BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

04-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #45
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryharry19 View Post
Well when I got the car to the mechanic I did have a misfire code this time. He checked compression and found I was 30psi down on I believe he said cylinder 2... so he will be performing a leak down test. I don't know what could have happened. the car is DCT so I don't see how I could have bent a valve. unless some metal broke off in the supercharger?? I'm just praying the cylinder and cylinder walls look ok. So all I know now is I definitely did have 2 issues and #2 could be very bad.
That's a bad feeling! =(

I hope the compression will be found out to be okay, just construction characteristic difference.

And there is no way to be a stuck injector?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #46
scaryharry19
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 VF620

Nope fuel injectors where fine. I’m changing 02 sensors, coil packs and plugs but first want to get the leak down and bore scope results... we shall see soon!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #47
scaryharry19
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvictormp View Post
That's a bad feeling! =(

I hope the compression will be found out to be okay, just construction characteristic difference.

And there is no way to be a stuck injector?
What do you mean by construction characteristic difference? I am obviously pretty rookie to all this.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 05:32 AM   #48
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryharry19 View Post
What do you mean by construction characteristic difference? I am obviously pretty rookie to all this.
I mean the little differences between cilinders due to imperfections at the manufacture process. Nothing to be corrected.

I'm rookie too, but there is a tolerance of the differences of compression measurement between the cilinders. Some may have a percentage less compression than others.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:36 AM   #49
scaryharry19
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvictormp View Post
I mean the little differences between cilinders due to imperfections at the manufacture process. Nothing to be corrected.

I'm rookie too, but there is a tolerance of the differences of compression measurement between the cilinders. Some may have a percentage less compression than others.
Ok i see. 30 psi seems a lot though. Bore scope cam (which I will try to share but the file is huge because the guys forgot to shut off the camera for 7 minutes) shows very small, minor scoring scattered all over the head of the piston. So we're pretty positive something got in there. small, but something metal. which would explain why the gap on the spark plug on that cylinder was literally bent closed on one side in a very uneven way. So since that spark plug was damaged, that piston wasnt even running. meaning that injector would have been shut off too, ruling the injector scenario out anyways.

Sooo what on earth got in there? The only plausible thing I can think is that something from the supercharger broke off and flew down stream. Has anyone heard of supercharger failures with the VF620 kit? its a Vortech V3-Si supercharger. I havent seen anything on failures. but im guessing that supercharger probs needs to be opened up and taken a look at.

I should have results on the leak down today.
Appreciate 1
jvictormp881.00
      05-21-2023, 02:04 PM   #50
ronniem3
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
  [0.00]
2011 e92 m3 csl  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcuzem3 View Post
Hi everyone,

Well my worst nightmare came true a couple of days ago when my 2011 e92 M3 with only 20,100 miles decided to randomly go into a limp mode when coming off a stop. Cause? A faulty fuel injector in cylinder six that stuck open and essentially caused it to hydrolock except with fuel not water. This also caused multiple other cylinders to misfire. Due to the extent of damage to the cylinder and other components, BMW decided that it needed a new engine, which I agree with.

Good news, my CPO warranty had just taken effect due to my factory warranty expiring last month. Thankfully, it will cover all the repair costs. The dealership that is doing the work on the car is extremely knowledgable and reputable, therefor I am completely confident in that my car will run like new. But still a crappy situation at the least.

My question from all of this, which I have not seen any forumns or threads touch on, is will the replacement of my engine have any type of effect on the after sale of my car? It still has an accident-free and clean title, two owners, and a fully loaded competition package. To some, having a new engine is a great thing. To others, it may scare them away or make them think the car is worth less. Any inputs?
Thanks!!
Just happened to me 🙄
Appreciate 1
jvictormp881.00
      05-26-2023, 07:35 PM   #51
Assimilator1
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92 08 & 330d e90 10

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniem3 View Post
Just happened to me 🙄
Sorry to hear that , and to confirm, you mean a stuck open injector killed your engine?

On a different note, I don't know how this thread was missed from the blown engines list, now added.
      06-03-2023, 07:09 PM   #52
ronniem3
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
  [0.00]
2011 e92 m3 csl  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilator1 View Post
Sorry to hear that , and to confirm, you mean a stuck open injector killed your engine?

On a different note, I don't know how this thread was missed from the blown engines list, now added.
Yes
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 08:52 PM   #53
Assimilator1
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 e92 08 & 330d e90 10

Garage List
2010 BMW 330d  [8.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Damn! , how many miles has your car done?