BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
imkrister
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe, Comp Pckg

"Replace Brake Pads" Indicator Question

Hello Friends,

So my 11.5 E92 just ticked over 20K on the odometer and the computer told me that the pads are due for replacement. My question is, how long can I use the pads without replacing them? I am judicious about maintenance and am not trying to neglect my baby, but I need to use the car for a 200 mile (round trip, all highways) trip this weekend, and don't have time to swap pads before then. Am I in danger of doing any damage? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

Look at your pad thickness, the computer does an estimate of brake life only.
The backing plates on your pads are roughly 5-6 mm thick. The actual pads are stepped in slightly from this. If they are greater than 3 mm you are good to go ( as long as you are not tracking your car). There is a sensor that will give you a red error code at roughly 2.5 mm pad thickness.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Yeah, just do a visual check on how much meat you have left. Sensor could have prematurely broken too, had that happen to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

A visual check is the way to go, but unless you already hear the brakes squealing, you can definitely go another 2000 highway miles.

Funny-not-funny story about those stupid wear sensors. My fronts are disconnected since I have a StopTech BBK, and I eventually had the rear disconnected as well because I check visually anyway and didn't feel the need to keep paying for wear sensors that can't always be reused even if they're intact at pad swap time since they can be damaged upon removal. Anyhow, since the brake pad warning can also be triggered by time and mileage rather than just the sensor itself, one day I got the warning that brake pads would need replacement "soon". My pads were actually fine, so I followed the CBS reset procedure to clear the warning. Before even starting my car again, the warning cleared only to be replaced with the "Replace brake pads now, service overdue" or whatever the text was, which I wasn't able to clear for some reason. So I took it into the dealer and they hooked it up to their computer, which said that I was 243,000 miles overdue for brake pads -- yes, really. Obviously it was a software glitch, so they updated the software and it went away, but even though I was in the warranty period, they charged me because I had modified the wear sensor setup, was using aftermarket pads, and was resetting the CBS on my own. Oh well.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter
Look at your pad thickness, the computer does an estimate of brake life only.
The backing plates on your pads are roughly 5-6 mm thick. The actual pads are stepped in slightly from this. If they are greater than 3 mm you are good to go ( as long as you are not tracking your car). There is a sensor that will give you a red error code at roughly 2.5 mm pad thickness.
This is spot on.
      06-25-2015, 05:46 PM   #6
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
A visual check is the way to go, but unless you already hear the brakes squealing, you can definitely go another 2000 highway miles.

Funny-not-funny story about those stupid wear sensors. My fronts are disconnected since I have a StopTech BBK, and I eventually had the rear disconnected as well because I check visually anyway and didn't feel the need to keep paying for wear sensors that can't always be reused even if they're intact at pad swap time since they can be damaged upon removal. Anyhow, since the brake pad warning can also be triggered by time and mileage rather than just the sensor itself, one day I got the warning that brake pads would need replacement "soon". My pads were actually fine, so I followed the CBS reset procedure to clear the warning. Before even starting my car again, the warning cleared only to be replaced with the "Replace brake pads now, service overdue" or whatever the text was, which I wasn't able to clear for some reason. So I took it into the dealer and they hooked it up to their computer, which said that I was 243,000 miles overdue for brake pads -- yes, really. Obviously it was a software glitch, so they updated the software and it went away, but even though I was in the warranty period, they charged me because I had modified the wear sensor setup, was using aftermarket pads, and was resetting the CBS on my own. Oh well.
Thanks for the heads-up ! I wont remove the brake pad sensor then. It doesn't cost much to change as well
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post

Thanks for the heads-up ! I wont remove the brake pad sensor then. It doesn't cost much to change as well
It does when you go through rear pads as quickly as I do. I also don't know that removing the sensor is what caused it, and even if it was, I had to remove the front sensors for the BBK.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #8
imkrister
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the input. With a visual inspection I believe there may have been some sort of sensor failure (the pads appear to have a lot of meat left on them). I will upload a picture later and you guys can tell me what you think (just by eyeballing it).
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #9
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan

that's bs. they shouldnt charge for that.
      07-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #10
imkrister
Private
United_States
Rep

Attached are the photos from both the front and back pads (only one side of the car obviously)

To me it looks like there is a lot of meat left on the pads. What do you guys think? (from what you can gather from crappy cell phone photos)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #11
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

that looks like a lot of pad...5mm+?

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 06:33 PM   #12
imkrister
Private
United_States
Rep

That was my thinking. I will likely take it to an indy shop to get the pad thickness looked atn and go from there (pad replacement as needed or sensor replacement if thats the issue)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #13
imkrister
Private
United_States
Rep

That was my thinking. I will likely take it to an indy shop to get the pad thickness looked atn and go from there (pad replacement as needed or sensor replacement if thats the issue)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 08:00 PM   #14
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

That's a ton of pad.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #15
imkrister
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
That's a ton of pad.
My thoughts exactly. Is pad wear sensor failure common? Something that will be expensive to replace?

I will be in a dealership shortly for a windshield replacement and may as well have the sensors replaced (if that is in fact the issue). Any input on roughly what this should run? I feel comfortable saying the pads are ok despite tripping the "replace pads" sensors.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #16
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkrister View Post
My thoughts exactly. Is pad wear sensor failure common? Something that will be expensive to replace?

I will be in a dealership shortly for a windshield replacement and may as well have the sensors replaced (if that is in fact the issue). Any input on roughly what this should run? I feel comfortable saying the pads are ok despite tripping the "replace pads" sensors.
I think sensors run ~ $20 a piece. They're finicky. IIRC after they're replaced there's some fiddling with the CBS required. I can definitely see the dealer bending you over for the windshield replacement, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 08:08 AM   #17
imkrister
Private
United_States
Rep

UPDATE:

The car was at the dealership to replace the windshield ($1050 for OEM Glass installed at the dealership just FYI) under my insurance plan. I had them take a look at the brakes and they originally indicated that the computer was mistakenly reset to the wrong info when I was last in for service. But when the "replace pads" message came back up as they were shuttling it out of the work bay they took a closer look and found that one of the pad wear sensors was worn out/frayed/broken. They replaced it real quick and all was back to normal. No charge for the diagnosis and sensor replacement (it pays to be nice to your SA, plus I got lucky and got a top 100 guy per the BMW service advisor rankings, albeit those are his words). So long story short, new windshield and new pad sensor, and all is well. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0