BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

05-01-2023, 03:01 PM   #1
weshascar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White E92 M3

Valved Exhausts in 2023

I am in the market for a valved exhaust and have been browsing all the threads I can find looking at the available systems. However, a lot of the comparison threads are dated and I can't find a good one comparing all of them together. A lot of systems have popped up in the last few years and I wanted a centralized place to compare them.

As a note, I am only going to include prices for the axleback version of each exhaust for easier comparison.

I am going to start by listing the exhausts that I believe are all identical, but rebranded:

GRWA Performance Exhaust System:
Price: $750 (I believe you have to order a sample to get just 1)
Valve Type: External Vacuum Box
Pros:
  • Cheap
  • Fairly positive reviews from what I have seen
  • Very quiet with valves closed
  • Solid valves open sound
Cons:
  • Increased back pressure with valves closed
  • Poor sound with valves closed
  • Essentially a straight pipe with valves open. Some don't consider this a con, but the system is essentially muffled or straight pipe
Exhaust Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-T4nPCmh8s&t=32s

Valvetronic Valved Sport Exhaust System (V2):
Valvetronic appears to have made a V2 of this exhaust. The call out they went back to a vacuum controller and that they "improved sound quality", but I have no idea what this means.
Price: $1999
Pros:
Cons:
  • I don't see any reason to get this over the GRWA, which is more than $1200 cheaper
  • Essentially a straight pipe with valves open. Some don't consider this a con, but the system is essentially muffled or straight pipe
Exhaust Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR6FQ7VgTuc

Bomiz Valvetronic Axleback for E9x M3:
Price: $2200
Valve Type: Electronic Valves
Pros:
Cons:
  • I don't see any reason to get this over the GRWA, which is more than $1200 cheaper
  • Electric Valves
Exhaust Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2gsgAd4XFs

ARMYTRIX Valvetronic Exhaust System:
I am throwing ARMYTRIX in this section based on what I know about them, but I may be wrong here, so please correct me.
Price: $3140
Pros:
  • More refined sound with valves closed than other systems I have seen
  • Nicer looking wireless remote
  • Phone app that connects with OBD interface, if you want to lose your OBD port.
Cons:
  • Increased back pressure with valves closed (I believe)
Exhaust Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETSO3eq_5lw

Alright, with the exhausts I believe to all be identical out of the way, time for the systems I believe are likely the best:

Kreissieg Cat-back F1 Sound Valvetronic Exhaust System:
From what I have heard and what I see on the forums, this is as good as it gets. Best sound valves open and closed.
Price: $5876
Valve Type: Electronic Valves
Pros:
  • People say this is the best
  • High pitched f1 type sound with valves open
  • Good valves closed sound
Cons:
  • Cheap looking wireless remotes. If you are paying 6k, you should get a nicer remote.
  • Electronic valves
  • The price...it hurts
Exhaust Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Q-ura4M5w

iPE Evo Valved Exhaust:
This appears to be a very similar design to ARMYTRIX
Price: 3-5k (They don't list prices online but this seems to be the range from what I can see)
Valve Type: Electronic Valves (I think)
Pros:
  • People say it's pretty good
  • High pitched f1 type sound with valves open
Cons:
  • Cheap looking wireless remotes. If you are paying 6k, you should get a nicer remote.
  • Electronic valves
Exhaust Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHOok51pjFc

MEISTERSCHAFT GTC Valved Exhaust:
Price: $2998
Valve Type: Vacuum Control (I believe you need to intercept an existing vacuum line as it doesn't include a separate pump)
Pros:
  • People say it's pretty good
  • Nice valves open sound
Cons:
  • Have to pay extra to get a wireless remote (See Wireless Remote ONE-TOUCH & Momentary Upgrade)
Exhaust Video:

E9X M3 Turner Motorsport Stainless Steel Valved Axle Back Exhaust:
Now this is where things get interesting. This exhaust should solve the back pressure issue. I think this is also one of the best sounding with the valves closed.
Price: $1150
Valve Type: Vacuum Control (You need to intercept an existing vacuum line as it doesn't include a separate pump)
Pros:
  • The price!
  • Nice valves open sound
  • One of the best sounding valves closed exhausts
  • Solves back pressure issue
Cons:Exhaust Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkk-I0dtMi0&t=165s

And lastly, it's time for the exhausts that have been discontinued:

Evolve E-Tronic Exhaust:
This exhaust seems very similar in design to the Turner system, almost giving you two mufflers. From what I have seen, this was one of the best choices for the E92 M3 and I have not found many people listing cons.
Valve Type: Vacuum Control (You need to intercept an existing vacuum line as it doesn't include a separate pump)
Pros:
  • Nice valves open sound
  • One of the best sounding valves closed exhausts
  • Solves back pressure issue
Exhaust Video:

My hope here is to compile an exhaustive list of valved systems for the e9x M3 as I don't think there exists a great comparison at the moment. As a disclaimer, all of the info here I have taken from my research from other forum posts. I have yet to purchase any of these systems for my car.

After putting this list together, I would rank the systems in the following order. I am considering overall value in my rankings as well. Kreissieg definitely sounds the best, but its by far the worst value:
  1. Turner
  2. MEISTERSCHAFT GTC
  3. GRWA
  4. iPE
  5. Kreissieg
  6. Valvetronic
  7. Bomiz
  8. ARMYTRIX

I would love to hear some feedback/thoughts on these rankings from other forum members who actually have these exhausts. I am hoping to keep this thread up to date to help people making a decision come to a conclusion.

I am hoping to pull the trigger on one of these systems soon! Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

2012 Alpine White E92 M3 Coupe w/ Fox Red Extended Leather
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 06:15 PM   #2
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you end up with the turner, it’s my opinion that you buy a vacuum pump off of Amazon/alibaba to power the exhaust valves instead of tapping into engine vacuum.

Less headaches and less lines running from the trunk to the engine bay. With the vacuum pump you can leave everything in the trunk and it operates the same way.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 08:51 PM   #3
GinTonic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

+1 to what Soden82 said.

I want to add my 2 cents regarding the Turner Exhaust minus what was discussed in that thread. Valves open or closed, that exhaust has a massive loss of back pressure. Going from OEM to Turner, I thought my head was messing with me but I didn't think much at the time. Last Sunday I installed test pipes, while my Turner exhaust was still installed. There was a slight bump in power but nothing to write about. Monday afternoon, my Supersprint Race exhaust showed up and installed it after work. The bump in mid range torque was significant enough that I though I was in a different car. This was all without a tune.

YMMV, but it would be interesting to see that exhaust on a dyno, catless or not / tune or no tune.
Appreciate 1
Soden82478.50
      05-02-2023, 01:37 AM   #4
weshascar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post
If you end up with the turner, it’s my opinion that you buy a vacuum pump off of Amazon/alibaba to power the exhaust valves instead of tapping into engine vacuum.

Less headaches and less lines running from the trunk to the engine bay. With the vacuum pump you can leave everything in the trunk and it operates the same way.
Did you end up choosing a specific pump from Amazon? Curious if there's a specific one people are going with.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 01:42 AM   #5
weshascar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinTonic View Post
+1 to what Soden82 said.

I want to add my 2 cents regarding the Turner Exhaust minus what was discussed in that thread. Valves open or closed, that exhaust has a massive loss of back pressure. Going from OEM to Turner, I thought my head was messing with me but I didn't think much at the time. Last Sunday I installed test pipes, while my Turner exhaust was still installed. There was a slight bump in power but nothing to write about. Monday afternoon, my Supersprint Race exhaust showed up and installed it after work. The bump in mid range torque was significant enough that I though I was in a different car. This was all without a tune.

YMMV, but it would be interesting to see that exhaust on a dyno, catless or not / tune or no tune.
Sounds like you are sticking with super sprint then?

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 06:09 AM   #6
Sublivion
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

I had the GRWA exhaust paired with a no cat/res x-pipe at one point. With the valves closed it was definitely quiet. Made my morning commute less obnoxious and my neighbors definitely appreciated it.

I went with the vacuum version so I had no issues with the controller failing/etc during my 1 year ownership.

Overall it wasn't a "bad" exhaust, but the sound profile I was looking for was just not there for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 08:20 AM   #7
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by no.turbos View Post
Did you end up choosing a specific pump from Amazon? Curious if there's a specific one people are going with.
They all seem to come from the same manufacturer in China. On alibaba it’ll take about a month to get and it’s $30 or so (then $30 to ship). On Amazon it takes about 3 weeks and they are about $90.
I can send you the link via DM if interested.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 08:22 AM   #8
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinTonic View Post
+1 to what Soden82 said.

What you brought up is interesting. I wonder if being supercharged it will change the amount of back pressure from the exhaust. I don’t necessarily want to leave power on the table if that’s the case.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 03:21 PM   #9
weshascar
Private First Class
Rep

Following some of the feedback from this thread, I reached out to MEISTERSCHAFT about the GTC exhaust. I am leaning heavily towards this as I hear good things about it and I like the sound from what I have seen online.

Interestingly, it appears GT Haus has shifted from a electronic valve design to GTC-VC. Similar to Turner, this system now requires you tap in to an existing vacuum line. I think buying a cheap vacuum pump is now the way to go here as well.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 03:40 PM   #10
EMKOOP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Won’t comment on any rankings since exhaust choice can be a highly subjective topic.. everyone will have a different preference or their own value perception on pitch/tone/noise level/drone/material/design/fit & finish/rarity/price point etc

I am lucky enough to have owned both the Power Craft and Kreissieg systems. No regrets here they have been both equally enjoyable in their own unique ways.

Feel free to see some photos/sound clips in the “exhaust” archive in my IG profile https://instagram.com/ddddrmmm?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
      05-02-2023, 05:15 PM   #11
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have the Turner exhaust and I like it a lot. I’ve had it paired with an AA Xpipe and also with test pipes; can’t go wrong with either setup IMO.

I’ve heard valvetronic in person and that sounded really nice with valves open; valves closed it sounded like a Camry to me, but once again, subjective.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 08:55 PM   #12
GinTonic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Just get the blue one from Amazon. It took 10 days for me to get it, and was shipped from California. I programed mine to the Homelink buttons. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
Sounds like you are sticking with super sprint then?
After two defective Turner exhausts, I'm not waiting for a miracle. Turner/ECS told me that it will be another year before a revised exhaust comes out. I've had the SS on for a week now and for me, it's a much more satisfying exhaust with a beautiful mid range tone that I now realize was missing on the Turner Exhaust. It's loud enough without being obnoxious, and one less button to press in a car with too many buttons that allow to change the user experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post
What you brought up is interesting. I wonder if being supercharged it will change the amount of back pressure from the exhaust. I don’t necessarily want to leave power on the table if that’s the case.
No idea, but its a good question for someone with more expertise in that area.

Last edited by GinTonic; 05-02-2023 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 01:27 AM   #13
SkiFly01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 comp pkg

Recently came across this brand, VE, for Valved Exhaust. From their videos, it looks promising.

https://valvedexhausts.ca/

comes in SS and Titanium and several tip options too.

Video of M3 with valves Open and Closed
      05-03-2023, 08:07 AM   #14
weshascar
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFly01 View Post
Recently came across this brand, VE, for Valved Exhaust. From their videos, it looks promising.

https://valvedexhausts.ca/

comes in SS and Titanium and several tip options too.

Video of M3 with valves Open and Closed
Interesting find! I think this probably falls in to the GRWA/Valvetronic bucket from what I can tell looking at it.

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 09:06 AM   #15
m3mirth
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

It’s interesting ARMYTRIX decided to overlap music over their exhaust video haha. Thanks OP for putting this together though.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 10:10 AM   #16
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW e92 M3 ZCP

With the exception of a few of these most are just rebranded chinese alibaba crap. I had one of these setups when I first bought my car and it was awful. Way too loud and obnoxious and valves closed sounded worse than stock.

I think valved exhausts can be done right but I have gone back to the good ole standard muffler.

*Edit: The evolve unit was probably the highest quality (made by supersprint) and had the most refined and clean sound. To my knowledge they are no longer made.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 10:12 AM   #17
weshascar
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone here have experience with MEISTERSCHAFT GTC? I have heard good things but not many people seem to be running it. I am tempted to pull the trigger, but hoping to hear from someone with it.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 09:12 PM   #18
nycplumber
Major
Rep
Drives: slow

Ive had my Armytrix for 5 years and use has always been flawless. It's paired with a quad resonated BW x pipe and I get compliments everytime I drive it.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 12:31 AM   #19
Tellmee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP AW/FR

I bought Alibaba exhaust that looks identical to bomiz. It was around 1150 shipped including a x pipe. 0 regrets. Car sounds amazing.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 10:10 PM   #20
CravingBavaria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [9.67]
Thought I'd bump this for anyone that comes across it in the future. A friend of mine did a group buy with GRWA a few years back and I got a vacuum valve stainless axleback from them.

First off, it is literally the same thing you would get from Bomiz, valvetronic, valvedexhausts.ca, etc., so there isn't really any reason to pay for one of these "branded" systems. GRWA doesn't put branding on so you get a cleaner look.

The stainless system was pretty much what you would expect by itself with a stock X. It sounded good with valves open, and was ridiculously quiet with them closed. I don't think I ever really drove the car with them closed since it sounded weird to me.

Fast forward to the next step, I got a resonated BW X with secondary HFC's, and this combo was HOT. The sound is amazing and I always got compliments from other E9X owners wanting to copy the setup. It has that F1-esque sound, not a Mustang throaty V8 sound that some other systems give. So basically, you have to pair the right X with GRWA's axleback if you want a really good sounding E9X. Here is this setup -

Now the final stage, last year I reached out to GRWA and ordered the exact same system, but in titanium. THIS, is the play. Even more of that F1-esque sound, lightweight, KILLER. I paid $2,350 with the titanium X included. I sold that to someone to make some money back since I'm never getting rid of the BW X (power gains are just too noticeable).

On the surface it might be a 'cheap' Chinese system, but getting a valved titanium axleback that looks really good and sounds as good as you would hope is way more worth it to me than spending $4k+ on the nicer systems. You just have to have the right X paired with it to get the best sound. My setup also doesn't drone, and has a little rasp, but the good kind. I also personally like the separate muffler look compared to the Turner look, so I've never had a reason to try something else out (and I REALLY like titanium now).

03-08-2024, 10:11 AM   #21
Motox331
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Hey Everyone, Sorry to awaken an old thread. I recently picked up a clean low milage E93 M3 and I'm looking to pick up a valved exhaust so I can hear that V8 sing. I've read through the whole thread and see people were able to get a GRWA system with the vacuum valves. I'm not seeing these listed on Alibaba. Can anyone hook up a new owner with a link or contact? Thanks in Advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 12:53 PM   #22
m3s65b4.x
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 6M/T

They can produce basically anything you desire in China, depends quality and amount and negotiation. Pay some extra money and they will happy to start production from standard, to custom design.
Appreciate 0