BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-01-2010, 06:19 AM   #23
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
You know I drove 2 E92 M3's that had 6 spd. manuals and the clutch felt different in both cars. A lot of it has to depend on mileage and the way the clutch was broken in.

Dave
Agreed, I drove two 2010's the same day both with less miles than my car. Although they could have been abused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
I have not driven a pre-11, but I will have to say that the clutch is a million times more "grabby" than my old 335, but that doesn't mean much. It's a VERY springy pedal feel (that may just be because it's more "grabby") but the engagement point is still way too high for my liking and I'm looking for a clutch stop...
It is a bit difficult to drive smoothly at low speeds, but for higher speed shifts and heel-toeing the quick engagement point is perfect. The quick engagement is better suited for the spirited driving and track work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploo View Post
looking forward to more empiric evidence. anyone have a chance to test a few cars back-to-back?
I would like more folks to chime in as well.
      07-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #24
VanM3Lover
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4.0 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesbikes View Post
I was able to drive a 2010 the same day I took delivery of my 2011. The 2010 had about 300km on it and my 2011 has 7km on it when I drove it off the lot.

There is definately a difference but I wouldn't say it was a huge difference. The 2011 was noticably softer IMO. So much that I felt like I stepped on it too hard the first time I shifted into first gear. I don't think it is more "grabby" then the 2010 clutch. However, with the pedal action being so soft it would be easy to mis-judge the engagment point the first time you drive the car.

After 2 months of driving the car I still feel like the clutch is soft. It's very easy to drive in traffic. I was just used to my last car that had exeedy carbon clutch in it. That was a heavy @$$ clutch.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the info! So you're saying the 11' is even softer then 09'/10', right? My 09 is already so light that I always feel like steping on air aftering driving other cars, can't imagine how light the 11' would feel.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #25
Jeff_DML
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanM3Lover View Post
Thanks for the info! So you're saying the 11' is even softer then 09'/10', right? My 09 is already so light that I always feel like steping on air aftering driving other cars, can't imagine how light the 11' would feel.
yeah, my e46 wagon had a lot heavier clutch then our m3's
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #26
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Wasn't there a previous case for the 6MT where it was simply the spring in the pedal or linkage itself that was changed to a much smaller spring, causing a lighter feel? If so, maybe they did something similar. Maybe not a spring again, but some other minor change possibly.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #27
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Wasn't there a previous case for the 6MT where it was simply the spring in the pedal or linkage itself that was changed to a much smaller spring, causing a lighter feel?
Just the opposite; it actually was TWO springs, for more pedal assist ('reverse' linkage, so counterintuitive ). And that's exactly my guess of what happened on '11s, if anything: even more assist by heavier springs. Doubt anything else changed, but we should know for sure over time.
I can't imagine enjoying my M3 with lighter clutch pedal assist than my '08, but that's just me. And I'm not a muscle man. Pedal effort is perfect, even in traffic. HATE when you can push the clutch with your little toe, like on Hondas; can't feel crap.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #28
bikesbikes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanM3Lover View Post
Yup. That's what i felt when I first drove my 11'. The clutch pedal went in so fast my passenger heard a thump when it hit the bottom. HAHA. I had to laugh and tell them not to worry. I've driven manual before.

That was the only time I could drive both cars one after another. Mine was brand new and the 10' was pretty much brand new. I don't think it was abused in the 300km that it had on the odometer.

It's too late to do the same test now. Even if I can find an 10' with the same mileage as my 11'. There are too many variables.

But yes it still feels soft. Is it civic soft? No it's not. I'm sure you will all agree it also has much more travel then a civic clutch.

Maybe we're just old school and expect a 400+ hp car to have a heavy clutch. It's still a good clutch. Easy to live with and easy to heel toe.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 02:55 AM   #29
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

I drove a 011 e92 non ZCP car last weekend and the clutch definitely does feel different than my buddies 09 e92 m3. The 011 clutch is lighter but more linear and it does seem to grab more lower in the clutch travel. I would personally say the 011's are even easier to drive than the 010 because of the lower clutch point and the more linear stride back to normal position. This can all be subjective however, because my buddies m3 does have 18k miles on it and the dealers had less than 18 miles.