BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

09-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Noise with Vorshlag Camberplates - Where does it come from?

Ever since I had Vorshlag Camberplates installed in my car, I get a distinct "screeching" noise when I drive over small bumps or turn the steering wheel. It seems to become more pronounced after a spirited drive.

The install of the camberplates seemed pretty straightforward, so I wonder where this noise would come from?
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Not normal. Something must be quite loose. Did a shop install them or did you? Mine are silent with a nice solid thump over bumps, similar to oem but slightly more pronounced.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

There could be two things, if its not loose top strut nut it has to be a spherical ball joint of the plate or both plates.
I know because i had both of those problems on my 135i and after rebuilding vorshlag plates twice, i got rid of them and now i have ground control c. plates
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
gan1hck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

mine are silent both on the street and on the track
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep

A shop installed them. Anyway to check what's wrong without actually removing them?
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Were they brand new or used? If new, probably an installation error. If used, the ball joint might be mucked up
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep

I bought them used. Damn it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

No noise at all with mine but in Vorshlag's install guide they say that most noise problems are caused by a loose top nut, which they insist has to be buzzed onto the threads with an AIR impact gun. Fortunately, the top nuts are (obviously) at the top and therefore very easy to get to. However, even though they're easily reachable, I don't know if it's ok to take the nuts off and buzz them back on while the struts are installed; the install guide has you do that while the strut is still in a spring compressor. I'd call Vorshlag and ask whether that's possible, and if so whether the wheels should be lifted or on the ground, etc. They've always been helpful when I've called them with random questions.

Ball joint would definitely be the next most likely explanation, but Vorshlag makes a big deal that they're supposed to last a long time even under heavy workloads, so I'd be surprised if that was it.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #9
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
No noise at all with mine but in Vorshlag's install guide they say that most noise problems are caused by a loose top nut, which they insist has to be buzzed onto the threads with an AIR impact gun. Fortunately, the top nuts are (obviously) at the top and therefore very easy to get to. However, even though they're easily reachable, I don't know if it's ok to take the nuts off and buzz them back on while the struts are installed; the install guide has you do that while the strut is still in a spring compressor. I'd call Vorshlag and ask whether that's possible, and if so whether the wheels should be lifted or on the ground, etc. They've always been helpful when I've called them with random questions.

Ball joint would definitely be the next most likely explanation, but Vorshlag makes a big deal that they're supposed to last a long time even under heavy workloads, so I'd be surprised if that was it.
That makes perfect sense. I was at the shop when they installed them, and they definitely did not use an air impact gun to tighten the nuts!

I'll contact Vorshlag to see what I can do now.

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

^ Bummer, good luck with getting it fixed though! I always give the shop installation instructions for aftermarket stuff I'm having them put on. Even though the shop I use is great, it's always good to have instructions as a sanity check and/or in case are specific things about the particular kit I have.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0