BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
Gr330zhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/BLK

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
New tire time

What's up everyone

So it's almost time to put my 19s back on and remove the winter wheels. Looking at some new tires. Most likely go with the Pilot Super Sport, my favorite tires. So, I have stock Competition package suspension and not planning on modifying that, had my suspension fun in my E46. What's the widest rear tire I can install and wheel spacer combination to not rub. Was thinking of maybe going up to 275? Or 285? Maybe I won't do spacers though. Just trying to see what my options are for sizes

Thanks!

2012 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:10 AM   #2
d0o0fy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
I run 255/35F-275/35R in PSS and it works perfectly, without spacers, on ZCP suspension and wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

295's in the rear look so much better.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

275/35 is perfect. There is no need to put a bigger tire on the car it just doesn't need it. IMO 295 is too big for a 10" wheel also.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
Gr330zhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
So why does tirerack say I need to run a 255 front with a 275 rear? Is that really necessary? Not Awd obviously

2012 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

There's this tire/wheel section here that has all your answers.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #7
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
295 looks fine on a 10 inch wheel. Some pics around with ZCP with 295 on back looks good, im running 315 on a 10.5 looks good as well.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr330zhp View Post
So why does tirerack say I need to run a 255 front with a 275 rear? Is that really necessary? Not Awd obviously
Because things like DSC and ABS look at relative wheel speed and are programmed based on the expected difference in rolling diameter for the stock tire size setup -- so if you change that difference significantly, those sensors won't be as effective. Increasing tire width while keeping the same aspect rating makes the tire taller, which in turn increases its rolling diameter. Increasing only the rear size would also shift the handling balance of the car more toward understeer, which is already fairly pronounced on the stock setup -- most people try to REDUCE understeer. And increasing tire size in general (front and/or rear) also increases ride height and tire roar, and adds rotating, unsprung weight, the worst kind. That increased weight can mean reduced ride quality (though in this case the impact of the additional weight might be cancelled out by the added comfort from the thicker sidewall), and it will definitely mean REDUCED performance in all scenarios where the stock tire size would have provided sufficient traction. All of that is why I don't see the point of increasing rear tire size unless you either a) have a supercharger, b) care more about acceleration from a dead stop than anything else, or c) just want the looks. For anything else, you'd probably be better served by getting stickier tires rather than larger ones, and chances are you'd also want to adjust your front tire size in addition to your rears -- or perhaps even instead of.

But if you're determined, 255 PSS in the front will fit to match your 275 rear. However, tires that are known to run wide for their rated sizes might rub. For example, the Yokohama AD08 and AD08 Rs run roughly 10mm wider than their rating suggests. I actually ran a 255 PSS in the front with the stock rear because I thought that increasing just the front would dial out more of the built-in understeer at the track and reduce the premature sidewall wear I'd been seeing without unnecessarily adding more unsprung weight in the rear. I didn't encounter any DSC/ABS issues, and it did help a bit on the first part but not at all on the second, so I'm now on AD08 Rs in stock sizes front and rear, which in terms of size is essentially a 255/275 PSS setup. Too early to tell whether the stiffer sidewall on these solves my premature wear issue.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 03-23-2015 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squartus View Post
295 looks fine on a 10 inch wheel. Some pics around with ZCP with 295 on back looks good, im running 315 on a 10.5 looks good as well.
10" is the smallest wheel that is allowed for a 295 PSS, which means that in addition to potentially creating a "muffin top" look where the sidewall bulges out between the wheel rim and the top of the tire, you can end up with handling consequences from having a shifty sidewall. Of course if you're just going for looks, maybe the latter doesn't matter to you, but that's why you want your wheel size to fall roughly in the middle of a given tire's acceptable wheel sizes, not on one extreme or the other.

Gone but not forgotten:

Last edited by jphughan; 03-23-2015 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 12:28 PM   #10
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
this question never ceases to amaze me. like seriously WOW
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
squartus
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2010 E92 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
10" is the smallest wheel that is allowed for a 295 PSS, which means that in addition to potentially creating a "muffin top" look where the sidewall bulges out between the wheel rim and the top of the tire, you can end up with handling consequences from having a shifty sidewall. Of course if you're just going for looks, maybe the latter doesn't matter to you, but that's why you want your wheel size to fall roughly in the middle of a given tire's acceptable wheel sizes, not on one extreme or the other.
Pics it runs almost flush, no bulge or muffin top at all.
Here is one guys pics with 295pss on a 10inch ZCP, fits fine.

Here is my 10.5 with 315 fits fine.

4.4L LC stroker/ESS VT2-625/Volk te37 sl's/AA exhaust/DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft/ARH Headers.. etc
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #12
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Quote:
Because things like DSC and ABS look at relative wheel speed and are programmed based on the expected difference in rolling diameter for the stock tire size setup -- so if you change that difference significantly, those sensors won't be as effective. Increasing tire width while keeping the same aspect rating makes the tire taller, which in turn increases its rolling diameter. Increasing only the rear size would also shift the handling balance of the car more toward understeer, which is already fairly pronounced on the stock setup -- most people try to REDUCE understeer. And increasing tire size in general (front and/or rear) also increases ride height and tire roar, and adds rotating, unsprung weight, the worst kind. That increased weight can mean reduced ride quality (though in this case the impact of the additional weight might be cancelled out by the added comfort from the thicker sidewall), and it will definitely mean REDUCED performance in all scenarios where the stock tire size would have provided sufficient traction. All of that is why I don't see the point of increasing rear tire size unless you either a) have a supercharger, b) care more about acceleration from a dead stop than anything else, or c) just want the looks. For anything else, you'd probably be better served by getting stickier tires rather than larger ones, and chances are you'd also want to adjust your front tire size in addition to your rears -- or perhaps even instead of.

But if you're determined, 255 PSS in the front will fit to match your 275 rear. However, tires that are known to run wide for their rated sizes might rub. For example, the Yokohama AD08 and AD08 Rs run roughly 10mm wider than their rating suggests. I actually ran a 255 PSS in the front with the stock rear because I thought that increasing just the front would dial out more of the built-in understeer at the track and reduce the premature sidewall wear I'd been seeing without unnecessarily adding more unsprung weight in the rear. I didn't encounter any DSC/ABS issues, and it did help a bit on the first part but not at all on the second, so I'm now on AD08 Rs in stock sizes front and rear, which in terms of size is essentially a 255/275 PSS setup. Too early to tell whether the stiffer sidewall on these solves my premature wear issue.
Smart responses like yours never win here because people want fat tires broooooo. shake my head
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 04:07 PM   #13
81bear
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 - FDG

Quote:

Did you measure the spacing with these wheels mounted to determine that they are closer to 255/275 (PSS's) vs the actual rated 245/265? Or are you basing that on a general consensus of the forum (additional 10mm)? I ask because several tire professionals are saying the PSS's are a wider tire than the AD08R's when mounted.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #14
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81bear
Quote:

Did you measure the spacing with these wheels mounted to determine that they are closer to 255/275 (PSS's) vs the actual rated 245/265? Or are you basing that on a general consensus of the forum (additional 10mm)? I ask because several tire professionals are saying the PSS's are a wider tire than the AD08R's when mounted.
I rolled an unmounted 255 PSS up to an unmounted 245 AD08R. They were almost identical.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #15
Gr330zhp
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
So maybe run 275 and smaller spacer or just keep the 265 and do 10-12mm spacer all around?

2012 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #16
chitown18
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP

If you want 255/275 PSS on ZCP wheels + suspension, get 12f/10r spacers.

If you get stock 245/265 PSS, then you can do 15f/12r spacers or even 18f/15r according to some people.

See this thread where many asked the same question, responded to by EAS:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...262054&page=24
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 08:15 PM   #17
81bear
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 - FDG

Quote:
I rolled an unmounted 255 PSS up to an unmounted 245 AD08R. They were almost identical.
Yeah I've seen pics of these two tires in the same size unmounted and the AD08R's definitely look bigger. That's why I'm finding it hard to believe that the PSS's are the wider tire when mounted... I wonder if the weight of the car on the PSS's cause them to bulge more than the AD08R's and thats why, when mounted, they are considered a wider tire...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #18
drewnel22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81bear View Post
Yeah I've seen pics of these two tires in the same size unmounted and the AD08R's definitely look bigger. That's why I'm finding it hard to believe that the PSS's are the wider tire when mounted... I wonder if the weight of the car on the PSS's cause them to bulge more than the AD08R's and thats why, when mounted, they are considered a wider tire...
You can't really compare the tires unmounted. The sidewall and tire construction between the 2 tires is different and will behave slightly differently when mounted.
Appreciate 0