BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Dealer scratched my ZCP rim today

Very furious here..

dropped off the car at the dealer this morning due to overfilling oil warning, waited for the car 2 hours. Their service manager test drove the car, and as he pulled in with the car, opened the door, and I sat down and drove. I of course didn't bother to look at the front right wheel and inspect, but i should off.

I drove straight home, parked the car in garage and took my DD to work. When I returned from work, my eye caught the curb scratch. Very furious. I am 1000% ths happened at dealer today, since I don't park this car anywhere.

I will not be happy without a new replacement rim. the car is a 2012 and I just received the car in May.

anyone had this happen to them at the dealer by the dealer? What was your resolution or advise. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The dealer will fix that rim only if they really care about this situation; 99% sure that you are not getting a new rim.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

"Very furious"?? Over a pretty small rim scratch? You must have a pretty charmed life if that's enough to trigger a "very furious" reaction.

And why on earth wouldn't a new rim be enough for you?? It's not as if a scratched rim has compromised some other part of the car or caused you some huge inconvenience or hardship.

Chill out and accept that these things are bound to happen. Yes, it's unfortunate that it happened to you so soon, but consider it conditioning for your first ding/scratch experience. Then just get in the car, drive it like it's supposed to be driven, and soon enough you'll forget all about it -- especially since it's on the passenger's side where you're less likely to see it all the time. I have a minor ding on my right rear quarter panel and my wife scraped part of my passenger door edge when she opened the door and let it hit a concrete wall. They both sucked for a couple days after they happened, and now I never even think about them.

Bottom line: It's just a car, and a cosmetic blemish won't get in the way of the real way it's supposed to make you happy. If you MUST bring it up with the dealer, be calm and reasonable. That will likely go much farther and deliver much more of a long-term benefit than being a tool.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
burakkose
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: i8

I'm very sorry to see that You should have checked your car...
I left my car for service to the dealer. The car came with entire different stereo settings, passenger seat was adjusted, was unclean...

When you do the checking like I do, before they deliver. You get the privilege of swearing your butt off to the bastards...

Try so hard, I'm telling you. Find the guy who test-drove your car.
      07-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 FO M4

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
I had my car at the dealer getting a new tire on one of my GTS wheels because I got a nail in it and have the wheel and tire warranty. I get a call over 2 hours later saying "I have some bad news... they scratched your wheel mounting the tire".

I went to the dealer and he told me he would have it repaired for me. I told him that I bought the wheel warranty in case I scratched my wheels, not if they did and that I wanted it replaced. He began to argue with me saying that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I told him if I was ever to sell the wheels I would have to disclose that it was repaired to the buyer to which he responded "no, you legally don't have to. Would you tell a buyer about every little scratch and ding you ever had on your car if you sold it?". I told him I would hope someone would do the same for me regarding selling the wheel and that I wanted it replaced.

He told me that because of the style of the wheel and the fact that the M3 has RUN-FLAT tires... that every time you mount a tire, you are going to scratch the wheel. I told him when I bought the wheels that the guy never scratched one while mounting all four tires, so I would expect that a dealership would have the expertise as well. I also told him that the car didn't have run-flat tires and that dealerships always tell everyone that to get them to buy the tire and wheel warranty. He disagreed saying that is the reason there is no spare tire.

Annnnnyways.... he finally conceded and replaced my wheel (I asked for the purchase receipt and part #), so you should do the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
burakkose
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbook View Post
I had my car at the dealer getting a new tire on one of my GTS wheels because I got a nail in it and have the wheel and tire warranty. I get a call over 2 hours later saying "I have some bad news... they scratched your wheel mounting the tire".

I went to the dealer and he told me he would have it repaired for me. I told him that I bought the wheel warranty in case I scratched my wheels, not if they did and that I wanted it replaced. He began to argue with me saying that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I told him if I was ever to sell the wheels I would have to disclose that it was repaired to the buyer to which he responded "no, you legally don't have to. Would you tell a buyer about every little scratch and ding you ever had on your car if you sold it?". I told him I would hope someone would do the same for me regarding selling the wheel and that I wanted it replaced.

He told me that because of the style of the wheel and the fact that the M3 has RUN-FLAT tires... that every time you mount a tire, you are going to scratch the wheel. I told him when I bought the wheels that the guy never scratched one while mounting all four tires, so I would expect that a dealership would have the expertise as well. I also told him that the car didn't have run-flat tires and that dealerships always tell everyone that to get them to buy the tire and wheel warranty. He disagreed saying that is the reason there is no spare tire.

Annnnnyways.... he finally conceded and replaced my wheel (I asked for the purchase receipt and part #), so you should do the same.
Congrats to you my friend !!!
      07-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:

Which dealer was this? I'll be sure to avoid that service department.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
Jbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 FO M4

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Which dealer was this? I'll be sure to avoid that service department.
BMW of Mountain View. It's funny because I had just had my 30k mile service the week before this and the service was OUTSTANDING! They were quick, gave me shuttle rides to and from work, and were extremely easy to deal with. Every other time the car has been at the dealer they were great also. I forgot to mention that I told the guy to watch out for my front lip and he scraped it right in front of me before I even left the dealer.
Fire Orange F82 Built by Alekshop | Pure Stage 2 Turbos | Akrapovic Evolution and Downpipes | ESS T-500 Performance ECU Software | Evolution Racewerks Chargepipes | Gruppe M CAI | Awron Gauge w/ Valve Control | KW Clubsport | Brembo GT 380 F&R | 19" BBS FI-R | BMW Performance Seats, Aero, and Steering Wheel | Vorsteiner Diffuser | IND Cosmetics
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

FYI the dealer is kind of right. Cars are damaged in transport and at ports all the time, and the dealers do not have to disclose repairs if they are under a certain dollar amount.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the feedback and stories guys. i am taking this all the way to the top at the dealer..

yes very furious, because this last week, i have had the following:
-oil leak and crank seal supposedly gone bad and replaced.
-Oil over filled by the dealer
-and now wheel curb scratch

I am sure i will be a little easier about the scratch in the morning, but i am still furious about all these happening by the dealer and in the span of 7-10 days only.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonem3 View Post
Thanks for the feedback and stories guys. i am taking this all the way to the top at the dealer..

yes very furious, because this last week, i have had the following:
-oil leak and crank seal supposedly gone bad and replaced.
-Oil over filled by the dealer
-and now wheel curb scratch

I am sure i will be a little easier about the scratch in the morning, but i am still furious about all these happening by the dealer and in the span of 7-10 days only.
while it sucks, your are still able to afford and drive an expensive car. Take it in stride, shit is gonna happen. You seem a little extreme w/ the "take it all way to the top" but good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; i3 rex; e46 M3 vert

Bummer and a pain that you have to deal with this.

Good news.... it's an easy fix.

Hopefully the dealership doesn't fight you on the when/who caused it because you took delivery and drove away.
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I'd be upset too if it were my car. Hopefully the dealer will take care of you.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
A bit of advice for everyone
Everytime you pick up the car from the dealer
Make sure to walk around it and check for any damage
I also check the steering wheel and driver side
The second you drive out of the dealer lot, there is a lot less pressure on them to replace any damage. They can always claim the damage happened outside the dealer

Last time I checked my steering wheel and they had damaged it
I got a free replacement performance (non-electronic) steering wheel
      07-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #15
HotIce
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

If you're furious over a small rash like that now, what are you going to do when stones from other cars tires start chipping your front end? Sue them? This car isn't an exotic by any means. Go drive it and I'm sure it'll make you forget all about that small blemish.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #16
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
The second you drive out of the dealer lot, there is a lot less pressure on them to replace any damage. They can always claim the damage happened outside the dealer

What kind of damage to your stock steering wheel? That would be the last part of a car that I would guess be damaged by a dealer
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #17
Rodgers
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 ZCP

It is your car. Not theirs. Period. If they were negligent they need to make it right. You handed over a pristine car and what was returned to you was not in the same condition. Ask them how they treat the customers who screw up the loaners and see what they say. They most certainly don't just say " aww shucks, those things happen".

Best of luck and sorry to hear about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
I would be upset too, if they would have scratched my wheel. There is NO excuse, PERIOD. I would have done the same thing and asked for a new wheel. Your car is new and everything that came with the car too. So if the wheel was scratched by the dealership, the wheel needs to be replaced by a new one.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
skins333
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 BMW M3 MR/21 X7 40i AW

Fwiw, I'd be furious too...they need to be much more careful. You may need to settle for wheel repair which is probably reasonable though.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
What kind of damage to your stock steering wheel? That would be the last part of a car that I would guess be damaged by a dealer
I had gone in to replace the peeling steering wheel trim under warranty
And I think the tech didn't know how to remove the trim , so he scratched the leather on the steering wheel around 8 o'clock
Checked the car out, saw the damage, spoke to my service advisor
She said I'm sorry, we'll replace the steering wheel for you
So I told her, instead of the dealer paying $850 for the original wheel
And then me paying $650 later to replace it with the performance one
Why don't you just install the psw, and you save $200, and I save $650
And we're both happy?
She said sure, that sounds like a fair deal to all
They ordered the psw, and I went in the next week to install it
      07-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #21
tbonem3
Private First Class
Rep

i know to many of you this might seem a big uproar over a tiny scratch, and scratches and dings will come sooner or later.

i already have a couple small rock chips from driving in the first few weeks, but when the damage comes from a driver that the dealer hires to transport cars withing their facility, then yes i am pissed.

I agree with kmarei about doing a complete walk thru around the car checking for any damage before leaving the dealer. I usually do that, but this time i guess i was too bussy talking with the service manager giving me a debrief and I just hoped in the car and drove off...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
lorinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3; i3 rex; e46 M3 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post

I thought I was the only person who inspects my car, tires and rims EVERY time it is out of my possession. Even if I valet park, etc. I do this for all of my cars.

I know, they are just objects... but, we all put our hard earned money in these things and what might be a "simple" ding to someone means that it will cost me a few bucks to fix, along with the time wasted that could be spent lounging at the pool, attending a car show, etc.
| 2011 M3 Sedan | Le Mans Blue | M-DCT | ZC2 | ZCP | ZP3 | Moonroof | Enhanced Premium Sound | Dinan exhaust | Dinan software | Dinan pulley | Dinan intake | Dinan pedals | Bimmian LED interior | Lux H8 V3 | WeissLicht PY24W LED | 20% tint | IND reflectors | IND front grills | IND key hole cover | IND hood vents | IND M5 mirror covers | Reus Systems audio | Verstraβe shifter paddles | BBS LM 20x9 et 15 and 20x10.5 et 15 | Hankook Ventus V12 255/30/20 and 295/25/20 | Red BBS Racing lug nut kit | H&R Sport springs |
Appreciate 0