BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

03-04-2015, 11:15 PM   #45
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Nice Congrats! Stingray or Z06?
stingray. Could have maybe went for the Z, but its little to much of a car for me to be daily driving. specially considering i drive my cars in very cold climate at times when roads are not a complete mess (snow).

got a white 2LT with Z51 package 7 speed manual coming.
Nice man, my friend has a white one with red interior, also manual but no Z51, car look awsome, and with Corsa valve-back, sound equally awsome! Also very fast out of the box! But I think my friend did'nt like his defete against my VT1, he's installing a centri blower kit+headers and methanol as we speak, he'll be making 750-800hp with 10-12psi! lol These engines are beasts!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:19 PM   #46
///M Kidding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

[QUOTE=krzykk;17458293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Definitely on the lady for dinner...QUOTE]

GT-R is not for you. It would be if your answer sounded like "taking lady to the track". Seriously. Jag F-R AWD is a creature of comfort. GT-R is a creature of pure performance: "anyone, anywhere, anytime"...
LOL, agreed!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #47
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Nice man, my friend has a white one with red interior, also manual but no Z51, car look awsome, and with Corsa valve-back, sound equally awsome! Also very fast out of the box! But I think my friend did'nt like his defete against my VT1, he's installing a centri blower kit+headers and methanol as we speak, he'll be making 750-800hp with 10-12psi! lol These engines are beasts!!
ya mine is white on black also.

have you guys raced again ?

edit: oh never mind , its not installed yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 11:38 PM   #48
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio
Quote:
ya mine is white on black also.

have you guys raced again ?
We raced plenty of times since he got his car, stock and with green filter+Corsa. I'm still a bit faster after his mods, but it's very very close, like 1 car lenght from ~40 to 100mph, a simple tune+headers would put him far away in front I Would imagine. But he decided he wanted to play in the big league right now lol, I don't blame him, it's pretty cheap hp compared to E9x!

I have two or tree video to give you an idea, but nothing quality, still fun to watch!

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=6a3ae...paVzCRYmE1p4L0

Edit: lol I thought you meant before his supercharger, forget it, with the blower I'll look like a civic beside his car, should be low 10s, high 130mph car with that much power!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 12:01 AM   #49
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

nice. thanks for the videos
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #50
Kobaiyashi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 (JetBlack/FoxRedExt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSopra Motorsport View Post
Im not sure how they get the 3.5 to 60 numbers, its not one time deal for sure. M5/6 power is way more brutal than the F-R. Right now I have a 2015 M5, they have very different power delivery.

I got the car for half day for some oceanside brunch cruise because I bought a range rover from the dealer last year.

The car looks awesome, it's just perfect looking car, no mistake. But if we go down the list, it's kinda understandable why they would make a 550hp jag looking this good, but only go for $110k.

Interior:
It looks good and sporty with the gold contrast and cockpit design. However, once you sitting in it, you will realize it's all BS. The material feel really cheap, even FRS has way better material than the F-R. The steering wheel too damn huge, you can't really hold the steering tight at all, the angle is not quite direct to the driver seating position either. For interior complaints I can go on and on, the design is against human society.
After driving the car for awhile I realized the car is not for performance driving, all the numbers and advertising just fooling you. The car should be driven with one hand like a badass rapper. Drive like you don't give a fuck, then you will enjoy driving it.

Performance:
The car looks like sports car but it's not. It's a GT cruiser. You can drive hours after hours and still happy with it. Very relax and comfortable, effortless to drive.
It's not like M cars, you don't need to push it to limited to enjoy every bit of fun. You can drive it like a lazy man and listen to the exhaust bark. Actually its not so much fun when you pushing it because the chassis set up isn't up for racing or anything like that. It's just for cruising around with out manner. Cruising with your lady, cruising with your dog, or just simply cruising it without any purpose.

If I had to buy an f-type, I might just go with the regular V6 version. It sounds equally awesome. Since it's slower, so when you make the exhaust barking, it will bark longer before you get into troubles. But again, for $30k differences you can get another 200hp, that's a bargain. F-R seems a better buy on the spec sheet.

To sum it up, I wouldn't buy the F-type for its performance.
If I were to buy one, which most likely will, I will buy it for the experience.
Thanks for this post/review.
      06-06-2015, 06:34 AM   #51
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSopra Motorsport View Post
Im not sure how they get the 3.5 to 60 numbers, its not one time deal for sure. M5/6 power is way more brutal than the F-R. Right now I have a 2015 M5, they have very different power delivery.

I got the car for half day for some oceanside brunch cruise because I bought a range rover from the dealer last year.

The car looks awesome, it's just perfect looking car, no mistake. But if we go down the list, it's kinda understandable why they would make a 550hp jag looking this good, but only go for $110k.

Interior:
It looks good and sporty with the gold contrast and cockpit design. However, once you sitting in it, you will realize it's all BS. The material feel really cheap, even FRS has way better material than the F-R. The steering wheel too damn huge, you can't really hold the steering tight at all, the angle is not quite direct to the driver seating position either. For interior complaints I can go on and on, the design is against human society.
After driving the car for awhile I realized the car is not for performance driving, all the numbers and advertising just fooling you. The car should be driven with one hand like a badass rapper. Drive like you don't give a fuck, then you will enjoy driving it.

Performance:
The car looks like sports car but it's not. It's a GT cruiser. You can drive hours after hours and still happy with it. Very relax and comfortable, effortless to drive.
It's not like M cars, you don't need to push it to limited to enjoy every bit of fun. You can drive it like a lazy man and listen to the exhaust bark. Actually its not so much fun when you pushing it because the chassis set up isn't up for racing or anything like that. It's just for cruising around with out manner. Cruising with your lady, cruising with your dog, or just simply cruising it without any purpose.

If I had to buy an f-type, I might just go with the regular V6 version. It sounds equally awesome. Since it's slower, so when you make the exhaust barking, it will bark longer before you get into troubles. But again, for $30k differences you can get another 200hp, that's a bargain. F-R seems a better buy on the spec sheet.

To sum it up, I wouldn't buy the F-type for its performance.
If I were to buy one, which most likely will, I will buy it for the experience.
Yes, but, in the end, unless you are racing for money, isn't it the overall experience that ultimately yields the most overall driving enjoyment.

And, unless you are in a race for money, isn't the car that is ultimately the most fun to drive, everything considered, rather than just the absolute fastest car, the better one to own?
      06-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #52
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Yes, but, in the end, unless you are racing for money, isn't it the overall experience that ultimately yields the most overall driving enjoyment.

And, unless you are in a race for money, isn't the car that is ultimately the most fun to drive, everything considered, rather than just the absolute fastest car, the better one to own?
Coming from a guy who tuned his S6 to 600 hp? Like it or not speed and performance do matter. If it didn't then why do people buy coilovers, bigger stickier tires, tunes, superchargers, etc? If fun to drive is the only factor we would all be driving a FRS or used S2000 and save our money.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #53
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Coming from a guy who tuned his S6 to 600 hp? Like it or not speed and performance do matter. If it didn't then why do people buy coilovers, bigger stickier tires, tunes, superchargers, etc? If fun to drive is the only factor we would all be driving a FRS or used S2000 and save our money.
Of course, speed and performance matter. They are just not the only things that matter, and beyond a certain point, they become superfluous.

That point of adequate performance. power, etc, however will be different for different people.

Yes, I have a powerhouse S6, but I also chose a Cayman over many other more powerful options.
      06-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #54
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Quote:

& that is why I bought a RWD F-Type V8 S (roadster) after driving a Carrera S. Every review and everyone who knows cars states that the Carrera S (991) is faster around the race track and it is. I had been thinking of getting a Carrera S for many years. I was ready to buy it but test driving my F-Type had me sold after 300 metres of my test drive.

Yes, the F-Type V8 has gobs of power and it loses traction easily. Yes, it is a roadster and it flexes more than a coupe. It is not the fastest around a track. It's interior is not as nice as a Porsche. However, driving it puts a grin on your face and makes you feel like a 4 year old. A 4 year old I know stated that the F-Type is 'a sick car.'

So - in summary, the F-Type is not the best at anything except one thing. The thing it's best at is: what the French may call a certain "je ne sais quoi."
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #55
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield
Quote:

& that is why I bought a RWD F-Type V8 S (roadster) after driving a Carrera S. Every review and everyone who knows cars states that the Carrera S (991) is faster around the race track and it is. I had been thinking of getting a Carrera S for many years. I was ready to buy it but test driving my F-Type had me sold after 300 metres of my test drive.

Yes, the F-Type V8 has gobs of power and it loses traction easily. Yes, it is a roadster and it flexes more than a coupe. It is not the fastest around a track. It's interior is not as nice as a Porsche. However, driving it puts a grin on your face and makes you feel like a 4 year old. A 4 year old I know stated that the F-Type is 'a sick car.'

So - in summary, the F-Type is not the best at anything except one thing. The thing it's best at is: what the French may call a certain "je ne sais quoi."
I actually prefer the f type interior over a Porsche. Not from a build quality standpoint. But from a layout standout. Kind of reminds me of a Aston Martin interior.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #56
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post

There is no denying the appeal of the Jag. It is a seriously hot car. Three things didn't work for me.

1. The interior craftsmanship was not up to the level of the Porsche.

2. I felt like the car swallowed me up. I am only 5'9" and I felt just too low in the car.

3. The RWD version that I drove was just a bit too tail happy for my tastes. Either that or the traction systems would be cutting in all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
I actually prefer the f type interior over a Porsche. Not from a build quality standpoint. But from a layout standout. Kind of reminds me of a Aston Martin interior.
Layout is really nice. Just wish the materials and graphic design of everything was different. Both Porsche and Audi, IMO, have the graphic design of their interiors nailed down. Oh, and the sport seats in the Jag are simply some of the best I've sat in.
      06-08-2015, 11:15 AM   #57
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
The truth is, people who can only have fun in cars with lots of power and grip generally don't know how to drive. A good driver can have tons of fun in an S2000 or FRS (or other balanced low hp/low grip car) because the real fun is sliding through corners without nannies kicking in.

As my driving has slowly improved over the years, I've started to really appreciate how fun a stock-powered M3 is. The balance between the power and chassis is just sublime. That's not to say fast cars are not fun. But lets face it. The main reason we want the fastest car on the road is because of our male egos.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #58
bravm3pwr
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I vote for the Jaguar. The GT-R is faster, handles better, and likely more reliable... However, to me, the GT-R is too much of a boy-racer car.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #59
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:09 PM   #60
Hurricane
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 C63 507

Garage List
2012 E92 M3  [10.00]
Nothing against the GTR, but I'd take the Jag any day. I respect the GT-R for all that it is. Unfortunately I am not a fan of the look. That Jag is pure win. And the sound.......Just Demonic.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #61
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3
Quote:
The truth is, people who can only have fun in cars with lots of power and grip generally don't know how to drive. A good driver can have tons of fun in an S2000 or FRS (or other balanced low hp/low grip car) because the real fun is sliding through corners without nannies kicking in.

As my driving has slowly improved over the years, I've started to really appreciate how fun a stock-powered M3 is. The balance between the power and chassis is just sublime. That's not to say fast cars are not fun. But lets face it. The main reason we want the fastest car on the road is because of our male egos.
I think we also need to keep in perspective what low and high power are. There was a time when 300hp was some serious fire power. Other than stoplight drags, airstrip events, and bragging rights, big power serves little purpose, IMO. I have tuned my Audi S6 for big power, but it was easy to do.....a simple ECU flash, so why not. It is also AWD so it can put the power down.

But big power starts getting you into diminishing returns. You need bigger wheels and tires, bigger brakes, structural reinforcements, etc. These add weight and complexity.

In terms of driving dynamics and enjoyment, moderate power (300-450hp), and low to moderate weight, will yield the best result. Big power cars, even when configured for real performance like a Viper or Z06 can only really be enjoyed on a big track. They are dangerous on back roads, and aren't suited for tight tracks.

In the end, however, this hobby of being a car enthusiast is different things for different people. From the Civic ricer, to the 1920 antique to the Koenigsegg owner, it all about the love of cars and movement. We will all have our likes and dislikes and what is and isn't important.

Good thing there are so many options out there!!!!
      06-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #62
MDREDev
Banned
Rep
Drives: Gremlin

Quote:
I think we also need to keep in perspective what low and high power are. There was a time when 300hp was some serious fire power. Other than stoplight drags, airstrip events, and bragging rights, big power serves little purpose, IMO. I have tuned my Audi S6 for big power, but it was easy to do.....a simple ECU flash, so why not. It is also AWD so it can put the power down.

But big power starts getting you into diminishing returns. You need bigger wheels and tires, bigger brakes, structural reinforcements, etc. These add weight and complexity.

In terms of driving dynamics and enjoyment, moderate power (300-450hp), and low to moderate weight, will yield the best result. Big power cars, even when configured for real performance like a Viper or Z06 can only really be enjoyed on a big track. They are dangerous on back roads, and aren't suited for tight tracks.

In the end, however, this hobby of being a car enthusiast is different things for different people. From the Civic ricer, to the 1920 antique to the Koenigsegg owner, it all about the love of cars and movement. We will all have our likes and dislikes and what is and isn't important.

Good thing there are so many options out there!!!!
All very good points that I agree with. While crazy power is nice to brag about, I have come to the colclusion that it is so much more about the driving experience. I've had some high HP cars (those 500-625 HP) that are indeed fun but, if not tracked and only driven on public roads, you run the risk of jail time.

My former C6Z06 scared the shit out of me on more than one occasion. The GTR and 997 Turbo constantly put me in fear of getting nailed by LEO. And you are at those speeds in about 7-10 seconds in those cars.

The cars that provided me the most enjoyable/engaging driving experience were my E46 M3, 987 CaymanS and E92M3. None of which are going to win any dick measuring contest when it comes to power. Hence, my search for a 981 CaymanS.

If the pure power is what you are after then by all means get the high HP car. Everyone is different and like Larthal said....choices are great. And there are a ton of choices out there these days (albeit some of the newer designs are not my cup of tea personally)
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #63
UnaBomber
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5, 2010 GTR

Quote:
and beyond a certain point, they become superfluous.
fuck ive spent hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to find that point and am nowhere near it
8.97@164 - 206.99 half mile - 1401whp 1095tq Road Race Prepped Monster Killed on Hellbender 28
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:42 PM   #64
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
After having a GT-R for a year and a half id go with the F-Type R all day.

GTR is really fast and handles great, looks OK, but doesn't sound good stock and it makes all kinds of noises that are unpleasant, also rides rough even in comfort mode.

It also attracts a lot of attention from kids in clown cars everywhere I go

Ill get a F Type R in a couple years when they depreciate to 50-60k. They can already be had for 85k. Not bad its a great car in person
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 07:19 AM   #65
DLMphotos
Rep
Drives: --

Jag definitely...mainly because that V8 sound is so hard to replace, and also because the GTR doesn't look nearly as good
      08-04-2015, 01:32 AM   #66
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I drove the F Type R on an extended test drive. I have to say, I am sold on this car. If I owned it, I would drive it in 2nd gear the entire time.

For me, it's down to F Type R or the C6 Z06 or the Viper