BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
dillon733
Major
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3

Front Plate

I've been thinking about getting rid of the front plate on my car. However in New York you are required to run a front plate. Does anyone have any experiance with the swift motorsports hide away front plate? If you have the hide away plate does it rattle when it is tucked away and you are driving? where did you mount it under the kidney's or under the front U shaped lip? Can you still see the bracket with the plate tucked away? Pics are greatly appreciated.

Also, this may sound dumb but does anyone know what the penalty in NY is for not having a front plate? is it considered a moving violation, and therfore is your insurance company notified. How much is the ticket approximately?

Thank you for your imput
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #2
jk6672
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 m3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon733 View Post
I've been thinking about getting rid of the front plate on my car. However in New York you are required to run a front plate. Does anyone have any experiance with the swift motorsports hide away front plate? If you have the hide away plate does it rattle when it is tucked away and you are driving? where did you mount it under the kidney's or under the front U shaped lip? Can you still see the bracket with the plate tucked away? Pics are greatly appreciated.

Also, this may sound dumb but does anyone know what the penalty in NY is for not having a front plate? is it considered a moving violation, and therfore is your insurance company notified. How much is the ticket approximately?

Thank you for your imput
I don't know what the penalty is, but I can guarantee that it’s not a moving violation. A moving violation would be something that you do while the vehicle is in motion. Tint, plates, tires protruding out too far, lights too far from the ground, smoking car are all examples of fix it tickets and will never increase your insurance premiums.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
Islika153
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 coupe Space Grey

On my Acura I actually cut a place under the front bumper near where it meets the black grill and slid the top 1 " - 2" up in it where the numbers could generally still be seen and fastened the bottom part of the plate to the grill. Crude, but it looked WAY better then mounting it to the front bumper and having holes there. I did the above after getting a Fix it ticket in WA. state. After I did the above I was never stopped again. Ill wait till my M3 is delivered next month to decide if ill do something similiar.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
Mr_Z
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3

I just bought one of these for my ///M. I would prefer not to run a front plate, but I don't want any unwanted attention from the cops.

http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/plate.htm

-Adam
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Z View Post
I just bought one of these for my ///M. I would prefer not to run a front plate, but I don't want any unwanted attention from the cops.

-Adam
That's the best one I've seen yet. Do you have a pic of it on your E92?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Z View Post

-Adam
Pic please! I didnt' think there was enough room under the lip to mount this one.

If you really don't want any holes in the bumper at all...check out the link below. Not the best looking, but I think its good for enough for inspection or signing off fix its. I wouldn't keep it on all the time though.

http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-BMW.html

2009 E92 M3 6MT Jet Black
Mods: MS Air Filter | MS spacers (bulldog stance) | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | Matte Black Kidney Grills and Gills | BMW Performance Pedals | EAS Aftermarket Alarm System| AiB Headlights | Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
TwistaStick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW BMW E92 M3 DCT

Let me refer you to an older thread about the hideaway plates.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142012

You you will see swiftmotorsports as well as Altec Show-N-Go plate. Also some pics of front bumper removed to let you know some issues to overcome. According to the videos I've seen the Altec is quieter and cheaper at summitracing.com. Good luck and let me know how it turns out. I am in the market as well as soon as I receive my first ticket.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
Mr_Z
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
That's the best one I've seen yet. Do you have a pic of it on your E92?

It is on order, as soon as I get it in the mail I will install it and then post pics.

-Adam
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
tg600
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i got a ticket the first day with my M for no plates. i beat the ticket at the dmv court but had to pay 80 bucks anyway. You decide if i really won. I bought the swift motorsports motorized hideaway plate bracket but i still havent had it installed. I just have the plate attached with zip ties to the lower mesh grill for now. its probably not helping the car breathe during faster driving but just havent gotten around to the installation.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
Mr_Z
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg600 View Post
i got a ticket the first day with my M for no plates. i beat the ticket at the dmv court but had to pay 80 bucks anyway. You decide if i really won. I bought the swift motorsports motorized hideaway plate bracket but i still havent had it installed. I just have the plate attached with zip ties to the lower mesh grill for now. its probably not helping the car breathe during faster driving but just havent gotten around to the installation.
I was about to get the motorized license plate holder from Swift, but then I had second thoughts because I was afraid that if I ever bottomed out then that whole piece be taken off along with my license plate.

I am only going to mount my Skene Design license plate bracket when I start getting too much crap from the cops.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #11
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
The ticket is a fix it ticket. Usually $30 unless you fix it, in that case it would be $10.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0