BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

01-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
jacory12
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black

2011 M3 for 2 months and in a hit and run last night:(:(

Usually peruse and read a lot more than I post on here,

Anyways had to vent.... last night me and my wife were leaving dinner, around 10, and basically both lanes were left turn and the car to my left (in the left most lane) decided he wanted to go straight and hit the rear end of my two month old 2011 M3 E92, luckily neither one of us were seriously hurt. As we pulled over, I immediately got out of the car to see if everyone was ok, which we all were. As we proceeded to call the cops, the man insisted that we not get them involved and volunteered to pay 1000 in cash, which my rim alone was nearly 2 grand. So my wife and i decided to call the cops anyway, and when he firmly told us not to, my wife asked why he didnt want the cops involved and he told us straight up that he had been drinking.. So of course we called the cops and thats when he jumped in his car and drove off!!! Luckily, my genius wife had already taken pictures and was able to get his license plate which matched the description of his car. Anyways.. took my car to the body shop and found out that there is frame damage very upset.. the car was only 2 months old... im getting a new one!
      01-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
ctown113
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Garage List
2009 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
awww that sucks!!! i'd sue his azz to the max!!!! thats emotional distress for suRe!!! ugh..sorry dude...i hate to ask, but can we see some pics?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlton113 View Post
awww that sucks!!! i'd sue his azz to the max!!!! thats emotional distress for suRe!!! ugh..sorry dude...i hate to ask, but can we see some pics?
This.

So sorry to hear about this but the best thing is that you and your wife are not hurt. Good luck.

Cheers.
      01-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Timothy J
Captain
Rep
Drives: Too much

Pretty ridiculous he straight up admitted to you he had been drinking. You said you got his license plate and description of the car, did the police take care of business? Leaving the scene of an accident is a big deal! Let us know. Also, pics!!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
NYCMCBM3
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 MCB E92 M3

dam that sucks bro, post pics
      01-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Gkap
BMF Movement
Canada
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ANDME View Post
Pretty ridiculous he straight up admitted to you he had been drinking. You said you got his license plate and description of the car, did the police take care of business? Leaving the scene of an accident is a big deal! Let us know. Also, pics!!
I agree even if the police came they wouldnt just assume he was drunk
unless you could clearly tell he was. Hes even dumber for driving away
the charges will be much worse now.

Good to hear you and your wife are ok, it sucks but its not the end of
the world, life goes on .
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
jacory12
Rep

Thanks guys, the police were good, they were able to pull up his info since we were able to get his tag and basically said he will be charged with a hit and run, my wife took pics with her camera (always has one in her purse) and is off doing errands, will try to post some later when she gets back. Oh well, that's life, very thankful no one was seriously injured and can live without the M for a while
      01-08-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

Did your insurance company total it, or you getting rid of it regardless?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
mgx
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 

pics

edit: also, you can't sue unless there were medical injuries involved and acted on at the time of the accident, jackasses
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #10
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgx View Post
pics

edit: also, you can't sue unless there were medical injuries involved and acted on at the time of the accident, jackasses
4 years ago the guy in front of me and I STARTED moving slowly when the light turned green but for unknown reason he decided to stop again so I hit him at may be 5MPH. My bumper didn't even need repair. He and his mom in the passenger seat got $5000 medical whatever. My insurance company (Gieco at the time) paid and never tried to fight it (cheaper) and of course my premium increased for 3 years. A hit strong enough to cause a frame damage and "total" a car would definitely cause "medical" injuries!! Add the drunk driving, the court will love it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
Mighty M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Jerez/FR Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIS View Post
Did your insurance company total it, or you getting rid of it regardless?
I doubt the insurance company will total it. You can do a lot of repairs before you hit $65 or $70 thousand. If it was the front and crushed the engine compartment, yeah I would say totalled. Rear end? I doubt it.

Its not as if any time your car gets in an accident you pick up the phone and say, "Listen to my sob story! Hey its 2 months old! I want a new one!"

I think the way you would get out of the car is say the repair bill is $30,000. You take the $30,000 check, don't fix the car but sell it for parts/salavge whatever. And then you go and buy a new one. But I doubt it will even get up to that dollar amount. You can also try to get money out of the "dimished value" approach.

Let us know what happens.
      01-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

It's so unfortunate when this happens and you then lose faith in your automobile. I've always felt like cars are never the same after something like this. But that may just be vanity/insecurity.
      01-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #13
Mighty M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Jerez/FR Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
It's so unfortunate when this happens and you then lose faith in your automobile. I've always felt like cars are never the same after something like this. But that may just be vanity/insecurity.
Front end for sure. I accidentally clipped a curb really hard totally dumb in a parking lot passenger side front wheel in my previous e46 m3. $2500 damage, insurance covered it, drove the same until you hit about 90 or 100 mph and then you would feel a vibration in the steering wheel that wasn't there before.
      01-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #14
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Mighty M;8646251]I doubt the insurance company will total it. You can do a lot of repairs before you hit $65 or $70 thousand. If it was the front and crushed the engine compartment, yeah I would say totalled. Rear end? I doubt it.

Its not as if any time your car gets in an accident you pick up the phone and say, "Listen to my sob story! Hey its 2 months old! I want a new one!"

I think the way you would get out of the car is say the repair bill is $30,000. You take the $30,000 check, don't fix the car but sell it for parts/salavge whatever. And then you go and buy a new one. But I doubt it will even get up to that dollar amount. You can also try to get money out of the "dimished value" approach.

I asked about your insurance company because some years ago I was in a 2 month old Porsche hit from the rear and pushed into the car in front of me. $28,000 damage to my car, but the insurance company would not total my car. I took the repair check, then sold the car to a salvage yard. I took a $10,000 hit.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #15
jacory12
Rep

[QUOTE=KIS;8646455]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty M View Post
I doubt the insurance company will total it. You can do a lot of repairs before you hit $65 or $70 thousand. If it was the front and crushed the engine compartment, yeah I would say totalled. Rear end? I doubt it.

I asked about your insurance company because some years ago I was in a 2 month old Porsche hit from the rear and pushed into the car in front of me. $28,000 damage to my car, but the insurance company would not total my car. I took the repair check, then sold the car to a salvage yard. I took a $10,000 hit.
Sorry about the confusion, pretty much doing the same,
going to get it fixed and then sell it, and already working on the new M3 and options (found a few new ones with the color and options I want at a sister dealership about an hour away), not that picky with options, just want the color (grey), black leather, nav, and cf leather trim, so there were 4 coupes models with the same options nearby.......
know it sounds vain buying another M but honestly the M is well within my means and very thankful for it (although also worked very hard for it, 13 years of education after high school!!), plus good with savings, work, house, etc.,....
I agree with the above, once your car is is an accident never feels the same unless its very minor. The damage was mostly to the rear drivers side/rear bumper, frame, wheel tire, just felt off last night driving it home and knew something was off, no serious injuries, had a similar with a prior car and never was the same, now that I can do something about it, I decided wth, pretty much thrifty everywhere else
      01-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #16
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

The guy who left the scene of the accident is a jackass. Though in his defense, DAs are more aggressive about seeking convictions for DUIs than they are for hit and run accidents, especially ones where no injuries have taken place.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #17
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=jacory12;8646599]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIS View Post

Sorry about the confusion, pretty much doing the same,
going to get it fixed and then sell it, and already working on the new M3 and options (found a few new ones with the color and options I want at a sister dealership about an hour away), not that picky with options, just want the color (grey), black leather, nav, and cf leather trim, so there were 4 coupes models with the same options nearby.......
know it sounds vain buying another M but honestly the M is well within my means and very thankful for it (although also worked very hard for it, 13 years of education after high school!!), plus good with savings, work, house, etc.,....
I agree with the above, once your car is is an accident never feels the same unless its very minor. The damage was mostly to the rear drivers side/rear bumper, frame, wheel tire, just felt off last night driving it home and knew something was off, no serious injuries, had a similar with a prior car and never was the same, now that I can do something about it, I decided wth, pretty much thrifty everywhere else
Since you're in a position to truly put this behind you, I commend you for your approach. Crying about what happened does not help, starting fresh does.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 07:15 PM   #18
jacory12
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
The guy who left the scene of the accident is a jackass. Though in his defense, DAs are more aggressive about seeking convictions for DUIs than they are for hit and run accidents, especially ones where no injuries have taken place.
Totally right,

That's what the police where saying to us last night while the report was being filled out.... basically if the guy can get home before the police find him he'll only be charged with a misdeamenor, if there was an injury and he fled then if would have been a felony, also like you mentioned a DUI is generally a stiffer penalty, especially if there have been prior DUIs.... police where able to bring up his tag/info and sent someone to his address, they were going to try and get him before he could park his car and then test him, if not they'll impound his car when found and then said he would have to eventually show up to get his car back... either way we will have to go to court to identify the guy or the police said he walks.... I know everyone makes mistakes, hopefully this person will be more responsible in the future
      01-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #19
jacory12
Rep

[QUOTE=KIS;8647021]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacory12 View Post

Since you're in a position to truly put this behind you, I commend you for your approach. Crying about what happened does not help, starting fresh does.
Thanks, stuff happen, frustrating but what ever, have health, incredible wifey /family and friends
      01-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #20
mgx
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
4 years ago the guy in front of me and I STARTED moving slowly when the light turned green but for unknown reason he decided to stop again so I hit him at may be 5MPH. My bumper didn't even need repair. He and his mom in the passenger seat got $5000 medical whatever. My insurance company (Gieco at the time) paid and never tried to fight it (cheaper) and of course my premium increased for 3 years. A hit strong enough to cause a frame damage and "total" a car would definitely cause "medical" injuries!! Add the drunk driving, the court will love it.
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #21
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
Glad you caught the bastard. Good luck.
      01-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #22
mcp202
Private
Rep
Drives: V3 CTS V

Sorry to hear about the accident and it is good to hear you and your wife are okay. Respect for handling the situation the way you did as I am sure there were a few WTF during your conversation with this jacka$$!! Karma is a bi$@h!

Oh yeah, too bad for the brand new M!!
Appreciate 0