BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

6MT weird shudder when accelerating from stop

I was wondering if anyone else has had this same problem. When I'm accelerating from a stop I get a weird shudder from what I assume to be the transmission (although could be from diff). Basically when I release the clutch and press the gas, it's very hard/impossible sometimes to get a smooth transition

It's kind of like when your were a noob driving a stick and you couldn't slip the clutch correctly and the car would kind of die for a split second... Except I've been driving a stick for like 15 years and even when I'm really focusing on it I can't get it to transition correctly

It seems to be an intermittent issue that is usually worse when I'm accelerating from a stop on an incline.
      11-18-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

Incline issue leads me to belive it could be clutch related. How many miles on it?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's not all the time and I don't feel the clutch slipping, only 45k miles on the car and they aren't hard miles.

When I release the clutch and press the gas there is like a slight pause, shudder, then the car catches and moves
      11-19-2014, 02:14 AM   #4
PerfM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Space, E92 M3 Techno

I'm going through a similar situation. My mechanic took the driveshart off and noticed the rear portion is binding. I've yet to find time to go back and get it fixed. I'll keep you posted
      11-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERFM3 View Post
I'm going through a similar situation. My mechanic took the driveshart off and noticed the rear portion is binding. I've yet to find time to go back and get it fixed. I'll keep you posted
Hmm, that's concerning. What are the symptoms that you are experiencing?

Does it get better or worse with the car being cold vs. hot?

Have you noticed this issue getting worse or stayed the same?

Are there any particular noises (metal scraping, grinding etc)?

Is it like really noticeable and you feel like you need to stop driving the car or does it just seem more like an annoying thing that you could deal with?

Guess I will look up driveshaft issues for the car. Thanks
      11-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
mtfinger
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Very timely post. I was just booking an appointment with BMW to have them look at this issue on my car (2013 6MT w/17k on it).

Just to make sure we are talking about this same thing, here is what I'm experiencing.

On an incline (even small incline) or if I have multiple people in the car, if you take off even gently, at the very end of releasing the clutch, you can feel it shutter a bit. It's not a horrible shutter, but I have had more than 1 passenger give me a hard time for "almost stalling the car". Even though that is not whats happening. Revs never go below 1000-1100.

In my car, it doesn't do it until I have driven the car a bit. I don't need to drive it hard to really heat it up. Just my normal drive to work, by the end of a 25 mins commute, it will do it on and off.

I have been spending some time trying different things to be able to reproduce it on demand, because I can already hear the BMW SA "It's normal for these M3 cars".

I have owned the car since new, and it only started this within the past 1000 miles or so.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM3Yet
Very timely post. I was just booking an appointment with BMW to have them look at this issue on my car (2013 6MT w/17k on it).

Just to make sure we are talking about this same thing, here is what I'm experiencing.

On an incline (even small incline) or if I have multiple people in the car, if you take off even gently, at the very end of releasing the clutch, you can feel it shutter a bit. It's not a horrible shutter, but I have had more than 1 passenger give me a hard time for "almost stalling the car". Even though that is not whats happening. Revs never go below 1000-1100.

In my car, it doesn't do it until I have driven the car a bit. I don't need to drive it hard to really heat it up. Just my normal drive to work, by the end of a 25 mins commute, it will do it on and off.

I have been spending some time trying different things to be able to reproduce it on demand, because I can already hear the BMW SA "It's normal for these M3 cars".

I have owned the car since new, and it only started this within the past 1000 miles or so.
Yes it sounds the same. It doesn't have to be an incline but an incline does seem to exacerbate the problem. Mine also seems to only do this once the car has spent some time on the road and warmed up.
      11-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Maybe have the guibo or center bearing inspected.
      11-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Interesting...I have been noticing this lately as well. I just thought it was because I wasn't giving it enough gas while releasing the clutch so the revs dip <600 causing the slight shudder. I'll keep my eyes on this thread though.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 08:03 AM   #10
sankarsh12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 - 6MT - Silverstone

I had the same issue, got it fixed ...the issue is the broken pressure plates.. so i am guessing you need to replace the clutch assembly.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
Interesting...I have been noticing this lately as well. I just thought it was because I wasn't giving it enough gas while releasing the clutch so the revs dip <600 causing the slight shudder. I'll keep my eyes on this thread though.
I think what you are describing might be normal, with the issue i'm having the rpm doesn't drop, it actually feels like something is slipping that shouldn't be.

It doesn't seem to be the clutch it seems to be coming from the rear end
      11-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
mtfinger
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankarsh12 View Post
I had the same issue, got it fixed ...the issue is the broken pressure plates.. so i am guessing you need to replace the clutch assembly.
Were you having the "slight" shutter that we are describing? Did it only do it after the car warmed up a bit?

I'm asking as a broken pressure plate is a big thing, and I would expect more than a "slight" shutter with a broken plate.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #13
sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
This is very telling of a prop-shaft center-bearing failure--at least if my days from the older BMWs are any indication. Hopefully it is fixed quickly
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #14
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Not sure if everyone here is having the same problems but here is a test from rogue engineering that you can try to see if it's the giubo that's starting to fail, besides looking at the actual thing of course.

http://www.rogueengineering.com/bmw/GUIBO.html

Btw, I did a quick google search and didn't find any but is there an upgraded giubo and center bearing? Or is OEM the only option?

Last edited by dreamspeed; 11-26-2014 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
sankarsh12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 - 6MT - Silverstone

yes, broken pressure plate seems a big thing and u would expect a lot of noise.. but the service guys said... the car can be driven even without repairing it..
all i heard was a small shutter when i changed gear from 1st gear to 2nd gear.

the best thing to do is .. just go to bmw service.. they will fix it ..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #16
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
I get the shuddering from time to time but it is very inconsistent.

Did a search and it seems to be common amongst BMWs (though i don't remember experiencing this on my E46).

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463335
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739881
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=629950

The normality of the phenomenon is debatable but the general consensus is that uneven wear from excessive stop & go causes hotspots and deposits to form on an otherwise smooth flywheel and/or evenly worn clutch. Hence the shuddering sensation.
It does seem like based on those discussions, as long as the clutch is not slipping at full engagement, a clutch/flywheel replacement is not necessary although the hotspots/deposits are there to stay until a new clutch/flywheel assembly is installed.

Hope this helps and also open to more input from those who have experience with this.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread

Last edited by Law; 11-28-2014 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #17
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law
I get the shuddering from time to time but it is very inconsistent.

Did a search and it seems to be common amongst BMWs (though i don't remember experiencing this on my E46).

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463335
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739881
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=629950

The normality of the phenomenon is debatable but the general consensus is that uneven wear from excessive stop &amp; go causes hotspots and deposits to form on an otherwise smooth flywheel and/or evenly worn clutch. Hence the shuddering sensation.
It does seem like based on those discussions, as long as the clutch is not slipping at full engagement, a clutch/flywheel replacement is not necessary although the hotspots/deposits are there to stay until a new clutch/flywheel assembly is installed.

Hope this helps and also open to more input from those who have experience with this.
Thanks for the links, so far the flywheel deposits explanation seems to fit my situation the most. I DD the car through horrendous LA traffic so it makes sense.

It's pretty sporadic/minor at this point but I will continue to monitor.
      11-18-2019, 07:41 AM   #18
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

Sorry about the date, but do you guys experience vibration when decelerating at 4th or 6th gear, about 3000, 4000 RPM?
Appreciate 0