BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-27-2014, 12:58 AM   #23
iron_man
do you even lift?
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Am I the only one that is faster with traction control off than on haha. I'm about 3 seconds a lap faster.
      09-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #24
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_man View Post
Am I the only one that is faster with traction control off than on haha. I'm about 3 seconds a lap faster.
No, you're not alone... DSC off is definitely faster at a certain level of driving capability.

Not suggesting everyone should go DSC off, or MDM isn't liberal enough to have some fun. Euro MDM especially I assume.

But if you have a chance to safely experiment with DSC off at the track, just do it. So lovely. That absolute and direct connection with the rear wheels is $. Gives you another level of appreciation for the throttle response, chassis, diff, just the car as a whole.

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 11:07 AM   #25
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

10 minutes ago Euro MDM kept me 8" from the Armco rather than going into it at about 60 MPH sideways -- driver's side. I'm at CotA and, as I found out after my incident, someone was dripping oil all along the track. I didn't see it, and when I turned into Turn 4, my car rotated abruptly and kept going along its previous trajectory. I don't think there's any way I could have avoided a wreck had DSC been off under the circumstances. Instead, MDM killed my sideways momentum just fast enough to keep my car safe (lucky for me a computer can brake individual wheels!), and then I rolled into the gravel pit and had to wait for a tow because the gravel was too deep to get any traction.

On a related note, take those tech inspections seriously, people! It's not just about you out there.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #26
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
10 minutes ago Euro MDM kept me 8" from the Armco rather than going into it at about 60 MPH sideways -- driver's side. I'm at CotA and, as I found out after my incident, someone was dripping oil all along the track. I didn't see it, and when I turned into Turn 4, my car rotated abruptly and kept going along its previous trajectory. I don't think there's any way I could have avoided a wreck had DSC been off under the circumstances. Instead, MDM killed my sideways momentum just fast enough to keep my car safe (lucky for me a computer can brake individual wheels!), and then I rolled into gravel pit and had to wait for a tow because the gravel was too deep to get any traction.

On a related note, take those tech inspections seriously, people! It's not just about you out there.
That is an excellent reason for driving with MDM on. Glad you are ok. Sometimes there's not much you can do in those situations but try and minimize the damage/injury to yourself and others....

I'm never going to race, Euro MDM is fine with me...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 10:32 PM   #27
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I guess it is all a question of personal preference.

I for one preferred the Sport throttle adjustment on my E92. It felt more natural, direct and linear compared to the Normal setting which I found to be artificially dampened.

As for MDM, I am a strong believer than one can only properly learn how to drive when DSC is fully off. Even MDM keeps doing minute interventions even if the light in the cluster is not flashing. See that great video from Ti-Jean that shows how much Euro MDM actually applies the brakes. I have ridden with way too many students that overdrive their cars and rely on the nannies to keep things in check. That being said, there is nothing wrong with using MDM or DSC in specific driving condition (ex in heavy rain). However, one always needs to be aware that driving without the aids does increase risks.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 10:56 PM   #28
Sinful
Banned
Rep
Drives: Its black and has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple M View Post
"Older generation?" damn, now I feel old
Ditto, I knew who that was too
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #29