BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
speedfan
Major
 
speedfan's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: HCM City

Posts: 1,103
iTrader: (2)

Advan RS or MORR vs8.2

Hi guys,
I thought I should ask you guys since the M owners probably change wheels more often.

I'm in the market for 19" wheels.
As the title says, which 1 do you think is stronger?

I like the mesh style, but Im already riding on them. So, having the new style like Advan RS is also a good idea. However, MORR is fully forged with 8k tons I was told, whereas Advan RS is flow form cast. So, MORR is stronger, correct?

btw, how much approximately is the Advan RS? they can't be more than $3k right?

I cant decide at this point.
any input please,
Thanks,
Dung
__________________
My e90

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
speedfan is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
gthal
Colonel
 
gthal's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,172
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
I looked at both wheels very seriously and went with the Morr wheels. What I liked about Morr was the look, weight and strength as a combination. They actually send out the testing reports on the wheel strength when you buy a set which is nice to have.

The Morr wheels weigh slightly less for the fronts and slightly more in the rear. So, let's call weight even. I don't know the strength ratings off hand for the Advans but I would expect they are very strong... I would expect the Morr wheels to be as strong or stronger due to the forging.

I think you should get whichever one you like the look of the most. What I didn't like about the Advans is that they are not as concave and the spokes actually come out from the face before bending back to the hub... just not a style I loved. I can say the Morr wheels look amazing in person (much better than in pictures) and quality is very, very high. The other thing is I think the Advans were a little less money if that matters to you.

Good luck in the decision.
gthal is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Cal@Sonic MS
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: earth

Posts: 4,653
iTrader: (2)

You can't go wrong with the MORR VS8.2.
They are extremely light and strong, spec is below.
- 19x9.0 ET22mm - 19.8 lbs (painted & cleared)
- 19x10 ET20mm - 23.6 lbs (painted & cleared)

Plus like the above poster mentioned, the MORR has an extremely deep concave rear profile.

In regards to structural strengh, the MORR VS8.2 are fully JWL, VIA and TUV certified. The ADVAN RS are JWL/VIA certified but does not have TUV (German) certification...
Judging from that fact in addition to the proprietary MORR MonoForging technology, I would say the MORR wheel is superior.
Cal@Sonic MS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
speedfan
Major
 
speedfan's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: HCM City

Posts: 1,103
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I looked at both wheels very seriously and went with the Morr wheels. What I liked about Morr was the look, weight and strength as a combination. They actually send out the testing reports on the wheel strength when you buy a set which is nice to have.

The Morr wheels weigh slightly less for the fronts and slightly more in the rear. So, let's call weight even. I don't know the strength ratings off hand for the Advans but I would expect they are very strong... I would expect the Morr wheels to be as strong or stronger due to the forging.

I think you should get whichever one you like the look of the most. What I didn't like about the Advans is that they are not as concave and the spokes actually come out from the face before bending back to the hub... just not a style I loved. I can say the Morr wheels look amazing in person (much better than in pictures) and quality is very, very high. The other thing is I think the Advans were a little less money if that matters to you.

Good luck in the decision.
I think you put it perfectly of how I feel about the Advan RS.
It's good to know Morr sends out the test report!
Thanks gthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Sonic MS View Post
You can't go wrong with the MORR VS8.2.
They are extremely light and strong, spec is below.
- 19x9.0 ET22mm - 19.8 lbs (painted & cleared)
- 19x10 ET20mm - 23.6 lbs (painted & cleared)

Plus like the above poster mentioned, the MORR has an extremely deep concave rear profile.

In regards to structural strengh, the MORR VS8.2 are fully JWL, VIA and TUV certified. The ADVAN RS are JWL/VIA certified but does not have TUV (German) certification...
Judging from that fact in addition to the proprietary MORR MonoForging technology, I would say the MORR wheel is superior.
Well said. Thanks Cal.
__________________
My e90

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
speedfan is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Cal@Sonic MS
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: earth

Posts: 4,653
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
"Monoforging" is just a "flow formed forge (cast)" isnt it?
Technically yes, just semantics. MORR dubs it "Monoforging", AKA SpunForged / Rotary Forged / Flow Formed Cast.

However, MORR differentiates themselves by utilizing extensive technologies in order to absolutely minimize the weight...without sacrificing structural integrity.

These technologies include, but are not limited to - Vehicle Specific Profiles (VSP) and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) by using Vehicle Specific Load Ratings (VSLR) and Vehicle Specific Weight Optimization (VSWO).

More information and technical details can be found on MORR's webpage.
Cal@Sonic MS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
gthal
Colonel
 
gthal's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,172
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Sonic MS View Post
Technically yes, just semantics. MORR dubs it "Monoforging", AKA SpunForged / Rotary Forged / Flow Formed Cast.

However, MORR differentiates themselves by utilizing extensive technologies in order to absolutely minimize the weight...without sacrificing structural integrity.

These technologies include, but are not limited to - Vehicle Specific Profiles (VSP) and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) by using Vehicle Specific Load Ratings (VSLR) and Vehicle Specific Weight Optimization (VSWO).

More information and technical details can be found on MORR's webpage.
Andy @ Morr told me specifically that they are forged. This very issue came up in the group buy thread. I think his exact words were "have you ever seen a 19lb wheel that is 19x9 that is cast?"

Either way they are very light and very strong and I would have chosen them in any event but it would be nice to clarify.

Last edited by gthal; 08-15-2011 at 05:55 PM.
gthal is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
GOLFFRR's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf Cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Solvang, CA/Camarillo, CA

Posts: 13,975
iTrader: (4)

I vote for the Morr's
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, PM ME FIRST I CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote?..EMAIL: Bmwdavid@icloud.com | T.805.482.8878 ask for David Aviles
www.stevethomasbmw.com | OUR PARTS STORE | Facebook-DAVID | BMWDAVID.COM
GOLFFRR is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
the infamous...
Relapsed Bimmerpost Addict
 
the infamous...'s Avatar
 
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PARADISE aka CANES COUNTRY

Posts: 17,539
iTrader: (0)

ummm, MORRRRRRRRRR



/end thread
__________________


"simple is clean" -The ///ModFather
the infamous... is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
calintexas
Major
 
calintexas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Texas

Posts: 1,416
iTrader: (1)

I'm pretty sure Morr starts with a forged blank. Depending on the Advan model, they either start with a casting or a forged blank also. Without the certification test results or actual comparison testing, it's difficult to know which wheels are actually stronger or more durable. Generally, at a similar total wheel weight, you can expect the wheel that started as a forged blank to be a stronger and more durable wheel than the one that started with a casting. There's a great video that shows flow forming from a casting and from a forged blank in the Wheel Manufacturing Methods "sticky" thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357430.

Morr is a small company that has done what appears to be a very fine job designing, engineering, and developing a wheel that perfectly fits our cars at a very reasonable price. They provide attention to detail and personal service, and they have differentiated themselves from a number of other brands by fully certifying their wheels to JWL/VIA and TUV standards.

Advan is a Yokahama brand. Yokahama is an industrial giant with vast technical resources.

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.
__________________

Last edited by calintexas; 08-15-2011 at 11:56 PM.
calintexas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
Mahmood07
Captain
 
Mahmood07's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boston->San Diego->Bahrain

Posts: 802
iTrader: (0)

For what it's worth, I have hit huge potholes and have driven on the worst Boston and NYC roads with my Advan RS with no damage. So I am not sure how important strength of the wheel would be between the two. Go with the ones that look better to you.
__________________
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Mahmood07 is offline   Bahrain
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #11
Z K
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,883
iTrader: (3)

I had Advan RS on an previous car. They come in at a lower price point because they are not forged - they are "Flow Formed". Their casting process is very advanced so the wheels come out very strong and light. The paint job could be better as they chipped rather easily from rocks kicked up by other cars... but it's no different than car paint. As mentioned, they are made by Yokohama which also makes OEM wheels for Japanese cars. Also used on WTCC cars and WRC cars in competition. http://www.advanwheels.com.au/about/why-advan.aspx

Basically, it comes down to pricing and which design you like.
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2011, 02:03 AM   #12
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
 
Vudoo4u2's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: It's bobsled time

Posts: 2,797
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to Vudoo4u2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post

"Monoforging" is just a "flow formed forge (cast)" isnt it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Thanks, that's what I thought. Not a true forged wheel in the most literal sense of the manuf. process.

This is incorrect (not trying to flame you, just trying to make sure the thread ends with the proper info)

You can flow form a cast wheel, and you can flow form a forging blank

The latter is what MORR uses, they are not cast wheels, they are a true forged wheel (in every sense of the term)
__________________
Canon 14 F2.8 L II : Canon 50 F1.2 L : Canon 24-70 F2.8 L : Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS/L : Canon 5D Mark II : B+W Filters : Photo Whore

Last edited by Vudoo4u2; 08-16-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Vudoo4u2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2011, 05:15 AM   #13
gthal
Colonel
 
gthal's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,172
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
This is incorrect (not trying to flame you, just trying to make sure the thread ends with the proper info)

You can flow form a cast wheel, and you can flow form a forging blank

The latter is what MORR uses, they are not cast wheels, they are a true forged wheel (in every sense of the term)
Yeah, that confirms what Morr told me. Thanks for clarifying!
gthal is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2011, 07:12 AM   #14
ianot
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond London

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

How much for a set of those MORR rims - 19"
ianot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #15
speedfan
Major
 
speedfan's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: HCM City

Posts: 1,103
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Thanks for clarifying. That was not what had been explained, and no one has ever said different, until your post.
However, they are not a true forged wheel in every sense of the word. Hence part of the reason they need to come up with a term called 'monoforging'.

Here is the way a true forged wheel, ala volks are made. It is NOT the same process morr makes their wheels...so again, not a true forged wheels in every sense of the word.



And this is a flow formed wheel.

wow, very cool vids!

ianot, Morr is retailed for $3500. But there's a deal going on for under $3k.
__________________
My e90

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
speedfan is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #16
ianot
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richmond London

Posts: 125
iTrader: (0)

There out of my price range then. Which of the following rims are the strongest and best:

1. AVG M359
2. Alufelgen SF-17
3. VMR VB3

Are they all TUV approved...
ianot is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #17
Cal@Sonic MS
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: earth

Posts: 4,653
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianot View Post
There out of my price range then. Which of the following rims are the strongest and best:

1. AVG M359
2. Alufelgen SF-17
3. VMR VB3

Are they all TUV approved...
AVG M359 - low pressure cast, JWL/VIA certified, no TUV.
Alufelgen SF-17 - low pressure cast, JWL/ VIA certified, not sure on TUV.
VMR VB3 - gravity cast, JWL/VIA certified..no TUV.

Very few wheels in the aftermarket industry are TUV approved. It's a short list, to name a few - HRE, BBS, MORR, Klassen..., there's a few more but I can't think of any more right now.
Cal@Sonic MS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #18
Carlos@MORR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Carlos@MORR's Avatar
 
Drives: Individual E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Everywhere

Posts: 308
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Thanks for clarifying. That was not what had been explained, and no one has ever said different, until your post.
However, they are not a true forged wheel in every sense of the word. Hence part of the reason they need to come up with a term called 'monoforging'.

Here is the way a true forged wheel, ala volks are made. It is NOT the same process morr makes their wheels...so again, not a true forged wheels in every sense of the word.


That is impression die-forging. It has no quality benefits over non-impression die-forging. Impression die-forging, such as what Volk uses to make their TE-37, is used because of the high volume of wheels they make since machining time is very minimal. The only aftermarket manufacturer I know that uses this method is Volk. No other manufacturer uses it since the tooling cost is approximately half a million dollars.

MonoForging is not a word nor a manufacturing process. MonoForgedô is the name of our 8000-Ton Forged MonoBlock (1PC) product line.
Carlos@MORR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #19
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Moxie's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Stuttgart

Posts: 1,846
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal@Sonic MS View Post
AVG M359 - low pressure cast, JWL/VIA certified, no TUV.
Alufelgen SF-17 - low pressure cast, JWL/ VIA certified, not sure on TUV.
VMR VB3 - gravity cast, JWL/VIA certified..no TUV.

Very few wheels in the aftermarket industry are TUV approved. It's a short list, to name a few - HRE, BBS, MORR, Klassen..., there's a few more but I can't think of any more right now.
I couldn't find them in the TuV-Rheinland database. How can you confirm they are TUV? Do you get a certificate with them?
Moxie is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #20
speedfan
Major
 
speedfan's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: HCM City

Posts: 1,103
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos@MORR View Post
That is impression die-forging. It has no quality benefits over non-impression die-forging. Impression die-forging, such as what Volk uses to make their TE-37, is used because of the high volume of wheels they make since machining time is very minimal. The only aftermarket manufacturer I know that uses this method is Volk. No other manufacturer uses it since the tooling cost is approximately half a million dollars.

MonoForging is not a word nor a manufacturing process. MonoForged™ is the name of our 8000-Ton Forged MonoBlock (1PC) product line.
Hi Carlos,
so, bottom line is Morr vs8.2 is 1 piece forged wheel?

Could you describe the forging process of Morr please?

Also, what's the weight load rating for the vs8.2?
Thanks,
D
__________________
My e90

Frozen Grey. Dry CF Roof. Vorsteiner Double Sided CF Boot Lid. OSS. BMW Performance Aero Kit. BMW Performance CF Diffuser Cover. BMW Performance CF Trim. Robson Design Steering Wheel. Advan RS. Michelin PSS. H&R Touring Cup Kit. BMW Performance Brakes. Eisenmann Race Rear Muffler. ESS Directflash
speedfan is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #21
gthal
Colonel
 
gthal's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,172
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianot View Post
There out of my price range then. Which of the following rims are the strongest and best:

1. AVG M359
2. Alufelgen SF-17
3. VMR VB3

Are they all TUV approved...
I have owned the Alufelgens and they are very good quality. The Alufelgens and the AVG are both manufactured using a better process than VMR. If it were me, I would stick to #1 or #2... plus, VMR is notorious for finish issues. IMO, the VMR wheels would be good winter wheels or if style/cost is your only criteria.
gthal is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      08-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #22
gthal
Colonel
 
gthal's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,172
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos@MORR View Post
That is impression die-forging. It has no quality benefits over non-impression die-forging. Impression die-forging, such as what Volk uses to make their TE-37, is used because of the high volume of wheels they make since machining time is very minimal. The only aftermarket manufacturer I know that uses this method is Volk. No other manufacturer uses it since the tooling cost is approximately half a million dollars.

MonoForging is not a word nor a manufacturing process. MonoForgedô is the name of our 8000-Ton Forged MonoBlock (1PC) product line.
Thanks Carlos... you guys should put this info somewhere because this issue comes up often.
gthal is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST