BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #89
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Toyota Prius - C
You and I both know hookers can't fit in those trunks. Maybe the midget hookers tho. Perfect car to do 60 in the fast lane
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #90
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber V8 View Post
You and I both know hookers can't fit in those trunks. Maybe the midget hookers tho. Perfect car to do 60 in the fast lane
Look up Facebook group "left lane Prius"
      01-25-2017, 05:30 PM   #91
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Look up Facebook group "left lane Prius"
"The Washington State Patrol says troopers pulled over 14,000 people for left lane camping and wrote over 2,300 tickets."

Fuck. Yes. Moar please.

Awesome share btw!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 08:04 PM   #92
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
Interesting, when I drove the Mustang I knew immediately it wasn't for me because of the numb steering and suspension feel. Now that being said I would not cast that judgement on a GT350 until driving one.
Did you drive a performance package car? The one with 6MT only, completely unique shocks, springs, sways, wheels, tires, diff, gears, cooling, chassis bracing and Brembos?

It is definitely not a boat and when you combine it's dead sexy looks and bitchin' NA V8 motor it's easy to get swept off your feet..... at first. It's really fast and sounds awesome. Killer shifter, very badass car. It is the step between a regular cruiser GT and the 350 - the 'sport' model, if you will. The one that's as fast or faster than an E92 M3 on most tracks.

However - it lacks total calibration of any of its systems. And the worst parts, which I won't bore you with here, are not any different in the 350. I don't need to drive one to know that my car with super huge tires, zero weight loss, more power and a stiffer suspension would be a horrible street car. I could be wrong, of course, but I highly doubt it.

In any event, you're right - I should have noticed these things on the test drive and I didn't. This is a cautionary tale to not do what I did. Don't get sucked into the hype and track performance - none of that makes a great driving car.

Quote:
Sounds like your guys post are directed to me and my posting of lap times. If so, I hope you also read why I chose the 1LE. Pure. Driving. Satisfaction.

It's the most fun and engaging car I've had since my M3 and I even tried to want to get another 6MT M3, but this 1LE just takes the cake.

Speaking of cake, the icing on the cake is the 1LE ALSO happens to be faster than the M3 in a straight line and around a track. Remember, I get cars that are fun for ME first before any performance metric. Which is why I was tempted by believe or not a Focus RS.

EDIT: There's a saying, "don't knock it til you try it". I think that applies here. If one says I drove a 2015 SS 1LE and hated it so I'm pretty sure the 6th gen 1LE is the same would be "knocking".
Not at all. I'm convinced, from everything I've "read" that the current Camaro is light-years better than the current mustang in terms of chassis tuning. I didn't even consider it though, because I don't care for the styling.

I was merely responding to the general theme of the thread. You ask what's the best car under 50K and within minutes it turns into a comparison of track times. This is common, happens all the time, it's fun. But the reality is that track times don't mean jack shit when you're driving the car in the real world.

It's the classic Bimmer paradox - best driving road cars but never the best at any one thing. How can this be?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #93
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
I'd take a 2002 or older NSX over anything new currently on the market at under $50k.
      02-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #94
cognoscenti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 6MT ZCP MR

Congrats on the 1LE! That's an incredible value for the money, any way you slice it. I had a new SS (not a 1LE though) for a company car a little while last year, really enjoyed it - but my kids (young/not overweight) thought it was too small in the back!

Some of us still need sedans...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #95
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognoscenti View Post
Congrats on the 1LE! That's an incredible value for the money, any way you slice it. I had a new SS (not a 1LE though) for a company car a little while last year, really enjoyed it - but my kids (young/not overweight) thought it was too small in the back!

Some of us still need sedans...
Hey thanks man! Yea it's a bit tight for my daughter as well in the back, but the family rarely all rides in my car. However, when it's just me and my daughter she LOVES going for a cruise!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 01:23 AM   #96
o2wji
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Did you drive a performance package car? The one with 6MT only, completely unique shocks, springs, sways, wheels, tires, diff, gears, cooling, chassis bracing and Brembos?

It is definitely not a boat and when you combine it's dead sexy looks and bitchin' NA V8 motor it's easy to get swept off your feet..... at first. It's really fast and sounds awesome. Killer shifter, very badass car. It is the step between a regular cruiser GT and the 350 - the 'sport' model, if you will. The one that's as fast or faster than an E92 M3 on most tracks.

However - it lacks total calibration of any of its systems. And the worst parts, which I won't bore you with here, are not any different in the 350. I don't need to drive one to know that my car with super huge tires, zero weight loss, more power and a stiffer suspension would be a horrible street car. I could be wrong, of course, but I highly doubt it.

In any event, you're right - I should have noticed these things on the test drive and I didn't. This is a cautionary tale to not do what I did. Don't get sucked into the hype and track performance - none of that makes a great driving car.

Not at all. I'm convinced, from everything I've "read" that the current Camaro is light-years better than the current mustang in terms of chassis tuning. I didn't even consider it though, because I don't care for the styling.

I was merely responding to the general theme of the thread. You ask what's the best car under 50K and within minutes it turns into a comparison of track times. This is common, happens all the time, it's fun. But the reality is that track times don't mean jack shit when you're driving the car in the real world.

It's the classic Bimmer paradox - best driving road cars but never the best at any one thing. How can this be?
Eric: I followed your thread on M3forums when you were cross shopping the Mustang and E92M. Knowing what you know now, what would you have done differently?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #97
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2wji View Post
Eric: I followed your thread on M3forums when you were cross shopping the Mustang and E92M. Knowing what you know now, what would you have done differently?
Great question. Well, I wouldn't buy a Mustang no matter the specs. It is half-baked.

I am now shopping for an E9XM or another 46M (my wife drives the current 46M). I've been test driving numerous E9X's and honestly I'm disappointed. They are not the step up from the 46 I was expecting. They have more rigid frames and ride more comfortably over harsh stuff, but, in all other categories I'm finding, thus far, them to not have as much character as the 46 in normal life. Even the interior seems to be at best as good as the 46's from a solidity standpoint. Some feel downright slow in the midrange and even the fastest ones are really only faster at the very very top - they, for the most part, seem to lack any urgency unless near redline. And when you consider that they cost about twice as much money, give or take, the value isn't there for me.

Now - I did connect with one car - an '08 E90 M3 6MT. That car just "felt" right. Smooth, fast, very solid and very tight. The coupes, though, just don't feel as put together, but that's generally the case when comparing sedans to coupes - the sedan always feels better on the road.

At the risk of turning this into an E46 vs E90 or coupe vs sedan debate, I guess I was just expecting more out of an E92 M3. I was expecting to get in the car and be wow'd and that just hasn't happened so far. The more I drive the less I want one. I'm leaning heavily towards the 46.

Am I on crack? Do I need to drive more examples? What gives here?

Last edited by EricSMG; 02-04-2017 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 12:10 AM   #98
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Stock, many seem down on power. The range is broad, like 320 to 360 rwhp stock. Sort one out, mod it, and make around 400 rwhp and the car is entertaining.

I won't knock E46M3, though. You will feel more with one and modded, it may perform similarly.

I like my modded N/A 2008 E90M3 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #99
Kash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E92 DCT AW/FR

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2wji View Post
Great question. Well, I wouldn't buy a Mustang no matter the specs. It is half-baked.

I am now shopping for an E9XM or another 46M (my wife drives the current 46M). I've been test driving numerous E9X's and honestly I'm disappointed. They are not the step up from the 46 I was expecting. They have more rigid frames and ride more comfortably over harsh stuff, but, in all other categories I'm finding, thus far, them to not have as much character as the 46 in normal life. Even the interior seems to be at best as good as the 46's from a solidity standpoint. Some feel downright slow in the midrange and even the fastest ones are really only faster at the very very top - they, for the most part, seem to lack any urgency unless near redline. And when you consider that they cost about twice as much money, give or take, the value isn't there for me.

Now - I did connect with one car - an '08 E90 M3 6MT. That car just "felt" right. Smooth, fast, very solid and very tight. The coupes, though, just don't feel as put together, but that's generally the case when comparing sedans to coupes - the sedan always feels better on the road.

At the risk of turning this into an E46 vs E90 or coupe vs sedan debate, I guess I was just expecting more out of an E92 M3. I was expecting to get in the car and be wow'd and that just hasn't happened so far. The more I drive the less I want one. I'm leaning heavily towards the 46.

M3 E90 (zcp) body is more rigid and steering feel is fantastically better than e92. I had ultra low mileage e90. sold that and bought e92 for the elegance of exterior profile/style.

If you liked how E90 feels/drives; get a low mileage one.

For me; I will stick w/ E92 until it falls apart.

No other car REVs as insane as E9x. -- that alone w/ steering feedback and aggressive airdrome makes my day.

No regrets.

Ps: it takes few months of hate and love before you connect w/ E9x. Be patient!
      02-06-2017, 12:33 AM   #100
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

you ask in the wrong place lol.
you know what our answer is.
      02-06-2017, 01:35 AM   #101
///3dkn
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [8.67]
F10 M5. 13s and 14s can be had for under 50k across the nation.

That's my next move!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #102
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Man, I cannot tell you enough how much I agree with your assessment. Maybe what happens is your first e9x M3 will always be the best car ever as long as you keep getting e9x m3's, but once you step out into a few (not any) but a few select other cars, it's hard to reconnect to an e9x M3.

Trust me, I wanted everything in my soul to finally have a 6MT M3 after already having a DCT M3. I had a LONG test drive and drove it to redline numerous times and in the canyons (thanks to the cool owner) and all of that, but it just didn't do it for me and I almost started to feel depressed like "why don't I love this car like I should?" Lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #103
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
you ask in the wrong place lol.
you know what our answer is.
Nah, I didn't ask in the wrong place, there are a good amount of members here that aren't BMW fanbois and can have a healthy un-biased discussion about cars. It's helped me actually experience driving a members GT3 and what an amazing experience that was!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #104
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

I knew the e92M was special:
When I drove a 3-owner '08 ragged out used example at a local Ford dealership.
It was a 6mt, SSII, loaded.
It was tight and nimble in spite of being 3700+ lbs as a fully featured example.
It was just out of factory warranty so I moved on, but man, it left an impression.
While I owned an E85M.

Ordered a ZCP shortly thereafter from Munich just in time before production stopped.

Would never have done that if not for those test drives in that 2008. I felt that if this one is this good, how much better a fresh one that I will care for!?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #105
EricSMG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Man, I cannot tell you enough how much I agree with your assessment. Maybe what happens is your first e9x M3 will always be the best car ever as long as you keep getting e9x m3's, but once you step out into a few (not any) but a few select other cars, it's hard to reconnect to an e9x M3.

Trust me, I wanted everything in my soul to finally have a 6MT M3 after already having a DCT M3. I had a LONG test drive and drove it to redline numerous times and in the canyons (thanks to the cool owner) and all of that, but it just didn't do it for me and I almost started to feel depressed like "why don't I love this car like I should?" Lol.
What's interesting to me is that when I was shopping for the Mustang I test drove a E92 ZCP 6MT with 75k miles and the thing was an absolute rocket ship. I was blown away by how much top end pull it had and the midrange was healthy.

I've since not been anywhere near that impressed by one. Something's not right with this picture.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 06:17 AM   #106
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
What's interesting to me is that when I was shopping for the Mustang I test drove a E92 ZCP 6MT with 75k miles and the thing was an absolute rocket ship. I was blown away by how much top end pull it had and the midrange was healthy.

I've since not been anywhere near that impressed by one. Something's not right with this picture.
Perhaps you've become acclimated to the torque of the mustang.

When I get in my e46m after driving the e39m for a couple days, it always feels slow... even though my M3 has ~30 hp more than my M5 and weights almost 1000 lbs less (and blows it away in a drag race).

The torque makes the car feel faster than it is.

Then I get back in the M5 and am accidentally bouncing off the limiter and driving around at 3500 rpm instead of 2000, because I'm acclimated the other way (and tend to way overcook corners, because holy shit it's a boat in comparison). I far prefer a revvy engine to a torquey engine, but even I have the "this thing is gutless!" experience when I first switch cars.

Not that I'm arguing in favor of the e9XM (as you know, I far prefer the e46m to the e9XmM), but to give it a fair shot you should perhaps trade cars with your wife for a week to you your brain re-calibrated for revs > torque before your next test drive.

I feel like the e9XM should be the perfect car for you-- as you certainly prioritize chassis stiffness and ride quality more than most people I know, which are two areas where the e9XM excels!

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #107
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Perhaps you've become acclimated to the torque of the mustang.

When I get in my e46m after driving the e39m for a couple days, it always feels slow... even though my M3 has ~30 hp more than my M5 and weights almost 1000 lbs less (and blows it away in a drag race).

The torque makes the car feel faster than it is.

Then I get back in the M5 and am accidentally bouncing off the limiter and driving around at 3500 rpm instead of 2000, because I'm acclimated the other way (and tend to way overcook corners, because holy shit it's a boat in comparison). I far prefer a revvy engine to a torquey engine, but even I have the "this thing is gutless!" experience when I first switch cars.

Not that I'm arguing in favor of the e9XM (as you know, I far prefer the e46m to the e9XmM), but to give it a fair shot you should perhaps trade cars with your wife for a week to you your brain re-calibrated for revs > torque before your next test drive.

I feel like the e9XM should be the perfect car for you-- as you certainly prioritize chassis stiffness and ride quality more than most people I know, which are two areas where the e9XM excels!
That actually makes sense. Guess I prefer more torque at this point in my life.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #108
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

I found the best setting for the street- sport mode and hit the traction control button twice. It should say "Competitive Driving Mode" on the gauge cluster screen. Full engine power + traction control off + stability control on but reduced.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #109
SDPLV
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 DCT Silverstone II

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I found the best setting for the street- sport mode and hit the traction control button twice. It should say "Competitive Driving Mode" on the gauge cluster screen. Full engine power + traction control off + stability control on but reduced.
What.
Current: 08 E90 M3 DCT SSII w/ BE RB Swap, H8 Lux 180s, MS Drop-in AF, CF spoiler, CF diffuser, OEM CF leather trim, CF DCT paddles, Custom DCT flatbottom wheel, MirrorTap 9500ix, RockAuto rotors, Hawk HPS pads, AMS ECU 93 Oct Map Tune, GTS DCT update, Slambo custom undertray
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #110
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I JUST discovered the "hidden" menu of PTM and all the modes! Def gonna try this out. Sounds like Euro MDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPLV View Post
What.
He's referring to the new Camaro 1LE's Performance Traction Management that works in conjunction with the E-LSD.
Appreciate 0