BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Non-EDC Settings?

Can you adjust the traction control (sport, normal, etc.) on a non-EDC car?

When I go to the settings in iDrive, I don't see anything other than M-key Power options as normal or sport. Am I doing something wrong?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post

When I go to the settings in iDrive, I don't see anything other than M-key Power options as normal or sport. Am I doing something wrong?
If you have the M button on the steering wheel then you have the options to change it, if not one setting fits all. I am sure other experts can chime in. I have idrive, EDC and M button on the steering wheels which gives you the option to play when I am bored.
      12-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
If you have the M button on the steering wheel then you have the options to change it, if not one setting fits all. I am sure other experts can chime in. I have idrive, EDC and M button on the steering wheels which gives you the option to play when I am bored.
No M button on mine, so I guess not. I still assumed that there were different settings for traction control, even if not immediately accessible from the m button.

By the way, I assume this means I can't change my steering settings either? Anyone have experience with a non-EDC car that can chime in on what I am potentially missing?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
No M button on mine, so I guess not. I still assumed that there were different settings for traction control, even if not immediately accessible from the m button.

By the way, I assume this means I can't change my steering settings either? Anyone have experience with a non-EDC car that can chime in on what I am potentially missing?
Im pretty sure Mike from BPM can code your car to have the M botton, it just uses the Radio button where the M button is on other M's.
      12-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
Im pretty sure Mike from BPM can code your car to have the M botton, it just uses the Radio button where the M button is on other M's.
But why would I want it if I couldn't adjust any settings? heh...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
But why would I want it if I couldn't adjust any settings? heh...
Im not sure what it all in tails, maybe it makes it where you can adjust other stuff like steering , you would have to ask Mike, i just remember reading that someone in your situation doing it and being happy.
      12-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
fbm3cab
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

It seems that your mixing up the Power options with the Traction control options and neither of these have anything to do with EDC.

Power options adjust your throttle response and should be adjustable with the button labeled POWER on the centre console by your shifter, there are two settings, normal and sport.

Traction control is adjusted by the button that is also on the centre console and it has a picture of a car and the spin out marks under it, this is either on or off and on cars with M-drive has a third setting called mdm that allows more slip, this feature is called DSC

EDC is for the suspension settings and if your car has this feature then that button is also in the centre console in between the power and traction buttons and is labeled EDC with two lights on it, the settings are comfort, normal and sport.

The settings you saw in the I-Drive are to allow you to setup a default to each key so that when you start the car with each key it automatically starts at them.

It sounds like your car doesn't have EDC or M-Drive

Check out your owners manual
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbm3cab View Post
It sounds like your car doesn't have EDC or M-Drive
Thanks, I think you are right. Does this mean I can't adjust the steering feel either?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes
Thanks, I think you are right. Does this mean I can't adjust the steering feel either?
On a car that doesn't have M Drive (i.e. no M button) you don't get Sport steering or MDM in any mode, but both can be retrofitted by Mike Benvo. It will require you to purchase a part (very easy install) and get software coding.

But wow, a car with iDrive but no M Drive is extremely rare because the cost of ordering nav standalone was $2K, by which time you may as well spring for the package that would also have gotten you EDC and other goodies. Although if you DO get the retrofit, at least you'll have a fully configurable M Drive. On cars with no iDrive, the M button enables MDM and Sport steering, and if those aren't the settings you want for your M Drive, then too bad.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

There are three throttle settings but i guess the third is only for m button cars and accessible only through idrive although its useless unless drifting lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #11
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
There are three throttle settings but i guess the third is only for m button cars and accessible only through idrive although its useless unless drifting lol.

Correct, Sport Plus throttle/power is only available in the M Drive vehicles.
      12-31-2013, 01:11 AM   #12
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

Sport plus power is useful when rev-matching IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 02:10 AM   #13
fbm3cab
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Thanks for the clarification Guys. I Had a momentarily lapse and forgot to mention the third Power setting of Sport Plus and I even have that set to my M setting.

EDC is yet another adjustment to play with. I like it most because when Im with the wife or on a extended cruise and want to chill with a smoother ride then the comfort setting tames the beast, Its also good to have the ability to crank it up to sport when hauling ass or going over speed bumps faster then you should, the stiffer setting at a moments notice can help to keep you from bottoming out.
Appreciate 0