BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

04-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
///M places to visit in Germany?

Im about to wrap up my time in Afghan and am looking forward to getting home to the family and the car. Perfect time to get back to Germany, spring time, fests, bier...

I have a question that maybe some of the ED folks can help out with. I want to go to some of the best places to see stuff dealing with BMW and ///M cars in particular. I read a post the other day of an ED and he mentioned going to an M museum?

I know about the Welt and had the dealer not told me about the extra 3 week wait for a slot, I would have picked up El-Superbeasto there.

So, Im looking for some suggestions and ideas of some places I can go visit. Ive been in Germany for many years prior and will be there for a few more, but Id like to hit some places this summer. I promised the wife when I bought my dream car that we would see more of Germany in it... Thanks for any ideas!

Edit: Putting a list of places together:
1. Welt-Munich, Bavaria.
2. Nürburgring-Nürburg, Rhineland-Palatinate.
3. Hockenheimring-Hockenheim, Baden-Württemberg.
4. BMW Plant, Regensburg, Bavaria.
5. Mercedes/Porsche, Stuttgart, Bavaria.
6. Berchtesgaden, Bavaria.

Last edited by Erie Von Otto; 04-18-2012 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
Arben72
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nurgburgring, you know for the historic value.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Salzburg. Go to Redbull Hangar Seven. Not exactly M, but still awesome! And it's close to Munich. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Salzburg. Go to Redbull Hangar Seven. Not exactly M, but still awesome! And it's close to Munich. Enjoy!
Thats a pretty interesting looking place... Im going to bring it up next time we talk. And we get to visit Austria. Hmmm.
      04-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
Im about to wrap up my time in Afghan and am looking forward to getting home to the family and the car. Perfect time to get back to Germany, spring time, fests, bier...

I have a question that maybe some of the ED folks can help out with. I want to go to some of the best places to see stuff dealing with BMW and ///M cars in particular. I read a post the other day of an ED and he mentioned going to an M museum?

I know about the Welt and had the dealer not told me about the extra 3 week wait for a slot, I would have picked up El-Superbeasto there.

So, Im looking for some suggestions and ideas of some places I can go visit. Ive been in Germany for many years prior and will be there for a few more, but Id like to hit some places this summer. I promised the wife when I bought my dream car that we would see more of Germany in it... Thanks for any ideas!

Edit: Putting a list of places together:
1. Welt-Munich, Bavaria.
2. Nürburgring-Nürburg, Rhineland-Palatinate.
3. Hockenheimring-Hockenheim, Baden-Württemberg.
I did all 3 of those on my ED trip last May. The BMW museum is right across the road from the Welt and there is a pedestrian bridge which connects the 2. Remember the museum is closed on Mondays.

If you visit Hockenheim stay in Heidelburg nearby, very lovely place. Amazing huge castle on a mountain overlooking the old city and there is an inclined railway which will take you from the old city to the top of the mountain. At the ring go around to the north of the track on the paved bike path and see the memorial to Jimmy Clark who died there. It's between the track fence and a stand of trees. There is a museum at the track which has an amazing collection of older motorcycles and one or 2 old F1 cars.

I would also go to the southwest corner of the country and drive in the Black Forest.

And of course do the Nurburgring Nordschleiffe (sp?).

In between Heidelburg and the Black Forest lies Stuttgart where you can see the Porsche Museum. It is worth the effort.

Last edited by goldminer; 04-17-2012 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Museums and Factories of VW Glass Factory (Dresden) Mercedes and Porsche (Stuttgart) are a must see.

If you have a chance in Hamburg visit the Miniature Wonder World at the old Harbour, fun for the entire famaly ~ here is a taste ---> Click to Open

More Ideas and links in my signature below "Click Here for Fun Links".

Enjoy

Cheers, Rolf

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Check out some the european delivery features that have been posted on our homepage for some ideas:

http://www.bimmerpost.com/europeandelivery/
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Not car specific places, as others have provided, but here's some of my favorite places not already listed, and worth seeing. I've been to Germany about 20 times to visit family (or pick up a new car).

Rotenburg ob der Tauber - Gorgeous medieval town
Dinkelsbühl - neighboring walled village - gorgeous without the Rotenburg tourists
Füssen - Neuschwanstein/Hohenschwangau castles
Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Great Alpen town by the Zugspitze (largest Alp auf Deutschland) - or alternate Oberammegau as a base to see the Zugspitze
Berchtesgaden - Eagles Nest (and very quick jaunt to Salzburg from there)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
Schwaben
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

As you are in Ansbach we could always meet up in Stuttgart for Frühlingsfest
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Take some leave & go to Darby. Use it as a patrol base. Get a deluxe room with patio & grill & chill out & slow down. Gotta get your reservations in now. Go to the Darby IMCOM site & see what they offer. There's a lot to do there on a shoestring budget. If you plan on doing a lot of driving, I wouldn't take the M3. Gas is expensive & I'd be leary parking off Darby.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
CBS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10535, E90M3, E30M3, E28M5

Garage List
2017 Alpina B6 GC  [0.00]
2014 535xi M Sport  [0.00]
2014 X3 3.5 M Sport  [0.00]
2011 M3 E90  [9.74]
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [7.00]
1990 M3  [9.50]
1988 M5  [10.00]
OP: All of the above posts are excellent suggestions but as Rolf said touring the Factory was by far the most interesting (for me). I was really impressed with the BMW Munich Factory and their use of Robotics.

So I found I spent an entire day which included Welt, Factory Tour and BMW Museum. They are all located together.
You won't be disappointed. Since I was taking delivery, they (Welt) worked me into the Factory Tour and gave me tickets to the Museum (I don't know how difficult it would be to obtain otherwise).

Have a Blast and remember to post pics!
Chris

ESS VT-1 550 | M24 Oil Cooler | Fall Line Half Cage | RaceTech 4009W | 6 pt Harness | Lifeline Zero 360 Fire Suppression | Rear Seat Delete | Motion Control DA Dampers w/remote reservoirs | 900/650 Hyperco Springs | RD Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | GC Camber Plates | Hoosier R7 | Eisenmann Sport | Stack Gauges | Painted Challenge Front Lip | Painted ZCP Rear Spoiler | Xpel Ultimate Film | LuxAngelEyes
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #12
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Don't forget the Regensberg plant...see where your baby was born.
      04-17-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Gents,
Wow! Thanks for the ideas... That will definitely make for a great list of places to go to this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
I would also go to the southwest corner of the country and drive in the Black Forest.
I hear that is some great scenery... will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Peter View Post
Museums and Factories of VW Glass Factory (Dresden) Mercedes and Porsche (Stuttgart) are a must see.

If you have a chance in Hamburg visit the Miniature Wonder World at the old Harbour, fun for the entire famaly

More Ideas and links in my signature below "Click Here for Fun Links".
Stuttgart Merc/Porsche are on the list! And your "fun links" are a HUGE help! Thanks Peter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Check out some the european delivery features that have been posted on our homepage for some ideas:

http://www.bimmerpost.com/europeandelivery/
Wow... Great page. Going to take a bit to go through all that info... perfect!! Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Not car specific places, as others have provided, but here's some of my favorite places not already listed, and worth seeing. I've been to Germany about 20 times to visit family (or pick up a new car).
Lucky!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Rotenburg ob der Tauber - Gorgeous medieval town
Dinkelsbühl - neighboring walled village - gorgeous without the Rotenburg tourists
Füssen - Neuschwanstein/Hohenschwangau castles
Garmisch-Partenkirchen - Great Alpen town by the Zugspitze (largest Alp auf Deutschland) - or alternate Oberammegau as a base to see the Zugspitze
Berchtesgaden - Eagles Nest (and very quick jaunt to Salzburg from there)
Berchtesgarden is on the list. We've been to Fussen, Garmisch, and Rotenburg, all beautiful places. (So many reasons to love Germany)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuttgartM3 View Post
As you are in Ansbach we could always meet up in Stuttgart for Frühlingsfest
Absolutely! And when the Ansbach Fest is going on, youll have to come up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS View Post
So I found I spent an entire day which included Welt, Factory Tour and BMW Museum. They are all located together.
You won't be disappointed. Since I was taking delivery, they (Welt) worked me into the Factory Tour and gave me tickets to the Museum (I don't know how difficult it would be to obtain otherwise).

Have a Blast and remember to post pics!
Chris
I believe I may have to go down there on a solo trip. I would want to walk around and take it all in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreToyz View Post
Don't forget the Regensberg plant...see where your baby was born.
BAM! On the list... 100%. Totally forgot about that... Thanks!!

Many thanks to all. If you find yourself in Germany over the next few years, drop me a line...
      04-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #14
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC

Garage List
M-Studio in Garching just outside of Munich maybe you'll see the F80 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
767IJP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Number one point.

WELCOME BACK!!! Thanks for your service.
      04-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #16
jamze132
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 228i

If you trip lines up with one of our M Flight Club meets, we'd love to have ya. 20+ M3s rolling down the autobahn!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 07:22 AM   #17
M_GmbH
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 2012 e92 ZCP - Space Grey

Garage List
This place is pretty cool too - not BMW related though...

http://www.autostadt.de/en/start/
Appreciate 0