?
      03-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #74
Zed
Replicant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 DCT

Question When will DCT be available for Sedan?

New member, loving the boards here. Very helpful (and so entertaining lately as well). Ordering my M3 any day now. Sedan + all the trimmings. However, the DCT sounds like something I want, but I can't find information about when/if it will be available in the M3 Sedan? Dealer tells me I have until July as it is for the 6MT, if DCT will take even longer... but then, I've been waiting to get my M3 for 9 years as it is, I guess a few more months wouldn't kill me.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #75
trah23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: infinity Q45, 08 corvette z06

man i cant wait till my own M3 comes in, i hope a lexus ISF pulls up next to me cause im gonna put my bad mofo on LC and straight up wreck that pos
ISF
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #76
NavM
M-Sport
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

What is the default RPM when using launch control? I know you are in the break-in period, but is it mentioned in the owner's manual?

It is interesting that you can dec/increase RPM by 500 for LC. You couldn't do that with US spec SMG.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #77
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Talking Congrats on the car and thanks for the pics

Dude you really need to take this thing out there and puts some miles on the car. You are on barrowed time before you go back to the states and not be able to take the car to the limit like you can now in Germany. Plus you need the miles so you don't have to pay the sales tax on your car when you get back in the states.

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 10:31 PM   #78
Pasta Blitz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3 AW/BL

Congrats.! Thanks for the write up, my question:Is there any change on the gas guzzler tax ($1300)?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 11:08 PM   #79
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
He doesn't pay GGT until he returns to the US. So he doesn't know what the GGT rate is.
      03-31-2008, 01:23 AM   #80
S65B40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3/AW F87 M2

Garage List
Great review on the M-DCT! I can't wait to test drive one with the same tranny.
      03-31-2008, 08:28 AM   #81
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
This is no different than an SMG car. When you come to a stop the computer pushes in the clutch (hydraulically), just as you would do when driving an 6MT car. Coming to a stoplight or stop sign, you push in the clutch so the car won't stall.

If you prefer, you can select neutral on the gearshift lever by moving it to the left (see avatar) then when you are ready to go you move it back to the right and the transmission selects first gear.
Thanks skierman (and thanks for your response too, rai). My experience with SMG is very limited, and its been a long time to boot. I remember that my inclination while driving an SMG eqipped car was to mimic the way I drove a manual. And when I drive, I always put the car in neutral at a stop light or any time I will be sitting stationary for more than just a moment. I didn't recall, though, if the car would go into neutral at a stop automatically or just hold the clutch out and require you to go to neutral on your own if you wanted. Sounds like the latter was true of SMG, and will continue to be true of M-DCT.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 11:22 AM   #82
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Nice review and great to hear the first review on the M-DKT!! So far so good!!!!! I would have gone M-DKT if it were available back in November when I bought mine, just thought the wait was way too much!!!! Anyway, way to go, very nice color combo etc..!!! Enjoy!!!
      03-31-2008, 11:26 AM   #83
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Someone on a threat had said that the M-DKT would have a tachometer integrated into the steering wheel. Do you know whether or not this is an option?
      03-31-2008, 11:39 AM   #84
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Sounds like I won't be sorry I ordered MDCT! Received the below this morning.

Great news! Your BMW is now in transit to the US. I've attached the Bill of Lading here but you won't require it for anything. The estimated time of arrival to port is April 10.

03-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #85
SMSgt B
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '23 M4 G83; '23 M850i

Garage List
2022 BMW M4  [0.00]
I read all the questions and tested them today so I can get your answers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorun View Post
Sms tell us more about the auto modes are they a real torque converter alternative. How does the gearbox react when braking and then accelerating fairly strongly again before the car has come to a complete stop? This tends to catch a few semi-autos unprepared.
Just for you, I drove all the way to work in Auto mode. Let me tell you it is unbelievable. Couple of examples, I was in 7th gear doing about 80mph coming up to a 80 degree right turn. I brake late, got about 1/3 way through the corner, punched the accelerator and M-DCT already had me in 3rd gear to accelerate. It was extremely smooth and very impressive. Another time I was doing about 50pmh, sort of slammed on the brakes, gave it gas and it already put me in the perfect gear for this situation ... complete smooth transaction. Now while driving under normal conditions, you can get the transmission to shift to the upper gear by slightly letting off the gas and then accelerate. Bottom line is I am very impressed with the auto mode. It is nice just to concentrate on steering, braking, and acceleration and still have a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wads View Post
Congratulations!!! I have to confirm my E93 M3 order tomorrow (Monday) and the one thing I've always worried about is a delay with the M-DCT..... could you say a few more words about how long the delay is when shifting in the more agressive manual modes..... I know you can't use full throttle yet so that may make a difference but can you have a stab at describing the lenght of delay in S5 at half throttle from pulling the paddle to when the shift takes place..... eg. paddle/bang no noticable delay, paddle///bang a tiny delay, paddle/////bang maybe 1/2 second delay, paddle////////bang very noticable delay

I've always been a manual guy so the M-DCT is a bit of a risk for me so any help on this would be massively appreciated

The UK dealer I'm using only has 2 M3 vert build slots and I'm hoping to tie up the 2nd one tomorrow.
The best way I tell you about the delay is to make racing sounds with your voice. The time it takes you to change pitch your voice is about the time it takes for M-DCT to shift between gears. You just can't put a time delay on it because it happens so fast and seamless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
I do have one question, Senior B you say you can select neutral while the car is rolling, however can you put it back into gear from neutral while the car is also still rolling?
Great question but I got to the bottom of it today. First, like I stated before you can shift to neutral from any gear. You can also shift back into gear but M-DCT will put you in a higher gear. Example, I was doing about 50mph in 4th gear, shifted to neutral and let the rpms drop to idle, shifted back into gear and I was in 7th gear. I would image this prevents you from overreving the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavM3 View Post
What is the default RPM when using launch control? I know you are in the break-in period, but is it mentioned in the owner's manual?

It is interesting that you can dec/increase RPM by 500 for LC. You couldn't do that with US spec SMG.
Sorry, no mention in the book. But if you wait 900 more miles I will let you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADY1 View Post
Dude you really need to take this thing out there and puts some miles on the car. You are on barrowed time before you go back to the states and not be able to take the car to the limit like you can now in Germany. Plus you need the miles so you don't have to pay the sales tax on your car when you get back in the states.
I have it all planned out to get over the 1200 hump:

1. Tomorrow Calw - Landstuhl hospital
2. 5 Apr Calw - landstuhl hospital
3. 7 Apr Calw - Reggensburg (plant tour)
4. 8 Apr Calw - Wurzburg - buddy picking up a 335 vert

Total kilometers is 1750 = 1087 miles+current mileage+=1200 service=LC/S6

Also I answered my own question about using Low Speed Assistant in 2nd gear. The answer is yes you can do it, but must only be in D1 settings. When you are in D1, M-DCT automatically starts you off in 2nd gear from a start. If you use any settings greater than D1, i.e D2, D3 ect, you start off in 1st gear. You can use Low Speed Assistant from a start in either 1st or 2nd gear.

Word to the wise, if you want to stay below 5500rpms, don't use auto mode and get on it ... trust me, I know now....
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 12:24 PM   #86
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

Stunning combination mate. It's exactly how i plan to build mine in the near future. Congrats and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 12:27 PM   #87
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

thanks a million for all your replies.

What mode do you prefer for driving with on the highway?

I drove a GTi with DSG tranny and liked how it could be in 6th (top gear) the engine was just 2000 rpms (or whatever) then if I floored the gas it would shift to 3rd (or so) and the engine would be close to it's power peak.

it would seem (IDK) that being in auto mode would be good on the highway since it can shift down several gears at a time (even more since it's a 7-speed), I believe in Manual mode you can only shift down one at a time 7-6-5-4-3 (etc.) is that correct or can you skip down more than one gear with the manual mode?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 12:31 PM   #88
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

since I alway see the glass as half empty, could you let me know the warts (if any) you can find in the DCT? I mean is there a time you wish you had the 6MT instead?

Thanks.

PS What's you gas mileage so far?
Appreciate 0