BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

08-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #23
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by force4rmr View Post
But to their credit, they stand behind their product and offer excellent customer support, which is an important but often overlooked factor when buying wheels.
That is a good point... great customer service goes a long way to fixing issues that arise and should be part of the buying decision.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #24
speedfan
Major
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: BMW

i've been riding on the VMR 710 for 3-4 months now & I honestly think they're strong enough.
The roads here in Vietnam is gotta be worst & even though I've tried to avoid potholes at all cost, but many times I just cant avoid it. If I swerve, I'd hit the mopeds next to me, or bicycles, tricycles, or other cars, or heck, jaywalkers.
I hit so many potholes & bumps that my alignment was off just within a couple of months.

To this day, the VMR 're still fine, no nicked, bent, cracked or anything *knock on wood*.
I like the VMR 710, so do many local bmw guys here. They wanna take the wheels off my hands so badly (because they dont wanna go through the troubles of freight forwarding for international shipping, clearing custom, ect...)

That's why I'm in the market for different wheels.

& this time, since i'm going up to 19" with less rubber protection, I'll go for STRONG wheels for a peace of mind.
:-)

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #25
riyatch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
That is a good point... great customer service goes a long way to fixing issues that arise and should be part of the buying decision.
I agree, which is why i would be careful purchasing Morr wheels as their quality control and customer service is lacking. I was part of the initial group buy and am STILL dealing with them trying to get an issue with my wheels resolved.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #26
trapit
Private
Rep
Drives: AW E92

Morr Vs8.2 Ftw
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #27
gimmethemuumuu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3, SO/Bk

Hey, Carlos,

Still waiting on those tracking numbers you promised a couple of days ago
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #28
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
I couldn't find them in the TuV-Rheinland database. How can you confirm they are TUV? Do you get a certificate with them?
??
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #29
gimmethemuumuu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 M3, SO/Bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by riyatch View Post
I agree, which is why i would be careful purchasing Morr wheels as their quality control and customer service is lacking. I was part of the initial group buy and am STILL dealing with them trying to get an issue with my wheels resolved.
I agree! I too was part of the initial group buy/pre-purchase and I STILL don't have my wheels!!! And now MORR has gone incommunicado!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #30
thurston
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

MORR is definitely superior. I'm running the VS8.2's on my 335i and they are AMAZING. They ride very comfortably, get sh*t tons of compliments and are VERY strong. I've hit some cavernous potholes in Omaha, whereas I was sure I had cracked or at least bent a rim....but nope! Not a ding on them. You won't be disappointed with MORR. Quality work.

And I don't know what they're are talking about above me (regarding custy service). I ordered my wheels when I was overseas. I had never met anybody from MORR, nor even heard of them before purchasing. Anytime I asked for an update, I received it promptly. And I still keep in contact with them today with the same first class customer service.
      12-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #31
11' AW M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' ZCP E92 M3

This thread is very interesting... I think the takeaway here is that MORR is very creative with their marketing. Notice in this very thread they do not confirm or deny whether their wheels are forged. From what I understand, the wheels are FLOW FORMED CAST WHEELS, just like Forgestar's. Notice Forgestar's are $1,500, and MORR's are more than double. These wheels also went through an identity crisis with the branding- first calling them monoforged, then spunforged as its much more politically correct. I consider myself quite knowledgeable when it comes to wheels, but I even thought they were forged due to the creative wording of the marketing until I did some inquiring/research. Heck, I was even interested in a set for a track set-up and commended MORR in another thread for these wheels. A sponsor on here confirmed that they are not true forged when I inquired. Also, a good friend of mine who is in the industry told me the same thing. If MORR can come in here and confirm or deny this, that would be great. I think many people will be quite upset if they found out the wheels they bought weren't forged as they were led to believe.

Also, regarding all of the certifications, all I see is their testing from STL (which is great as many wheel companies don't even do this). If they were TUV certified, they would have a document to prove it, and they would appear in the database (which I hear they don't). Same goes for the VIA/JWL certifications. Its quite different to be built according to JWL/VIA & TUV standards and actually being certified. Again, MORR, please do correct me if I am wrong here...
      12-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #32
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11' AW M3 View Post
This thread is very interesting... I think the takeaway here is that MORR is very creative with their marketing. Notice in this very thread they do not confirm or deny whether their wheels are forged. From what I understand, the wheels are FLOW FORMED CAST WHEELS, just like Forgestar's. Notice Forgestar's are $1,500, and MORR's are more than double. These wheels also went through an identity crisis with the branding- first calling them monoforged, then spunforged as its much more politically correct. I consider myself quite knowledgeable when it comes to wheels, but I even thought they were forged due to the creative wording of the marketing until I did some inquiring/research. Heck, I was even interested in a set for a track set-up and commended MORR in another thread for these wheels. A sponsor on here confirmed that they are not true forged when I inquired. Also, a good friend of mine who is in the industry told me the same thing. If MORR can come in here and confirm or deny this, that would be great. I think many people will be quite upset if they found out the wheels they bought weren't forged as they were led to believe.

Also, regarding all of the certifications, all I see is their testing from STL (which is great as many wheel companies don't even do this). If they were TUV certified, they would have a document to prove it, and they would appear in the database (which I hear they don't). Same goes for the VIA/JWL certifications. Its quite different to be built according to JWL/VIA & TUV standards and actually being certified. Again, MORR, please do correct me if I am wrong here...
from everyth'n that u've said, all i took in is that ur either affiliated w/ forgestar OR ur good friends w/ them.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #33
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos@MORR View Post
[

3. The impurities, contamination and high porosity of a cast wheel prevents it from being successfully brushed. You need a very clean metal, such as 6061-T6 and a very good manufacturing process (such as that used in Forged wheel construction) in order to achieve this finish. Here is a picture of our MonoForged VS8.2 in Brushed Aluminum:

I can attest to Carlos' quote here. I saw their wheels at their booth at Bimmerfest East this past summer and the finish on the brushed aluminum wheels mounted on a customers Matte Black E93 M3 was incredible! Very nice brushed look, which would be the finish I'd get if I were to pick up a set of their wheels. Also, they had one of their 19x9" wheels that they allowed people to pick up, and let me tell you, it was very light (and I am not a big guy). So thus I believe in MORRs quality, and regarding customer service, Andy was the one I was speaking to at Bimmerfest and he was very kind and helpful and provided me with lots of info regarding their manufacturing process and company.

Although I do not have a set of their wheels and cannot give you personal experience, I will say that they are among the very few wheel brands I will consider if I were to buy a set of wheels in the future (and I am very picky when it comes to mods).

But again, Advan RS wheels I've heard are also very good wheels, and Yokohama is a very reputable company. So you really can't go wrong with either. I'm actually considering those wheels, too. But my vote is MORR because I love their brushed finish!

Hope that was helpful!

GONE 2011 SG/Blk E92 M3 CS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #34
11' AW M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' ZCP E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos@MORR View Post
You already asked this in another thread. Perhaps you missed my answer. If you did, here it is again.

This is what you asked:

This is what we replied:

1. You cannot make a cast wheel out of 6061-T6.

2. The use of flow-forming does not mean the wheel is "Flow Formed". Flow-forming is a relatively new technology. We did not use flow forming before. We now use it to help reduce barrel thickness on our blanks and make our vehicle specific fitments (No, we do not charge $24,000 for this) and to reduce and nearly eliminate wheel round out. HRE, for example, uses this technology as well.

3. The impurities, contamination and high porosity of a cast wheel prevents it from being successfully brushed. You need a very clean metal, such as 6061-T6 and a very good manufacturing process (such as that used in Forged wheel construction) in order to achieve this finish. Here is a picture of our MonoForged VS8.2 in Brushed Aluminum:

We thought it would be clever to change the name from MonoForged to SpunForged since we were using flow-forming to reduce barrel thickness and we were introducing a new redesigned wheel, but it back fired so we changed it back to MonoForged. Now Flow-Forming (cast/flowformed) is being referred to as "Rotary Forging". Rotary Forging is a very different manufacturing process (a very good one) and it's actually used to make Forged wheels so I understand why there is so much confusion in this market.

Regarding TUV, we never claimed to be TUV-Approved. We submitted an application to TUV but a certificate could not be issued since one of our suppliers ISO certification had expired. We are SAE-J2530/DOT and JWL/VIA certified. We have clear copies of our SAE certificate on our Flickr page. Our JWL certification is impossible to understand and it's of no use issuing a certificate to US customers.

We are not new to this. Our company has been making wheels since 2004. We have being doing business with the industry's most elite suppliers ever since we opened. Every wheel company works on a per order basis, while we stock our inventory. Making one set at a time versus producing 1000-2000 wheels at a time helps reduce our manufacturing cost by 20-30% and this reflects on our pricing. Our marketing and pricing structure is very aggressive and it causes our competitors and some vendors, who do not carry our products, to result to spreading rumors in order to be able to complete with us. If you ever held one of our wheels in your hands you would know that our build quality, engineering, design and finished product is beyond your expectations. In fact, PM me your address and I`ll send you a sample wheel for you to personally see it.

We are not a marketing firm, or a designing firm, we are an engineering firm and we know what we are doing. Hope this answers your question.

Carlos Morr
President
MORR Competition Wheels
Thanks for the reply- so your wheels are made from 6061-t6 forged aluminum blanks like all other forged monoblocks on the market... interesting. As I mentioned above, this goes against what I was told by two sources (one being a vendor of your wheels, and I will reply to your pm shortly), but its nice to get confirmation straight from the source. You also didn't directly reply in my original inquiry whether these particular wheels were made from Forged blanks, hence my asking again.

For my own personal knowledge- you are saying you can't make a wheel out of 6061 aluminum that is not forged?

Clearly there is a lot of misinformation regarding the testing, even if you scroll up there is a sponsor claiming your wheels are TUV certified as well (which they aren't as you just confirmed). I personally don't care for TUV certification or VIA/JWL because, as you mentioned, it makes no difference to me since I am in the states. Testing via STL is enough- the problem I do have is false advertising (again, you can scroll up). Not to bust your balls, but if your wheel are VIA/JWL certified, you would have a certificate as well as being listed in their registry. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think you are listed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the infamous... View Post
from everyth'n that u've said, all i took in is that ur either affiliated w/ forgestar OR ur good friends w/ them.
Really? Just because I used an example of a popular flow formed wheel for comparison purposes? I have been through 6 sets of wheels on my ///m, and currently still have three sets. Non of which are Forgestar's, and never will they be on my car because I am against putting cast wheels on my car. Putting $1500 wheels on a $75k car is retarded to me (even though they are better than 95% of the cast garbage on the market).
      12-27-2011, 01:10 AM   #35
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood07 View Post
For what it's worth, I have hit huge potholes and have driven on the worst Boston and NYC roads with my Advan RS with no damage. So I am not sure how important strength of the wheel would be between the two. Go with the ones that look better to you.
You are correct. The issue isn't really which wheel is stronger since both will suffice for daily driving, commuting, and track days. This is 20 year old news.

So the question is which wheels does the OP like better in terms of looks?

I would go ADVAN or Volk over Morr. Thats just me.
Appreciate 0