BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-05-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Anyone use shift lights?

Anybody on here use shift lights? It might be ricer but I would like it just for track days so I don't have to keep on guessing all the damn time.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Yes 100% of the time
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #3
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
Yes 100% of the time
oh sorry I meant that I have a 6MT car and would put in an aftermarket one.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

On the track it really doesn't take long to learn to gauge your RPM by ear -- you also develop reference points on track that will tell you when to shift when you become consistent. But frankly it's not hard to glance down and take a look at the needle anyway, which incidentally also becomes a useful tool for gauging the relative effectiveness of different lines through corners if you check at a consistent point at track-out. To be honest, the more important skill to develop is learning when you can downshift in braking zones without risking an over-rev, but shift lights won't directly help you with that.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

M performance Steering wheel (electronic) is great for shift lights (similar to Ferrari steering wheels) plus has a bunch of other features that are cool such as both oil/coolant temp, g-forces, and lap timer. I personally find shift lights handy, less for driving on the track but more on the street.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #6
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
On the track it really doesn't take long to learn to gauge your RPM by ear -- you also develop reference points on track that will tell you when to shift when you become consistent. But frankly it's not hard to glance down and take a look at the needle anyway, which incidentally also becomes a useful tool for gauging the relative effectiveness of different lines through corners if you check at a consistent point at track-out. To be honest, the more important skill to develop is learning when you can downshift in braking zones without risking an over-rev, but shift lights won't directly help you with that.
Thanks for the reply.

This is currently what I do and looking at my Solo DL data, I shift at a range of 7800-8100 rpms by ear unless its a straight away.

For me, I would just like a visible reference in my line of sight so that I wouldn't have to look down at all, unless on a very hot day just managing oil temps. If professionals can use it, I'm pretty sure it would be beneficial to myself, an amateur. There are people out there building their own using Arduino but knowing me, if I did that, I would brick the car somehow before it even got it connected to the car.

The way I downshift is late in the braking zone, well into my braking. I notice lot of other in-car videos where downshifts happen immediately upon braking.

Would be cool if I could make a custom one which I can turn off and on for track days:

Or one you can just slap on/off for track days:

Lastly, my heel-toe is perfect.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #7
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
M performance Steering wheel (electronic) is great for shift lights (similar to Ferrari steering wheels) plus has a bunch of other features that are cool such as both oil/coolant temp, g-forces, and lap timer. I personally find shift lights handy, less for driving on the track but more on the street.
These are great, but are they still making them? Plus $1k on a steering wheel is a little on the ridiculous side for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 12:19 AM   #8
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Not sure if still making them and price is a little ridiculous...would expect some used ones to hit the market as the E90 transitions to different ownership base. I personally love mine and love the feel of alcantera, the whole thing just "works" with the car. Know a few other members who added this mod and love theirs as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal TW View Post
These are great, but are they still making them? Plus $1k on a steering wheel is a little on the ridiculous side for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #9
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Not sure if still making them and price is a little ridiculous...would expect some used ones to hit the market as the E90 transitions to different ownership base. I personally love mine and love the feel of alcantera, the whole thing just "works" with the car. Know a few other members who added this mod and love theirs as well.
I have it as well. It isn't that expensive as you can sell your current one to the 335 crowd

It's pretty handy to use the shift lights. I have mine set at 8200
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 03:20 PM   #10
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3

Quote:
I'll have to look into that but alcantara plus someone else's hand. Does it still feel good?
      04-07-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Anybody on here use shift lights? It might be ricer but I would like it just for track days so I don't have to keep on guessing all the damn time.
I have them on my DCT but never use them. 0%. They're kind of a novelty i guess, looks cool but I find that its distracting to me. Had them on an old RX-7, that would flash a singular light about a few hundred rpm shy of redline. I liked that because as soon as it went on, i would shift immediately, right at redline. The current ones as you know have a serial light system that ramps up as you get closer to redline. It makes me shift too early when i see it.. Totally F's up my cadence on the track. Sure wouldn't spend a grand on them. I agree that aural feedback from the engine note, plus some on-track visual cues, is what helps me nail the shifts.

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #12
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
I have them on my DCT but never use them. 0%. They're kind of a novelty i guess, looks cool but I find that its distracting to me. Had them on an old RX-7, that would flash a singular light about a few hundred rpm shy of redline. I liked that because as soon as it went on, i would shift immediately, right at redline. The current ones as you know have a serial light system that ramps up as you get closer to redline. It makes me shift too early when i see it.. Totally F's up my cadence on the track. Sure wouldn't spend a grand on them. I agree that aural feedback from the engine note, plus some on-track visual cues, is what helps me nail the shifts.
I might just have to get a smaller light that lights up and mess around with the settings to see how many rpms my reaction time is - might be an easier option to just add/remove for track days. German Ricer style.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 06:44 AM   #13
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
The m performance wheel lights up progressively. When you reach a predetermined rpm, the entire panel flashes.

It is very obvious
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #14
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

First time I had the pleasure of using shift lights through the HUD last weekend at the track and it was very helpful to me. In my previuos car I always wished I had them, but never installed it, I am glad it comes with the car now
Appreciate 0