BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

08-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
ctown113
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Garage List
2009 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
best way to lower my car?

wtup..seeking some advice..kind of new at this..
currently riding on oem 18's in an 09' m3 coupe.. just ordered 19" m6 reps
(i know, i could've gotten better wheesl, but i just didnt wana go too flashy)
with 245/35/19 in the front and 265/35/19 in the rear...so here's the thing:
i know when i throw these new wheels on , i'll prob need to drop my car for it to look "proper", no? and if i were to drop it, what would be the best way w/o goin crazy on it? should i just buy springs? or a kit? what do you guys recommend? i'd really appreciate some advice nothing to pricey btw..

thanks a mil! i'll post the pics when i get them..prob 4th week of this month~
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlton113 View Post
wtup..seeking some advice..kind of new at this..
currently riding on oem 18's in an 09' m3 coupe.. just ordered 19" m6 reps
(i know, i could've gotten better wheesl, but i just didnt wana go too flashy)
with 245/35/19 in the front and 265/35/19 in the rear...so here's the thing:
i know when i throw these new wheels on , i'll prob need to drop my car for it to look "proper", no? and if i were to drop it, what would be the best way w/o goin crazy on it? should i just buy springs? or a kit? what do you guys recommend? i'd really appreciate some advice nothing to pricey btw..

thanks a mil! i'll post the pics when i get them..prob 4th week of this month~
Wrong section, this should be in the Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis section....

On to the question. From your post I assume this is cosmetic only and you don't canyon carve, autox, ors track it. Well, if this is just for looks probably Eibach--cheap and there's a debate on whether it improves or doesn't improve handling. H&R spring really don't pan out well for folks from what I've read. If you want a functional set-up with a modest drop and some improvements in handling, then Dinan. And for the record this is all IMO and there are many others who will weight in with very different ideas. I'm not claiming to be an expert, and I'm struggling right now with what to do in terms of suspension mods to achieve my desired handling improvement goals.

Please look around the suspension section as there's endless dicussion on this and you'll find all the opinions and facts you need. Here's an especially good thread to start with: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360300
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
ctown113
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
whoops..will keep that in mind next time.. and thanks for the advice Finnegan headed to that thread right now~
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
whoops..will keep that in mind next time.. and thanks for the advice Finnegan headed to that thread right now~
It's cool. We've all made that mistake before.... I'm sure the mods will move it.

Glad I could point you in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Inexpensive lowering... Don't put air in your tires, that will lower you a good 3-4 cm.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Sorry, Just Can't Resist

Get some football player (ideally 300 lb linemen) buddies and hall them around in your car (provided you can squeeze them in). That should make it nice and low. Alternatively, the Eibach springs are the way to go if you still want a decent ride. Dinan is very good too, but at a much higher cost.
      08-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
ctown113
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
LOL !! no thanks on the football player thing...
but i just did some research and am getting mixed responses as to which wat to go.. meaning, maybe it's just better to lower it all bring that i commute to NYC 4x a week.. most people are saying that the ride will be harsher than it already is..even in comfort mode.
just for the record, the springs wont mess with the EDC?? maybe even just causing the warning to beep?
nice ride btw, are those 19" m310's? those were my 2nd choice.. in which i actually have until Monday to make my final decision before my tires arrive to the store~
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
nice ride btw, are those 19" m310's? those were my 2nd choice.. in which i actually have until Monday to make my final decision before my tires arrive to the store~
Those are RAC RG63s.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Honestly, you're new wheels and tires are the same size as the OEM 19s so if you don't lower it won't really look too strange. But if you're dead set on lowering, Eibach seems to be the best way to do it cheap while still maintaining a comfortable ride. Someone else said that the handling improvement from the Eibachs is negligible which I somewhat agree with. I do notice a little less brake dive and lighter steering. I also notice that the car feels less bouncy when in the sport EDC mode with the Eibachs.
      08-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
ctown113
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
i'm hoping thats the case... i just keep picturing a biga$$ gap in between the tire and wheel well looking all stupid..lol
as for you riding on eibachs, i asked before.. it didnt mess with your EDC at all? not even the sensor? just making sure..

off the record..this forum doesnt have a mobile App? cuz i'm hooked!!!

this site is the SH*T!!! thank you all for the info and still all ears for anymore feedback!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

+1 for eibach

go dinan if you have the money to burn, but not worth it IMO
      08-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
leeor
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Blue Prius III

cut your springs
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #14
leeor
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Blue Prius III

jk dont do that

Eibach, H&R, or RD Sport springs.

get some flashy wheels off me
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i'm hoping thats the case... i just keep picturing a biga$$ gap in between the tire and wheel well looking all stupid..lol
as for you riding on eibachs, i asked before.. it didnt mess with your EDC at all? not even the sensor? just making sure..

off the record..this forum doesnt have a mobile App? cuz i'm hooked!!!

this site is the SH*T!!! thank you all for the info and still all ears for anymore feedback!
No effect on EDC.
      08-14-2010, 10:28 PM   #16
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Yeah, EDC is going to be okay with Eibachs. But if anything breaks, you know it's on your dime with any suspension mods right? Someone just had a rear trailing arm break after installing springs and BMW wouldn't cover it. Did the springs cause it? Probably not, but the point is you have to pay to play.

While expensive, Dinan provides warranty coverage (yes guys, I'm aware that if anything goes wrong BWM and Dinan will duke it out and we're in the middle).

More importantly perhaps is that Dinan addresses the issues of suspension travel (front and rear). They modify the bump stops and perches, thereby preserving the amount of suspension travel. A simple spring kit like Eibach will not do that. (BTW, H&R seems to be the harshest ride from the posts I see; Eibach users are much happier....)

Now, is that worth anything? To me it is, but as with everything to each his own.

Oh, and the site doesn't have a mobile app I'm aware of. I just use Safari on my Iphone.

Last edited by Finnegan; 08-15-2010 at 02:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #17
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Yeah, EDC is going to be okay with Eibachs. But if anything breaks, you know it's on your dime, right? Someone just had a rear trailing arm break after installing springs and BMW wouldn't cover it. Did the springs cause it? Probably not, but the point is you have to pay to play.

While expensive, Dinan provides warranty coverage (yes guys, I'm aware that if anything goes wrong BWM and Dinan will duke it out and we're in the middle).

More importantly perhaps is that Dinan addresses the issues of suspension travel (front and rear). They modify the bump stops and perches, thereby preserving the amount of suspension travel. A simple spring kit like Eibach will not do that. (BTW, H&R seems to be the harshest ride from the posts I see; Eibach users are much happier....)

Now, is that worth anything? To me it is, but as with everything to each his own.

Oh, and the site doesn't have a mobile app I'm aware of. I just use Safari on my Iphone.
That was me that had me trailing arm break. I'm not sure if you have any affiliation with Dinan but you sure do a good job of advertising for them. Unfortunately, I don't think even Dinan's so called warranty would have helped in my situation. After going through everything, I don't think the Eibach springs caused the failure however, BMW's stance is that the modified springs voids the entire suspension warranty so that was that. Like you said, you gotta pay to play so be prepared to take responsibility for any mods you make to the car. That's the only sure thing when it comes to mod.
      08-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #18
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
That was me that had me trailing arm break. I'm not sure if you have any affiliation with Dinan but you sure do a good job of advertising for them. Unfortunately, I don't think even Dinan's so called warranty would have helped in my situation. After going through everything, I don't think the Eibach springs caused the failure however, BMW's stance is that the modified springs voids the entire suspension warranty so that was that. Like you said, you gotta pay to play so be prepared to take responsibility for any mods you make to the car. That's the only sure thing when it comes to mod.
No affiliation with Dinan. I wish I did, 'cause I'm on the fence with going that way or KW V3s, and if I had an affliation I'd be able to get a deal that would probably make the decision for me. There's a lot to consider--and I like to think things through.... and through, and through....

You're right, I don't think in your case the springs caused the issue; nor do I think a "warranty" would have made a difference. The Dinan warranty isn't some magic ticket, and folks who've run into issues have not had an easy time getting to a resolution (again, based on posts I've read, not personal experience). The take away point which we've both made is that when you mod you go into it with your eyes wide open as to who may have to foot the bill.

In Charlton's case, if he's after a drop only, and wants a good deal and a good ride the Eibach kit probably fits the bill. I know there are folks who will swear that the Eibachs improve handling, and I'm not saying they don't. At the worst, from the feedback I've read I think the result is fairly neutral, and that's a good result.

On the other hand, I do think it's fair to say that many H&R users have not been happy with the results and end up either with Eibach, RD Sport, Dinan, or eventually a coilover kit.

Last edited by Finnegan; 08-15-2010 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 01:21 AM   #19
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I do think it's fair to say that many H&R users have not been happy with the results and end up either with Eibach, RD Sport, Dinan, or eventually a coilover kit.
The issues with H&R are definitely well documented here. I'd say if you're looking for something on the conservative side, go Eibach. Something with a more aggressive drop, RD Sport. If you want to really improve the handling, go with a coilover.

I'm happy with the Eibachs and I can't imagine dropping it anymore since I'm already scraping driveways.
      08-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #20
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Do you have any good photos showing your drop? I just ordered the Eibachs and am wondering how much it will really drop it.
      08-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #21
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzM3 View Post
Do you have any good photos showing your drop? I just ordered the Eibachs and am wondering how much it will really drop it.
Here you go

08-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #22
DadzM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Thanks. That is perfect. Exactly what I was hoping it would look like.