BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

07-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #111
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Ah, no that's different. That's the "Active Traffic Management" system they built. Cameras monitor traffic throughout the day and should traffic become too congested, the shoulder opens to traffic (before, the shoulder was only open to traffic during rush hour) and the speed limits will drop as traffic becomes more and more congested.

http://wtop.com/sprawl-crawl/2016/04...ily-commuters/

Construction hasn't yet started on setting up the HOT lanes inside the beltway on I-66 but that's supposed to start soon then after hopefully not too long, they're actually adding more lanes on I-66 inside the beltway.....thank God.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-66-hot-lanes/

oh yes, that active traffic management rich people lane...what is that called locally?
      07-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #112
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
oh yes, that active traffic management rich people lane...what is that called locally?
Haha well those lanes are free to use, we don't really refer to them as anything. Well I don't know, maybe we do but I never use them since I don't venture outside the beltway often. I just call it a clusterfuck.

I do call the HOT lanes the rich people lanes and joke that along 95 and 495, only those poors have to sit in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 02:01 PM   #113
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Haha well those lanes are free to use, we don't really refer to them as anything. Well I don't know, maybe we do but I never use them since I don't venture outside the beltway often. I just call it a clusterfuck.

I do call the HOT lanes the rich people lanes and joke that along 95 and 495, only those poors have to sit in traffic.
wait how are those free? It clearly marks how much you pay with the transponder to access each exit in those lanes. It was up and running back in 2013?
      07-20-2016, 02:54 PM   #114
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
wait how are those free? It clearly marks how much you pay with the transponder to access each exit in those lanes. It was up and running back in 2013?
The Active Traffic Management system on I-66 and the HOT lanes on 495 and 95/395 are two different things. The latter costs money, the former is free. The HOT lanes were open when you left in 2013, but you had mentioned you saw construction on I-66 when you moved in 2013 and thought those were those rich people lanes, but that was for ATM system. I don't think they were doing any work related to the HOT lanes back in 2013 because I think they were all done by then. If memory serves right, they finished in November of 2012.

Currently there are no HOT lanes on I-66 but will be starting next year, the HOT lanes on I-66 will be built inside the beltway. They haven't even started building that yet.

The construction you saw back in 2013 was for the Active Traffic Management system since that started in 2013.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #115
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The Active Traffic Management system on I-66 and the HOT lanes on 495 and 95/395 are two different things. The latter costs money, the former is free. The HOT lanes were open when you left in 2013, but you had mentioned you saw construction on I-66 when you moved in 2013 and thought those were those rich people lanes, but that was for ATM system. I don't think they were doing any work related to the HOT lanes back in 2013 because I think they were all done by then. If memory serves right, they finished in November of 2012.

Currently there are no HOT lanes on I-66 but will be starting next year, the HOT lanes on I-66 will be built inside the beltway. They haven't even started building that yet.

The construction you saw back in 2013 was for the Active Traffic Management system since that started in 2013.
and ATM is free right now?
      07-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #116
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
and ATM is free right now?
Yeah, all that is is just a system of display boards telling you how long it'll take to reach a specific exit. It also included adding display boards that display the speed limit that can change depending on the amount of traffic. It also included some algorithm to open the shoulder to excess traffic if it became too congested so the ATM will always be free since there's no toll element.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #117
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, all that is is just a system of display boards telling you how long it'll take to reach a specific exit. It also included adding display boards that display the speed limit that can change depending on the amount of traffic. It also included some algorithm to open the shoulder to excess traffic if it became too congested so the ATM will always be free since there's no toll element.
I recall there's an element of pricing on the board.

OP- this is directly related to how much more complicated driving will be in DMV.
      07-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #118
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I recall there's an element of pricing on the board.

OP- this is directly related to how much more complicated driving will be in DMV.
Lol they installed a few signs on I-66 to give you prices as to how much it would be to merge on the I-495 HOT lanes instead of the commoner lanes.

You'd think one would be sufficient but they installed multiple in the event Maryland drivers are too busy not paying attention to driving I guess. Every exit along the HOT lane corridor has signs telling you how much it's gonna cost you to take the HOT lanes vs. the free poor people lanes.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 05:48 PM   #119
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:

I was shocked when I went back to visit family last year and saw the 'rich people' lanes and what they were charging.

The HOV-3 lanes were a perfect way for you, a buddy, and a JC Penney mannequin to make it home in 30 minutes.
Appreciate 0