BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

04-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #1
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

New rotors - prep for track?

Hey guys, I think I will be replacing my OEM rotors about a week before my first track event this year. Aside from the usual bedding with my track pads (RS19), is there anything else to do to ensure they are fine for the first real outing? In the past I have been told to take it easy on new rotors for the first hundred k/miles, but I'm not sure it's really necessary.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i'm no expert, but i think once the pads are bedded, the rotors are good to go. i can think of one major distributor offering brake pad bedding as a service for new rotors and states they are good to go when delivered. i think a proper cool down for oem rotors is much more important than breaking them in after a proper bedding.
      04-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #3
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

I always wash new rotors with soap and water to remove the grease from the factory before installing. You'll notice them starting to oxidize right away after doing this.

Other than that, after bedding and proper cooling as roastbeef mentioned, you should be good to go.
      04-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
I always wash new rotors with soap and water to remove the grease from the factory before installing. You'll notice them starting to oxidize right away after doing this.

Other than that, after bedding and proper cooling as roastbeef mentioned, you should be good to go.
This. StopTech's rotors and friction rings come with a warning in huge font saying that they have to be washed with soap and water prior to installation to remove some sort of coating or they won't work properly or can damage stuff. I don't know if that's true of the OEM rotors, but it can't hurt, so definitely do that if you're DIYing. Other than that, bed them in and go. If you had PFC pads, even the bedding would be optional, but Pagids are much pickier about that.

But OP out of curiosity, what is causing you to think you need to replace your rotors? Are you seeing cracks connecting the drilled holes and/or extending to the outside edge of the rotor? Are they near minimum thickness? Or are you just worried because you have a track event coming up?

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

I just throw my pads on at the track. Your first session will automatically bed them. They will squeal like hell. Next sessions won't squeal as much. Problem solved.
      04-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #6
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post

But OP out of curiosity, what is causing you to think you need to replace your rotors? Are you seeing cracks connecting the drilled holes and/or extending to the outside edge of the rotor? Are they near minimum thickness? Or are you just worried because you have a track event coming up?
They aren't cracked or anything now, but they were getting close to minimum last year, and since I am putting new suspension on this week, I figured I might just have the rotors installed at the same time. Otherwise I will be doing myself sometime over the next few months.

Washing the rotors sounds like a good idea though. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0