BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #1
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92M, GT3

Why BMW making the move to turbo and not superchargers

It just seems that superchargers are much better at preserving the NA tendencies of immediate throttle response with no lag.

Clearly, with all the supercharged e9x's they could also maintain the high rpm redline and free revving nature of M engines.

So why is M dept moving to turbo's instead of superchargers?

Are turbo's more fuel efficient? Or is there some other reason?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

the point of a turbo is to save fuel when not going full throttle. a supercharger is just a way of increasing power without increasing displacement.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Short answer: To save money.

BMW's answer: Turbo is more efficient. Efficient dynamics. Blah Blah...

Real answer: BMW doesn't want to invest on R&D too much. High revving NAs are gone because they don't want to spend money. If they do supercharger, that'll require more R&D than using a modified version of one of their turbo engines for the M3.
      01-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Turbos give you more top end power than SC.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Short answer: To save money.

BMW's answer: Turbo is more efficient. Efficient dynamics. Blah Blah...

Real answer: BMW doesn't want to invest on R&D too much. High revving NAs are gone because they don't want to spend money. If they do supercharger, that'll require more R&D than using a modified version of one of their turbo engines for the M3.
totally disagree. imo the reason is that they changed the meaning of M from Motorsport to Marketing, i.e. with the whole movement towards greener cars, they also want to make the Ms greener.

saving money is bs because all BMW has ever done was developing high revving n/a engines. so the r&d effort there is minimal compared to shifting into a whole new technology.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypptic View Post
Are turbo's more fuel efficient? Or is there some other reason?
I think that turbo's will be more efficient, yes.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
In actual practice... turbo engines currently deliver slightly better fuel economy and the same or more power than a supercharged engine. A supercharger requires power to drive it and this hurts mpg. The window on efficiency is narrowing between the two however and an argument can be made for either design. A lot depends on packaging, costs, desired driving performance, etc.
or better yet do what VW does in Europe
turbocharging AND supercharging
read up on the twin charger
they have it on a 1.4, but it puts out the power of a 2.0
while using less fuel
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
while using less fuel
Alas, poor overly complicated 1.4L VW engine, we hardly knew ye:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/19/r...uld-be-killed/
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
W12x
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, Z/28, Evo Final Edition

I believe the efficiency of superchargers are more influenced by heat compared to turbos. The superchargers start to lose a large amount of efficiency once the heat start building up, so that could be a problem.
Plus turbos does save fuels...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
UNNATRAL
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3, 09 Ford Explorer V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
Turbos give you more top end power than SC.
Your right but not necessarily. many turbos die out around 1-2k rpm before redline. case in point, the 335i LOL. Supercharger is constant boost.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
Ken37.73
Private 1st Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jet Black

I recall many posters on here referencing the 997 TT as dream car in various threads over the years. Doesn't seem to be much wrong with that. Variable veng whatyamacallit etc.

PS - Is is me or does it seem a little bit premature/small minded/daft to write off BMW's chances of producing a successful turbo M3 ? Personally a 450bhp TT straight six sounds like the dogs from where I'm standing,

Ken

Last edited by Ken37.73; 01-19-2011 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #12
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken37.73 View Post
PS - Is is me or does it seem a little bit premature/small minded/daft to write off BMW's chances of producing a successful turbo M3 ? Personally a 450bhp TT straight six sounds like the dogs from where I'm standing,

Ken
I don't get what's impressive about a 450bhp turbo engine, assuming (with high probabilty) that it will have much narrower power band than 414bhp S65. That being said, if that said turbo engine delivers that hp at lets say 5000rpm, while S65 does it in 8300rpm, then I think it is safe to say that turbo engine will have ~500ft-lb torque. With that much torque, longer gear ratios can be used...

But which one is better? A lot of torque in short powerband that allows you to use tall gear, or decent amount of torque in a wide powerband where you can fit short gears (which will multiply torque&power at the wheels)..? I think the latter is better.
      01-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken37.73 View Post
I recall many posters on here referencing the 997 TT as dream car in various threads over the years. Doesn't seem to be much wrong with that. Variable veng whatyamacallit etc.

Ken
true, the new turbo engine should have a variable vanes...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #14
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure I see how turbos are more efficient if when you get on them they burn as much fuel as a larger displacement engine. Where if you lay off its like they don't exist.

Now I get that because the supercharger is belt driven there will be parasitic losses, but if you are not getting on it, shouldn't it be just as efficient as turbos?

Also, this is not a thread about if BMW should go FI, just curious why the choice of turbos v. Superchargers.

Audi seems to like both. Fwiw
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
rapyoke
///M POWER
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 6MT M3 Sedan

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure I see how turbos are more efficient if when you get on them they burn as much fuel as a larger displacement engine. Where if you lay off its like they don't exist.

Now I get that because the supercharger is belt driven there will be parasitic losses, but if you are not getting on it, shouldn't it be just as efficient as turbos?

Also, this is not a thread about if BMW should go FI, just curious why the choice of turbos v. Superchargers.

To be honest, it seems like it's more design preference than anything. With today's blower/turbo technology and tuning, the difference between the two is pretty moot. Jaguar, Land Rover, and Mercedes all seem to prefer supercharging their vehicles. VW and Audi seem to prefer turbocharging (except in the case of the A6 3.0T and the S4 3.0T). They're both just a way of getting the power of a V8 from a V6, V6 power from an I4, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #16
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

Currently looks like MB has the lead in the green car race .

Check out those mpg rating on the CLS63 at 23.1 combined @ 518/519 , mercedes number though. Also it weighs less than the E93, but about 500 more than the E92.

http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-b...rst-drive.html
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #17
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
while using less fuel
If I had to swallow FI, I'd be down for a twin charger.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #18
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Turbos are more efficient because you get higher bhp/liter. So let's say you get 400bhp from 3liters instead of 4. Now when you're cruising (which is what u do most of the time) you have the "economy" of smaller engine.

In the case of supercharger, that always works and hence always draws power from the engine. Maybe someone can make a supercharger with a clutch so when you're cruising it can be disconnected from the engine. But than, when u want to accelerate it'll have to spool hence lag.

Quote:

01-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #19
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

cuz turbos are cheaper?
      01-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #20
Krypptic
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Turbos are more efficient because you get higher bhp/liter. So let's say you get 400bhp from 3liters instead of 4. Now when you're cruising (which is what u do most of the time) you have the "economy" of smaller engine.

In the case of supercharger, that always works and hence always draws power from the engine. Maybe someone can make a supercharger with a clutch so when you're cruising it can be disconnected from the engine. But than, when u want to accelerate it'll have to spool hence lag.
That actually makes a lot of sense. I can now see where the tradeoff is for the lack of lag. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #21
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_cornholio View Post
totally disagree. imo the reason is that they changed the meaning of M from Motorsport to Marketing, i.e. with the whole movement towards greener cars, they also want to make the Ms greener.

saving money is bs because all BMW has ever done was developing high revving n/a engines. so the r&d effort there is minimal compared to shifting into a whole new technology.
One note - BMW (and all other manufacturers) are being forced into greener cars. So yes, BMW is most likely looking to save money by keeping all of their engines aligned with the same technologies, etc. but the shift to turbos is really coming from the fact that they need to achieve a certain fleet average MPG.
Appreciate 0