BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

Mporium BMW

09-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
delirium330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 3 Pedals

Space Grey M3 Garage Build Pictures

I finally got around to taking a few pictures of the new (to me) spacegrau M3 in its new cave. It took me about 8 months to finally complete the garage. Thought I would post a few details of the build out.

1. If you are a true BMW enthusiast you should recognize the wall decal.

2. Floor: The floor is a 3 layer U.V Resistant Urethane. The first step was to machine diamond-etch the entire surface then fill and seal random cracks here and there. Then cut in border lines with a hand grinder so epoxy wouldn’t bleed. Followed that by a primer first layer, then primary urethane layer with colored chips put down to refusal (dumped over 100 pounds of chips until the urethane couldn't stick to any more chips, i.e. "to refusal" then let it dry and scraped off the chips that didn't stick. Then finally put down a clear coat top for a slick and reflective gloss look (and extra UV protection). This floor will won’t degrade for ~20 years or get hot tire peel up like your typical big box store DIY kits.

3. Walls: First we had to remove EIGHT built in cabinets that the previous homeowner crafted himself. We had drywall and fire tape from when we bought the house so we had someone come and do the drywall preparation. We then primed and sprayed the entire thing white, and then came back with the gray lower border spray. Last step was to use a laser level to cut in the black stripe. We actually were able to put down the stripe in about an hour with two people, the laser level, and taping off the edges. Lastly, I also put in a rubber base molding on the lower wall edges.

4. Lights: Went with 3 strips of T5 strip lights that I had to custom order because I couldn’t find them in any local stores. The T5 are extremely bright (versus standard T8) which are nice to have for DIY repairs. I put in a switch timer as well so I can turn them on when getting ready to leave and close the garage door as I’m driving out without having to jump out and turn them off.

5. Cabinets: The cabinets are all diamond plate style in black steel. The upper cabinets all have hydraulic struts. The lower cabinets have a maple butcher’s block on top. Also put in a under mount paper towel holder and picked up a stainless steel adjustable stool.

6. Accessories: I put in an old sound bar that wasn’t being used and ran the source cable through the wall into a wall jack for a direct line, but also have a Bluetooth adapter plugged in for music from a phone. I also put in mini-fridge on a rolling stainless steel cart, a wall mounted bottle opener with cap catch can and a mini-shelf to set a beer or phone for music. Lastly, I put up an atomic clock and a “M Production” poster near the door which also got a stainless steel kick plate.

7. The Car: 2010 E92 Space Gray, 3 Pedals, Black Leather on Carbon Leather Trim. Mods include: Akrapovic Slip-On Titanium Exhaust, 19" BMW 220 Wheels in Jet Black on Pilot Super Sports, black kidney grills, black side gills, black M3 badge, upgraded LUX H8-160 angel eyes, 70% tint and V1 Hardwire.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #2
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium330 View Post
I finally got around to taking a few pictures of the new (to me) spacegrau M3 in its new cave. It took me about 8 months to finally complete the garage. Thought I would post a few details of the build out.

1. If you are a true BMW enthusiast you should recognize the wall decal.

2. Floor: The floor is a 3 layer U.V Resistant Urethane. The first step was to machine diamond-etch the entire surface then fill and seal random cracks here and there. Then cut in border lines with a hand grinder so epoxy wouldn’t bleed. Followed that by a primer first layer, then primary urethane layer with colored chips put down to refusal (dumped over 100 pounds of chips until the urethane couldn't stick to any more chips, i.e. "to refusal" then let it dry and scraped off the chips that didn't stick. Then finally put down a clear coat top for a slick and reflective gloss look (and extra UV protection). This floor will won’t degrade for ~20 years or get hot tire peel up like your typical big box store DIY kits.

3. Walls: First we had to remove EIGHT built in cabinets that the previous homeowner crafted himself. We had drywall and fire tape from when we bought the house so we had someone come and do the drywall preparation. We then primed and sprayed the entire thing white, and then came back with the gray lower border spray. Last step was to use a laser level to cut in the black stripe. We actually were able to put down the stripe in about an hour with two people, the laser level, and taping off the edges. Lastly, I also put in a rubber base molding on the lower wall edges.

4. Lights: Went with 3 strips of T5 strip lights that I had to custom order because I couldn’t find them in any local stores. The T5 are extremely bright (versus standard T8) which are nice to have for DIY repairs. I put in a switch timer as well so I can turn them on when getting ready to leave and close the garage door as I’m driving out without having to jump out and turn them off.

5. Cabinets: The cabinets are all diamond plate style in black steel. The upper cabinets all have hydraulic struts. The lower cabinets have a maple butcher’s block on top. Also put in a under mount paper towel holder and picked up a stainless steel adjustable stool.

6. Accessories: I put in an old sound bar that wasn’t being used and ran the source cable through the wall into a wall jack for a direct line, but also have a Bluetooth adapter plugged in for music from a phone. I also put in mini-fridge on a rolling stainless steel cart, a wall mounted bottle opener with cap catch can and a mini-shelf to set a beer or phone for music. Lastly, I put up an atomic clock and a “M Production” poster near the door which also got a stainless steel kick plate.

7. The Car: 2010 E92 Space Gray, 3 Pedals, Black Leather on Carbon Leather Trim. Mods include: Akrapovic Slip-On Titanium Exhaust, 19" BMW 220 Wheels in Jet Black on Pilot Super Sports, black kidney grills, black side gills, black M3 badge, upgraded LUX H8-160 angel eyes, 70% tint and V1 Hardwire.

Love it! Good Job! You need a hydraulic lift in there now!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #3
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Great job, but I don't see the "No girls allowed" sign!!!!

Last edited by M3Bimmer77; 09-17-2015 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
Emm Tree
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bimmer77 View Post
Great job, but I don't see the "No girls aloud" sign!!!!
Not sure if jk.

OP - I see LCI tails in your future. +1 suggestion for the Euros.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:32 AM   #5
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Awesome! How much would a project like this cost?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

That's amazing. I plan on doing something identical in the future, in Sparkling Graphite of course. The stripes would be in M colors.

I could also do this in a future man cave, where the furniture would be as close to Bamboo Beige as possible
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #7
IIAp3x
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
That is sexist!! Naked girls are aloud!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIAp3x View Post
That is sexist!! Naked girls are aloud!
They tend to only get loud when asked to ride in my trunk
      09-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #9
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
They tend to only get loud when asked to ride in my trunk
So funny!!!! I guess autocorrection. " No girls Allowed!!!
I prefer "Bikini girls allowed"
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Great space.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #11
digitalpersona
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Blk/Blk

impeccable job! How about posting up a DIY on the floor work?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #12
delirium330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalpersona View Post
impeccable job! How about posting up a DIY on the floor work?
Oh man, where to begin... let me be the first to say that properly tackling a garage floor is a huge undertaking. While I won't post a formal DIY, I'll offer up a few tips.

1. It is much easier to do a new floor versus an existing floor because surface preparation is EVERYTHING. Anybody can lay down some epoxy in a day, but 2 years later when it start peeling from hot tires it will be because the floor wasn't prepped properly.

2. You need to etch the surface, sort of like scoring it with sandpaper. You can do that with acid or a diamond grinder. I'll admit I got professional help here. My floor had some hardening agent applied by the previous owner so I couldn't acid etch. You can rent a diamond grinder, but I wouldn't advise it. Big, bulky, expensive and grinding it flat and even across the whole garage isn't done easily. It also creates a HUGE amount of dust. You can fashion your own dust vacuum, but the pro I had help me arrived with a special dust vacuum that was 6 feet tall and ran off a gas engine.

3. Invest in a professional product. I'd recommend Legacy Industrial but there are a few other consumer friendly outlets of industrial strength products out there. http://www.legacyindustrial.net/prod...-coating-kits/

4. Depending on square footage, you need to budget some significant hours if you decide to DIY. For a 3 car garage like mine, I'd estimate solo labor hours with trips to the store for supplies, research and product preparation, etching, etc. is around 40 hours. I would also get a second helper when you are ready to lay down the coats.

5. Bottom line, if you have $1500-$2500 to spend on a pro, do it. DIY is not for the feint of heart. By the time you add in cost of good materials, supplies (you will need to buy buckets, applicators, spike shoe attachments, squeegees, etc.), labor, disposal time, research time you'll find the money spent on a pro is probably worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #13
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

car and garage look great. and in the best color, too!

all this "three pedal" and recognizing a 2002 turbo enthusiast talk and no carbon roof?
      09-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #14
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Dat mini fridge, doe. I need to sell my snapple 3/4 fridge and switch to something smaller.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #15
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
Dat mini fridge, doe. I need to sell my snapple 3/4 fridge and switch to something smaller.
But your Snapple 3/4 fits those Snapple drinks so well!
      09-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #16
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
That's amazing. I plan on doing something identical in the future, in Sparkling Graphite of course. The stripes would be in M colors.

I could also do this in a future man cave, where the furniture would be as close to Bamboo Beige as possible
Blood stains show on Bamboo Beige tho
      09-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #17
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Fridge on stilts and wheels with beer in it seems like the greater tragedy waiting to happen.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #18
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
car and garage look great. and in the best color, too!

all this "three pedal" and recognizing a 2002 turbo enthusiast talk and no carbon roof?
Yeah, I would have expected a slicktop
      09-17-2015, 02:10 PM   #19
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
But your Snapple 3/4 fits those Snapple drinks so well!
Fits all my beer and energy drinks, too

And....female companions love it. They always compliment how spacious it is inside...

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #20
delirium330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Fridge on stilts and wheels with beer in it seems like the greater tragedy waiting to happen.
Haha, its actually really sturdy. But its on wheels for easy relocation. I don't like to have to reach to far for a cold beverage.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #21
delirium330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I would have expected a slicktop
It was on the list, trust me!!! I took my 7 months just to find this one and the CF roof was first on the "preferred" list. Just finding a well maintained (documented) space grey in a 6MT will all black interior in a E92 was hard enough... and I flew to pick it up and a 12 hour drive home.

Now you're making me want to go hunting again...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #22
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium330 View Post
Haha, its actually really sturdy. But its on wheels for easy relocation. I don't like to have to reach to far for a cold beverage.
Hahahah I denno man....That's kinda sketch - but then again, I'm a pussy even when my car is on jack stands.

Appreciate 0