BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

07-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

New max performance tires

Hi
I'm in need of a new set of max performance tires for use on street and track. I currently have AD08's and they been good. I am considering the AD08 R's however I noticed the michelin policy sport cup 2's as a streetable track tire. Anyone have any comments as to how these tires compare?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
surlynkid
Major
Rep

Garage List
Break out the platinum card if you want to run MPSC tires. Also, not really that outstanding of a track tire. How many street miles and how many track miles per year?
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

What wheels are they going on? There are some great 18" options if you are buying them for 18" wheels...
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep

These are going on stock ZCP wheels - stock sizes. About 7k miles a year split 50/50 for street/track miles. My AD08's are about shot with about 7k miles and 6 track days.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
su_maverick
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M5 IS300

If you can afford it, why not go with any extra set of wheels for track specific tires? The issue is that there is no good 'all around' tire for both as the demands for each are so very different.

Daily driving is going to eat up any tire designed for limited mileage and max grip as the heat cycles are just so variable that you could turn them into a rock in no time.

Track driving for road tires will severely limit what you can do as they have very limited grip compared to an r-compound/slick.

Break out the cost of a decent set of road tires over 4-5 years at 7k per year and it wont be that much extra a year compared to what you are willing to spend and you would have the slicks for the track and enjoy it so much more.

Of course, this is just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

I wouldn't DD a set of MPSCs. Even if I could afford to run tires with such a low treadwear full-time (wasting great tires on casual driving in the process) and was willing to accept deal the noise and ride harshness, I wouldn't feel safe in the rain. Even Max Performance tires can be dicey in heavy rain, especially if you run wide tires.

From what I've read, the AD08 R and RE-11A are the front runners for DDable track tires, with the former offering better dry grip and the latter offering better wet grip and ride quality.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Toyo R888. I don't daily my GTR, but I'll drive one day a week around town with them. Then beat on them when I take it to the track.
They're noisy, and fall off on the second half of the session on a heavy car.

I mean if you HAVE to drive around on a race tire this is probably the one. But I'm with everyone else on getting a second set of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03///m3 View Post
These are going on stock ZCP wheels - stock sizes. About 7k miles a year split 50/50 for street/track miles. My AD08's are about shot with about 7k miles and 6 track days.
For splitting duties on stock ZCP wheels, you probably won't do better than AD08/R's. R-S3's are better tires, but I'm not sure if they're available in E9x M3's 19" sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
Toyo R888. I don't daily my GTR, but I'll drive one day a week around town with them. Then beat on them when I take it to the track.
They're noisy, and fall off on the second half of the session on a heavy car.

I mean if you HAVE to drive around on a race tire this is probably the one. But I'm with everyone else on getting a second set of wheels.
lulz, my last track day was in early May (taking the summer off in the brutal heat) and was too lazy to change the track tires, so been daily'ing (a couple of times a week) on NT01's. As you said, they're noisy (too), but feels great.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
For splitting duties on stock ZCP wheels, you probably won't do better than AD08/R's. R-S3's are better tires, but I'm not sure if they're available in E9x M3's 19" sizes.

lulz, my last track day was in early May (taking the summer off in the brutal heat) and was too lazy to change the track tires, so been daily'ing (a couple of times a week) on NT01's. As you said, they're noisy (too), but feels great.
You coming out of hibernation in Sept/Oct? There's a SD PCA event at Chuckwalla in late Oct.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_maverick View Post
If you can afford it, why not go with any extra set of wheels for track specific tires? The issue is that there is no good 'all around' tire for both as the demands for each are so very different.

Daily driving is going to eat up any tire designed for limited mileage and max grip as the heat cycles are just so variable that you could turn them into a rock in no time.

Track driving for road tires will severely limit what you can do as they have very limited grip compared to an r-compound/slick.

Break out the cost of a decent set of road tires over 4-5 years at 7k per year and it wont be that much extra a year compared to what you are willing to spend and you would have the slicks for the track and enjoy it so much more.

Of course, this is just my opinion.
This is good advice. Track time abuses tires with uneven wear, rubber pickup, etc. Then you end up dealing with wheel vibrations and excess tire noise on the street. It makes a ton of sense to have two sets of wheels/tires. The total tire cost is no different (you are just splitting your street and track miles on two different tires vs. one). The only additional cost is wheels which can be bought used and sold for a minimal loss if not damaged.

All that being said, I would definitely stick with AD08R's for a dual-use tire if you are running 19's. There are other options I would recommend in 18" sizes.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #11
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojanMan29 View Post
You coming out of hibernation in Sept/Oct? There's a SD PCA event at Chuckwalla in late Oct.
Sept/Oct, definitely. I'm going stir crazy right now.

But, I'm not sure about running with SD PCA again. Ran with them in Oct of last year, and that hot-as-hell May event this year and, on both events, I was the second car at the gate and the gate opened like 50 min's later. You should've seen the long line by the time the gate was opened. Although the gate is opened by the track staff, it's up to the organizer to make sure that said staff opens it on time. Most of the PCA event participants trailer their cars, wherein the cars are already prep'd or nearly-prep'd; whereas, people like me lose an hour of sleep just to get there earlier to take the track tires out of the car, change them, set the suspension settings, mount the cameras, etc, etc, etc. I was late to the drivers' meeting due to that delay at the gate and missed the first session in Oct. PCA events are fun due to running among cup cars & GT3's, but that situation is b.s.

Last edited by OC3; 07-30-2014 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #12
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:

Haha. I do that too. I nfact My track rotors, and pads are still on the car. It's just too much work to go street --->track--->street.

On the M3 I just leave it at full tilt except the wheels. Drive to the track, switch to slicks, switch back. Drive it home. Park it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #13
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:

But, I'm not sure about running with SD PCA again. Ran with them in Oct of last year, and that hot-as-hell May event this year and, on both events, I was the second car at the gate and the gate opened like 50 min's later. You should've seen the long line by the time the gate was opened. Although the gate is opened by the track staff, it's up to the organizer to make sure that said staff opens it on time. Most of the PCA event participants trailer their cars, wherein the cars are already prep'd or nearly-prep'd; whereas, people like me lose an hour of sleep just to get there earlier to take the track tires out of the car, change them, set the suspension settings, mount the cameras, etc, etc, etc. I was late to the drivers' meeting due to that delay at the gate and missed the first session in Oct. PCA events are fun due to running among cup cars & GT3's, but that situation is b.s.
How soon before the track goes hot do the gates open? With The Driver's Edge, the gates are open the night before for people who want to bring RVs/trailers in, and then the day of they open at 6 AM, then the first Instructor session and student driver meeting both happen at 7:45, and the first student session is around 8:15. So even if you're in the first student run group on the schedule, you can show up well after the gates open and still have time for basic prep and even breakfast before the driver's meeting.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
How soon before the track goes hot do the gates open? With The Driver's Edge, the gates are open the night before for people who want to bring RVs/trailers in, and then the day of they open at 6 AM, then the first Instructor session and student driver meeting both happen at 7:45, and the first student session is around 8:15. So even if you're in the first student run group on the schedule, you can show up well after the gates open and still have time for basic prep and even breakfast before the driver's meeting.
Usually/generally, there's a minimum of about an hour and a half. But, in those 2 events, it was like 45~50 min's.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakBch View Post
Haha. I do that too. I nfact My track rotors, and pads are still on the car. It's just too much work to go street --->track--->street.

On the M3 I just leave it at full tilt except the wheels. Drive to the track, switch to slicks, switch back. Drive it home. Park it.
For track pads, I run Endless ME20 which is very good on the tracks and very quiet on the streets, so I track/daily it. One less thing to swap on the morning of track events.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #16
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

For the OP, there are always 18" 9.5/10.5 wheels for sale here.

Quote:
Can you help a brother out and give us a link?
Yes I'm being lazy. Do you have to own a Porsche with PCA in Cali? I know Nevada doesn't care.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 07:16 PM   #17
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Ooo nice. Might have to attend if they'll allow our cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #18
surlynkid
Major
Rep

Garage List
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are amazingly more competent as track tires than people give credit. I am about to put those on the M3 for street and any wet track days.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #19
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

All the PCA events allow all other cars (BMWs, Vettes, etc) as OC3 has gone to several. You do not have to be a PCA member to attend and they will not charge you anything extra. The cost for the PCA events are like 20-25% cheaper than the BMW CCA events mainly because there are only instructors for the novice/student group.

The PCA events can be registered on the motor sport reg website below:

http://www.motorsportreg.com

They generally open up the registration about 1-2 months before the event date.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:32 PM   #20
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I can't take it anymore (my last event was early May with PCA GGR at BRP). I'm going to Thunderhill in early Sept as PCA GGR is going to be running the new 5-mile course. I'm really looking forward to getting back to BRP this fall and run on the new surface. I'll probably pick up some scrub R6s and/or slicks and try those out.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 11:19 PM   #21
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange M3, X5M, Blk 135

R-S3 are amazing dual purpose tires if you can't afford a dedicated set or if you are half-caged like me (no room for many full set of spares). I've always wonder how NT05 compare to R-S3 on track in terms of grip and longevity.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 11:43 PM   #22
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can't take it anymore (my last event was early May with PCA GGR at BRP). I'm going to Thunderhill in early Sept as PCA GGR is going to be running the new 5-mile course. I'm really looking forward to getting back to BRP this fall and run on the new surface. I'll probably pick up some scrub R6s and/or slicks and try those out.
lulz, know the feeling
Appreciate 0