BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

06-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
New guy introduction

Hi everyone--I thought I would use my first post to introduce myself to the community here. About a month ago I purchased a 2011 M3 coupe. The purchase was on a little bit of a whim, but I have no regrets. I couldn't pass up such a beautiful performance machine that practically fell into my lap with almost everything I would want in such a car: competition package+heated seats+BT. I like base model cars with only a handful of options and it seems rare these days to find anything that isn't an economy car to be equipped in such a manner. The car also has the optional carbon fiber trim and iPod connector, neither of which I likely would have opted for, but neither is really a big deal either.

So this car represents my first BMW and therefore, my first M car. However, I've been a lifelong car nerd who started life (life began at 17 when I got my license!) with a hand-me-down Peugeot wagon, followed by 7-8 VWs. I was very big into VWs for a while and still own my '94 Corrado VR6 that I got in '00. As I matured in both age and automotive interest, I moved on from VWs. Although the first brand new car I got, which was leased, was a GTI, my first financed car was a Crossfire. I'm one of the few who really liked that car. After 3 years, I moved to a 2012 Mustang GT, which was a great car. But after 3.5 years, I wanted something nicer. I drove a 997 carrera and carrera S. After obsessing over the 911 since I was in 3rd grade, I was disappointed by how refined the newer cars are---they have no edge. Around this time, I rented a C63 for a week from Hertz. Wow--that car had a serious edge, almost too much. But I also didn't expect much from it, so I was blown away by how much fun I had blasting through the mountains around Napa Valley. I still love that car.

And then we come to the BMW. Personally, I always thought that although BMWs generally drove very nicely, they were overpriced and never saw myself in one. Having said that, I made sure I did whatever version of the Ultimate Drive BMW was offering over the last 15 or so years. Even this year, I'm doing their version of the Ultimate Drive where I am signed up for the 650. In all this time, I was never able to drive an M car--even during the Ultimate Drive. I was either too young, they were broken when I was old enough, or they stopped offering them. The closest I came to the spirit of an M car was a manual transmission Z4 3.0si coupe I drove---I freaking LOVE the M coupes, FYI. Last year I took out the i3, which I was very impressed with. But none of my experiences were in actual M cars. So then I drove what became my e92. Such a wonderful car. It has more edge than a carrera but much less of an edge than the C63. I mean, the m3 actually has a suspension. And unlike say, the VWs I've owned, BMW has this uncanny ability to build in some compliance to their suspension without excessive body roll.

I've been looking for a good M3 forum for the last few weeks and like the depth and topics that are discussed around here, so here I am!

My car looks like pretty much every other e92 M3 on the internet forums:

Appreciate 1
      06-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
Richsocal12
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Alpine Weiss - Slicktop

congrats! enjoy her!
      06-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Congrats man...more pics please
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #4
ellekz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

Nice story and welcome! Don't get caught by the mod fever.. or do
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP, 6MT

Congrats and welcome... Let's talk about your first mod!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 10:36 AM   #6
Tech3250
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 / 2011 E92 335i

Nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Thank you guys, I appreciate the warm welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3AG View Post
Congrats and welcome... Let's talk about your first mod!
Lets call my first set of mods: Project Bring the Noise.

The M3 has the same problem my previous mustang had: it was way too quiet! A set of GT500 mufflers gave me a perfect level of noise, but I could drive it all day long and never got tired of it.

So I would like to do something similar with the M3. I'd love to hear a bit more intake noise if possible and a bit more rumble from the exhaust at idle and acceleration. Since this car is a semi-daily driver (I work from home), it needs to be quiet enough to drive normally when I'm not getting on it, with limited drone. I've heard a couple of sound clips of the Akro slip on and they seem a little too quiet, especially for the price. I will say that I'm not looking for a full exhaust at this time, just a nice cat/axle back setup. Ultimately, I just want the car to make a sound that should be consistent with a V8 being under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 12:41 PM   #8
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Welcome and congrats!

Look into the OEM exhaust mod as I think it'll be the perfect amount of noise and the best bang for buck mod you can do on this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
digitalpersona
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Blk/Blk

Welcome to the forum. And nice intro.
In many ways your car is already perfect the way it is. But if you do decide to mod, you're in the right place to gather valuable intel for an informed decision. Enjoy your new M
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
B8bydesign
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Welcome, great looking e92!
Sold: '11.5 e92 M3 | DCT | Mineral White/Novillo | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | M Performance | ACM | BPM | iND | Thule | LUX | Macht Schnell | Broadway Static | Rogue Engineering | BBS | Challenge | Metak
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post

how do we even know this is your car? It could be any one of those 6 million AW E92 ZCPs out there.
      06-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #12
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

There's no surprise you've chosen this over other cars, esp after driving various cars. I like to keep mine bone stock/oem as it just looks classy!

I'd suggest MPE but it may not be loud enough for you since you came from Mustang GT. MPE should have came with the competition pkg and it's a well balanced sporty n exotic sound that is like symphony to my ears.
Appreciate 1
UPSROD945.50
      06-20-2015, 06:12 PM   #13
nvlarchitect
Private
Rep
Drives: B8 S4 STG II+ / '83 911 SC

Nice specs! Nice buy!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #14
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
MPE should have came with the competition pkg and it's a well balanced sporty n exotic sound that is like symphony to my ears.
MPE meaning m performance exhaust? Nothing i've read for the 2011 cars suggests this is true. The zcp is a chassis package primarily (wheels and suspension tweaks). I believe only the lime rock edition comes with an upgraded exhaust. If you have data suggesting otherwise, please post it up as i'm always willing to learn.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #15
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Welcome to the club and group!
What Agent is trying to say is that the MPE should have came from the factory that way, included in the comp package, instead of being something only bought from an accessory catalog.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 12:15 AM   #16
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Quote:

Welcome! So glad you finally arrived!
I hate to disagree with your statement above...but I don't think your car looks anything like anyone else's...it's yours...see it as such...unique... a true beauty!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 08:35 AM   #17
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Welcome to the club and group!
What Agent is trying to say is that the MPE should have came from the factory that way,
I know. And what I'm saying is that I've not read anything that says the ZCP package comes with an exhaust that's any different than a regular m3. More specifically, nothing in the BMW press release I read for the 2011 cars mentioned anything about a different (MPE) exhaust. Again, point me to a source that unequivocally states that the MPE exhaust comes with the ZCP and I'll change my tune. As you can see here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350971, no mention of a different/MPE exhaust is made. I recall reading somewhere that the lime rock edition came with a more aggressive sounding exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
Welcome! So glad you finally arrived!
I hate to disagree with your statement above...but I don't think your car looks anything like anyone else's...it's yours...see it as such...unique... a true beauty!
The owner may be unique, but the car isn't all that different--in fact, I the same car driving down the road in the opposite direction yesterday.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #18
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
I know. And what I'm saying is that I've not read anything that says the ZCP package comes with an exhaust that's any different than a regular m3. More specifically, nothing in the BMW press release I read for the 2011 cars mentioned anything about a different (MPE) exhaust. Again, point me to a source that unequivocally states that the MPE exhaust comes with the ZCP and I'll change my tune. As you can see here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350971, no mention of a different/MPE exhaust is made. I recall reading somewhere that the lime rock edition came with a more aggressive sounding exhaust.
lol
I swear my accent is too thick and getting in the way here. Sorry.
What we are trying to say is that it should have as in "I wish it did" and not "it should have and you better find out why it didn't, cause you got ripped off".

The comp package comes with the SAME exhaust as all of the other M3's with the exception of the Lime Rock edition which DOES come with the MPE.

Hopefully that clears it up
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #19
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats, enjoy in good health
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #20
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

nice car, welcome to the club.
      06-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #21
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

Quote:
lol
What we are trying to say is that it should have as in "I wish it did" and not "it should have and you better find out why it didn't, cause you got ripped off".

The comp package comes with the SAME exhaust as all of the other M3's with the exception of the Lime Rock edition which DOES come with the MPE.

Thank you!! 😆

OP:
Now take her to the back roads and unleashed its driving characteristics and behavior! Get to know her, you'll fall in love!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #22
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
lol

Ok, much more clear, thank you. I'll add to your post in saying that all M3s should have come with the MPE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
Now take her to the back roads and unleashed its driving characteristics and behavior! Get to know her, you'll fall in love!!!
I've encountered a few curvy roads in my travels recently and I love how well the car handles and how little body roll there is (at least compared to what I'm used to).

The next challenge: It's going back to the dealer on Thursday to have the front brakes fixed---whoever put them on, put them on backwards. I don't know who I'm more annoyed at, the dealer for doing it wrong or me for not realizing it! In fact, someone else had to point it out. Oh well, the car is slowly getting there.
Appreciate 0