BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Need help recommending 3 mods for 09 DCT

Hey guys,

Looking for advice on three moderate mods for my soon to be delivered 09 DCT sedan.

I am thinking ECU, pulley, and catback exhaust.

AA comes to mind for all three products. I have read great things about their stuff. However, I can't get the looks and weight savings of the Vorsteiner titanium system off my mind.

I want the exhaust to be a little more authoratative and free flowing, yet NO DRONE. The AA and Vorsteiner get raves in that regard, no?

I'd like to pick up at least 30HP from the mods..... I'd also like to stay under $5K. Or if I stick with AA, quite a bit less.

Any advice on how changing the mufflers may effect the stock warranty? I understand about the pulley and I think the ECU is virtually undetectable if I am in for a basic service. No?

Anyone with the same setup? I'd like to hear about dyno numbers and track times... I run 93 octane in Jersey fwiw.

I did search the forums and have been reading all sorts of great reviews. I thought it would be helpful to specifically hear from people who have this exact trio of mods.

Thanks!

Last edited by dogears; 01-01-2009 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

For the muffler, unless they can prove that it has directly effected something they can't void your warranty completely. But I think they can void the warranty for your exhaust though im not completely sure
      01-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

1) A manual trans
2) A manual trans
3) A manual trans

J/K

I would get the Dinan diff if you dont mind spending the cash. Its less than 5k and will make a bigger difference than any of the mods your talking about.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
Hey guys,

Looking for advice on three moderate mods for my soon to be delivered 09 DCT sedan.

I am thinking ECU, pulley, and catback exhaust.

AA comes to mind for all three products. I have read great things about their stuff. However, I can't get the looks and weight savings of the Vorsteiner titanium system off my mind.

I want the exhaust to be a little more authoratative and free flowing, yet NO DRONE. The AA and Vorsteiner get raves in that regard, no?

I'd like to pick up at least 30HP from the mods..... I'd also like to stay under $5K. Or if I stick with AA, quite a bit less.

Any advice on how changing the mufflers may effect the stock warranty? I understand about the pulley and I think the ECU is virtually undetectable if I am in for a basic service. No?

Anyone with the same setup? I'd like to hear about dyno numbers and track times... I run 93 octane in Jersey fwiw.

I did search the forums and have been reading all sorts of great reviews. I thought it would be helpful to specifically hear from people who have this exact trio of mods.

Thanks!
Congrats on the new car. PM has been sent.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Could also try the Gruppe M intake with some of the other ECU and exhaust mods that should yield you those 30+ bhp!
      01-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

For best bang for buck this is the order I'd do stuff in...

1. Dinan 3.62 Diff
2. Crank Pulley
3. ECU remap
4. Down Pipe with Sports Cats
5. Catback Exhaust

Of course if you were going to do all of the above, if possible, it would be a good idea to get the ECU remapped for the entire setup (i.e. taking into account all of the modifications, particularly the down pipe)...

If I had to choose between catback exhaust or down pipe because of budget and my criteria was performance (not sound), the down pipe would be the way to go and they both cost a similar amount (assuming AA brings out the sports cat version soon)...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I think you are on the right path with the pulley,software and exhaust upgrade. As far as the exhaust goes you cant go wrong with ours... it replaces the restrictive factory piping and is completely bolt on.

For those of you looking for High Flow Cat options. They are available and we have began shipping. Visit out X Pipe thread for more details.
Appreciate 0