BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
2013M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 Jerez Black, 13 x5

Garage List
BMW connected

help.. i've tried searching but can't seem to find the right answer.

I have 2013 E93. I downloaded the BMW connected app (blue one). The first time I was able to see all the icons (apps) under BMW apps. Now they are no longer visible. It keeps asking me to 'start the app' from phone. the app is ON.... I can still play music from the phone via the USB function.

Is there some upgrade I need? Also, the app does not allow me to change temperature on the car remotely. the button is not available on the app. the unlock and lock buttons are available.

help.. thanks..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
hpapad01
BMW CCA member and you should be too!
Rep
Drives: DYII E93 M3,540 M-Sport,911C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013M3 View Post
help.. i've tried searching but can't seem to find the right answer.

I have 2013 E93. I downloaded the BMW connected app (blue one). The first time I was able to see all the icons (apps) under BMW apps. Now they are no longer visible. It keeps asking me to 'start the app' from phone. the app is ON.... I can still play music from the phone via the USB function.

Is there some upgrade I need? Also, the app does not allow me to change temperature on the car remotely. the button is not available on the app. the unlock and lock buttons are available.

help.. thanks..
Try removing and reinstalling the app.
      08-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #3
2013M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapad01 View Post
Try removing and reinstalling the app.
I did but doesn't seem to help the situation.

One thing I've been reading up on is this: do I need convenience plan to be able to run the apps? I have the 'assist' part of it due to CPO but I don't didn't pay for convenience plan part.

Just on my way back from work. when I plugged the phone via usb, it the apps all show up, but whenever I try to use one of the apps, the list of ions from the apps disappear. I get the message that says, "switching to "BMW apps ready" apps requires a one time confirmation on the mobile device.... " when I click OK, the next screen is 'switching to xxxx did not succeed. you can get not yet installed apps in the app store....

I have the apps (pandora, spotify, etc already on my iphone).

The other thing I was thinking is if my 2013 car is too 'old'. maybe it wasn't meant for the older cars, just the newer 2014 + cars..

anyone with pre 2013 cars get the apps to work?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:56 AM   #4
jester17
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yeah... you'll need a subscription for the full access; I believe it's about $149 a year.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 08:50 AM   #5
hpapad01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013M3 View Post
I did but doesn't seem to help the situation.

One thing I've been reading up on is this: do I need convenience plan to be able to run the apps? I have the 'assist' part of it due to CPO but I don't didn't pay for convenience plan part.

Just on my way back from work. when I plugged the phone via usb, it the apps all show up, but whenever I try to use one of the apps, the list of ions from the apps disappear. I get the message that says, "switching to "BMW apps ready" apps requires a one time confirmation on the mobile device.... " when I click OK, the next screen is 'switching to xxxx did not succeed. you can get not yet installed apps in the app store....

I have the apps (pandora, spotify, etc already on my iphone).

The other thing I was thinking is if my 2013 car is too 'old'. maybe it wasn't meant for the older cars, just the newer 2014 + cars..

anyone with pre 2013 cars get the apps to work?
It looks like you need a 2014 or newer BMW with Navigation system and an active ConnectedDrive subscription in order to add the BMW vehicle and be able to perform remote services. According to the App, You may still be able to retrieve a destination from the BMW Connected app but only by connecting your phone via USB cable.
      08-29-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester17 View Post
Yeah... you'll need a subscription for the full access; I believe it's about $149 a year.
No there is no subscription needed for apps.

OP, this is the app you need:

This will let you use BMW Apps, but you'll need a newer car for anything else!
      08-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
hpapad01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post

The issue with this version is that you must use a USB Cable or the snap-in adapter in order to communicate with the vehicle.

I think the OP is trying to use the new ConnectedDrive app wireless which now requires a 2014 or newer and the ConnectedDrive subscription.
      08-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #8
2013M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapad01 View Post
The issue with this version is that you must use a USB Cable or the snap-in adapter in order to communicate with the vehicle.

I think the OP is trying to use the new ConnectedDrive app wireless which now requires a 2014 or newer and the ConnectedDrive subscription.
thanks guys for the replies. I actually am using the USB to connect. it intermittently works. it feels like either the app (BMW connected) is not stable or something with the electronics on the car. i'll connect the phone and all the apps show up, then I use an app (say spotify), it tells me the app has to be opened and so it opens the app on the phone. but of course in order to do that the bmw connected app has to be replaced by the app (in this case spofity). but the bmw connected app is supposed to be running all the time in order for it to work. does iphone 6+ allow several apps to be 'running' at once? so they didn't think thru this??
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP, 6MT

I am having the same issue. I think it's the iOS 9.3 causing the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester17 View Post

[img]http://www.bmw.com/_common/shared/ow...-connected.jpg[/img]

Correct. This is called BMW Connected Classic -- and it's pretty useless. The BMW Assist app though has the ability to send locations from Google Maps to your car, but you need a BMW Assist subscription -- Concierge plan not required, just regular. Other than that, the only somewhat cool apps I found for BMW Apps on the E series models are Pandora (and 1-2 other music streaming apps I believe), M Laptimer for the track rats, and Glympse. That last one is nice so you don't have to keep saying to people from the road, "Hit traffic, will be a few minutes late" or whatever, or you can send it to people you're picking up so they'll know exactly when you'll arrive and can theoretically be ready.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0