BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-04-2009, 04:41 AM   #1
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

EVO calls M3 limited edition "best E90 M3 yet" bec of Conti Sport 3...

EVO.uk (full link at bottom) just reviewed the "limited edition" M3 and called it "...the best E90 series M3..." they have driven for 2 reasons: one of them being that the car comes with Conti Sport 3 and not Michelin Sport Cups, Seems that, according to EVO, they give the M3 better overall balance between under/oversteer. Here is the full quote re the tires:

"The reason for this is twofold. First there is the drop in ride height. Second there is the rubber that our test car was wearing. The M3 normally comes shod with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, tyres which can also be found on Porsche GT3s and 2s. They have almost slick outer edges and generate a huge amount of grip but, aside from producing scintillating lap times, I’m not convinced they show the M3 off to best advantage. Fitted to our Edition were the other OE tyres for the M3, the Continental Sport Contact 3s, and whilst they have slightly less overall grip they give a much more involving drive.

On the Michelins you had to be way up in the high-rev powerband to unstick the rear which, like drinking a crate of Red Bull, was fizzingly exciting but also a bit extreme. Now, with the help of the Continentals and the drop in ride height, the M3’s poise and adjustability shine through without the need to have the V8 revving sky-high. There’s the potential for a touch of understeer if you push the nose into a corner hard (not something you ever found with the Michelins) but it’s easily neutralised by getting back on the throttle and steering with the now instantly alert rear. It reminds me of the CLK Black Series, which has to be a very good thing."

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...3_edition.html
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
///FCB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR

hmm..what I dont get is why it says E90 when the photos are a E92 :s

btw..I love my michelin pilot sport cups, never drove any better tire so far..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
AmmNick
MWDesign Project BMW E92 M3 Darth Maul Fan
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///FCB View Post
hmm..what I dont get is why it says E90 when the photos are a E92 :s

+1
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
Ken37.73
Private 1st Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jet Black

I'd prefer to be high up in the revs before unsticking the rear ...........
      11-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
So, it's a better tire because there is less grip? I guess if I start drifting my car Conti 3's are the way to go.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
Boosted Josh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Raptor, 2016 M4 stripper

I guess it is kind of like my old mustang. 500+rwhp and 1950's suspension technology sure made for a fun time sliding around.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

I read the article last week and thought that was really weird. They didn't call out how BMW's installing springs and new tires ran the cost up on a standard M3, WTF? Though, I have to say that i want Monte Carlo Blue now.

BTW are most UK spec M3s sold with Pilot Sport Cups?
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
Yeah, that caught my eye too, and I was wondering if it was a misprint. Here int he states, it's either Pilot Sport 2's or Conti Sport Contact 3's. Between these two, I like the Conti's becasue they provide more grip consistently over more laps, whereas the PS2's lose grip and get slippery early on.

Pilot Cups are a whole different ball of wax (R-compound tiers), which will NEVER come standard on a car in the US. Acura tried it with the first generation NSX in the early 90's (sold with R-compound Yokohama tires) and took a hit because of too many customers complained about tires wearing our after 2500 miles... whah, whah, whah )
      11-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

cant compare apples and oranges! Rcoumpound versus a max performance tire just not doable! They should ahve compared them to the PS2's not the cups!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
I read the article last week and thought that was really weird. They didn't call out how BMW's installing springs and new tires ran the cost up on a standard M3, WTF? Though, I have to say that i want Monte Carlo Blue now.

In the UK, with the sport package you can order Pilot Cup Sports instead of the regular Pilot Sports or Conties. You cannot do that here in the US.
      11-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
Alex///M
E90 - the Ultimate family hauler
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 ///M3

I read the article the other day and was left scratching my head. I've driven on Continentals on both street and track when I had my E46 and thought they were the absolute worst tire I've ever driven on. Period. They became greasy within 4 to 5 laps (on a short track at that), provided extremely inconsistent grip to the point I just didn't feel comfortable going into a corner because I did not know how much grip I was going to have, they were very noisy for a street tire after the first few thousand miles, and to top it off they wore out in no time flat.

I don't know how the PS2's compare in track driving as I now have a dedicates set of R-compound track tires and have therefore only run the PS2's on the street. But so far they are wearing much better, make less noise, and channel water a bit better than the Continentals ever did.

Basically, you couldn't give me a set of Continentals to put on my car. So far in my motoring life they are the only tire I have ever sworn to never own again. It really blows my mind that a car mag like EVO would actually prefer the Contis over a set of Pilot Sport Cups.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

I get what he's saying, but what a stupid comment. Of course less grip = more ability to power oversteer and more excitement at lower speeds, but if you want to have fun going slow, go buy a ford.
      11-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know when we'll be able to source the Edition springs from places like realoem.com?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0