BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions
View Poll Results: M3 or not
Buy the M3- you will be happy 53 84.13%
Don't buy the M3, go for something like Nissan G37 5 7.94%
Keep the Honda, no need to change ( I hate you if you choose this option ) 5 7.94%
Are you out of your mind???? 3 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

08-27-2013, 11:57 PM   #23
Stainless 45
Captain
Rep
Drives: Last of the V-8 Interceptors

Dude you're about to become a DOCTOR. Go buy an E9x while you still can!
Blue Thunder -2011 LeMans Blue e92 DCT, ZCP, European Delivery. BPM Stage II. Dinan 3.45 Rear. Borla/Encore Innovation Exhaust, LUX Angel Eyes, Forgestar F14's, Turner road armor. "Last of the V-8 Interceptors, a real piece of history..."
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #24
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

wtf if you can afford it why would you consider a honda. 1000 per year for maintenance seems low. thats monthly on tires and brakes. does nissan really make g37s? is this real life?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #25
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
wtf if you can afford it why would you consider a honda. 1000 per year for maintenance seems low. thats monthly on tires and brakes. does nissan really make g37s? is this real life?
Nissan G37
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #26
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD
I see in your profile pic you got lighter and bigger.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #27
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I see in your profile pic you got lighter and bigger.
yeah been on the program for a while. mostly beer and pizza, burritos mixed in as well.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #28
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

It took me years to save up for my dream car, the ///M3 2013 E92. That feeling is phenomenal and rewarding at the same time. The one thing I learned about being a bachelor (still am and no children) is that I have lots of mobility and potential personal growth and career development over the years. I was 10 times richer than when I was with my ex gf. Women are not cheap, especial the high maintenance ones. It maybe harder to get that dream car say if you had children or married and with a mortgage payment. whats that acronym again ..... YOLO!

The decision for me to buy my first BMW ///M3 was a no brainer. The first M3 with a V8 engine naturally aspirated. The most powerful production M3 ever and the last one too. I love the feel of the torque, the horse power, the sound of the engine, the handling, the performance without compromising the everyday practicality! And it looks damn sexy good and classy!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 01:53 AM   #29
M3ZCP6MT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 381 ///M3

Depends on your debt to income ratio after acquiring the M3 and having a real job. Do you have Future plans? Student loans? Saving for a house etc?

I would lease it if I were you. Lower payments and you have 3 years to decide if you want to keep the M3. If your payment is less than 10% of your net income, then go for it. I would keep your Honda as you might want to use it to go to places that you rather not with the ///M. Also, 25 mpg with the Honda is better than 13 mpg with the M3

That said, each time I drive my M3, I have a smile on my face. And even a short drive to the store has become a lot more exciting.

I am sure you will make the best choice.

I will contact you for medical advice when needed :

/// M3 + 6MT + ZCP + ///MPE = A Healthy Addiction ///
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 03:55 AM   #30
ruff1017
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 6speed

Set your career and finance first then get the car.
You can always buy M3
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #31
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanweezy View Post
You sound gay

That's messed up man.

To the OP, go for it man. You won't regret it. I could assure you of that
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #32
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

OP: welcome to the forum. Buy the M3 if you can afford it. You've got nowhere to go but up income-wise (unless ObamaCare destroys healthcare...but I digress). As others have said, you only live once and more importantly you are only YOUNG once. Make the most of it, even if its financially shaky. As long as you think you can reasonably handle it, do it. I've dreamed about owning an m3 since I was 18, got my E46 at 26, E92 at 29. Wouldn't have it any other way, who wants to be 40-50 when they get their first one? You can't even pick up young chicks anymore at that point (at least not without looking like a creeper)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #33
SterlingE55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 E55, 2012 Raptor

If your car is your destressor and brings you joy it would be remiss of you not to buy it. If you plan on having kids ever I would definitely buy the car now. Also wrap your tool. You don't want a minivan early.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #34
DATM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR / F06 M6

Garage List
If you're not gay don't get the M3 its a dick magnet not a chick magnet, but I guess that goes for most sports cars. I know you will not listen to my advice and get an M3 anyways , but be warned you will spend lots of money either on maintenance or mods (especially if you continue coming back to this forum). I just got my first M3 9 months ago (at age 28) and have put 25k+ in mods on the car.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention I bought a Honda to commute with a few months ago and drove it twice almost falling asleep on my commute to work. I have since sold it and just daily drive the M.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #35
rpl77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingE55
If your car is your destressor and brings you joy it would be remiss of you not to buy it. If you plan on having kids ever I would definitely buy the car now. Also wrap your tool. You don't want a minivan early.
Not sure why people think that you can't have an m3 when you get married or have kids. I have two kids, and my 4 yr old son loves my car! If you have >3 kids, then maybe it's a different story since you can't fit the whole family in the ride. But 1-2 kids, no problem.
      08-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #36
RD1M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JZB E92 M3

Repeating what's already been said- if you can afford one, definitely pick up an M. You sound like you're doing well financially, with no student loans to pay off, no family to support, and wrapping up residency where you've got a high future earning potential. Obviously you'll have to determine whether you've got other financial committments, but assuming not, pick up a one or two year old M or a CPO that will give you the warranty coverage you want, and keep the Honda for your beater, so the cost of ownership on the M won't be quite as high if you're not DD'ing it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #37
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techjunkie666 View Post
I'm glad you asked a group of guys/girls who are totally not biased towards a M3.

If you want to buy a M3, you better do it soon the v8 m3 is going fast. do you want the v8 m3 or the new M4? you didnt mention that.

Not sure of the vert. Have always driven a coupe so I am partial towards a coupe. But maybe you all can chime in on the differences between a coupe and vert handling? I am really not going to track my car for sure. Might pay and track the cars they have here which includes porsches and BMW's!
I seriously dont understand people who will never track their m3s. You wont be abusing it on the track at all. You dont have to go all the time but wouldnt you want to enjoy and explore its capabilities every now and then? Its pretty boring driving this thing around town. Every time i do hammer it, im always wondering, is their popo around the corner??
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #38
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingE55
Not sure why people think that you can't have an m3 when you get married or have kids. I have two kids, and my 4 yr old son loves my car! If you have >3 kids, then maybe it's a different story since you can't fit the whole family in the ride. But 1-2 kids, no problem.
I dont either. I have an e90 but even if i did have a coupe it wouldnt matter. Thats what HER car is for lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #39
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Just buy it already. I switched from a Honda right of residency. Worth it. Whatever other compromise you have to make, just buy the fucking car.

Don't listen to the practical old foggeys. It's easy to make those comments when you already have one. You could die tomorrow. In fact, if you don't buy the M3, you WILL die tomorrow because I'm coming after you!

Do it! Do it now!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #40
shu5892001
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: GS-F

BUY IT, or else you will not stop thinking about it until you get one. M3 was my dream car since high school, I am now 24, 2 years after graduating University I finally got my dream E90 M3. I did think about the babies, wife and family stuff and bought a Scion FRS (Economy car) last year but I still couldn't stop thinking about the m3, so I pulled the trigger this year and lost a good few thousand when trading the FR-S. I should of just bought the M3 in the first place!
      08-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #41
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl77 View Post
+1, My 5-year old son loves the M3. 'Daddy, go faster!'
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #42
N1tr0gen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3Vert

You should only consider the financial liability. You'll far exceed the 1000 extra expenditures in gas alone.

BUT if you are ok with it, all rest put aside go and get one.

Also, this is like the worst forum to ask for such advice :P
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #43
rpl77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl77 View Post
+1, My 5-year old son loves the M3. 'Daddy, go faster!'
That's what she said :
      08-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #44
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

It's tough to give you reasonable advice without knowing more of your financial picture (which I completely understand you not wanting to broadcast, but it still poses a difficulty), but when I got my M3 I was already in a well-paying job, living in Austin with much lower cost of living than SF where I'd been previously, no debts of any kind, and living with my then-fiancee now-wife and thus enjoying the benefits of a dual-income household. I personally would advise AT LEAST waiting until you're locked into a job rather than still in training and merely expecting that you'll get a job of a certain income; that would probably help with your loan too. The only point of comparison to you I have is a friend of mine who just started his internship at UT Southwestern having graduated from Case Western recently, and I have to say I was surprised how little doctors make that early on. An M3 on his income plus his debts wouldn't be viable, and I can't even imagine what his malpractice insurance would be like if he went on his own. But I don't know how that compares to your field and career stage.

I'll give you two other ideas to consider. The first is as someone else mentioned, unless you're totally sure you can afford a new one (unlikely given the existence of this thread), try to find one that's a year old or maybe two so you still have a good chunk of the warranty and Ultimate Service left but have dodged the steep initial depreciation. And the second idea you might disregard since the M3 has been your dream for a while, and hell that may even be the right decision if you'd never be happy with anything else regardless of practical concerns, but I'll say it anyway. In my mind the M3 doesn't justify its much higher true cost of ownership (purchase, maintenance/repair, insurance, gas, etc) over the 335i UNLESS you factor in track performance. Does that mean the M3 is no better than a 335i on the road? Of course not, road driving is still more enjoyable in an M3 -- but in my opinion not by enough that would justify the price premium if that's the only type of driving you'll be doing. When you go to the track you see why the M3 is worth every red cent, partly because the track in general is so fun and partly because the M3 just shines so brightly in that environment that no road performance could hope to compare. But the M3 vs 335i argument is even stronger if you don't even have any fun canyon/country roads to drive where you could at least get a glimpse of the M3's true character. If your driving will be purely city streets and freeways, you're completely wasting your money and a great car IMHO -- but if you bought something else and couldn't enjoy it because you were still fixated on an M3, I suppose you'd be wasting money there too. All that said, clearly a lot of people disagree with the above looking at how many M3s are driven exactly that way and whose owners seem satisfied that they're getting their money's worth, though I suspect those people would change their mind in a heartbeat after a single track day where they got to see how much more fun they could have for their money. Everyone who's actually ever gone to the track and posted about it seems to have.

Good luck OP.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 08-28-2013 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0