BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

View Poll Results: To supercharge or not to supercharge
Supercharge 71 55.04%
Not to supercharge and keep it NA 58 44.96%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

01-06-2016, 10:13 PM   #1
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Lightbulb To supercharge or not to supercharge?

When I bought my m3 1 year ago. I promised myself to keep the car NA. I added a tune and full bolts on 2 months after that and kept it like that till now. I don't do alot of WOT specially I live in state with toughest traffic laws. So I really dont use the full power potential of this car. I barely touch 5k or 6k rpm on 1st or 2nd gear only to avoid over speeding.

However, lately I am getting the itch in supercharging my car (thanks to this forum) and the question would be if I should go for it or not specially I dont use the full power of NA engine anyways. Many many members on this forum supercharged their cars and then ended up selling the kit after 3k -10k miles for reasons many didnt want to disclose...

Is there any benefit in adding a supercharger to my car or I will be just wasting my money (and of course time) by doing so?

Last edited by Honda; 01-07-2016 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:28 PM   #2
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

If $$ isn't an issue....DO IT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #3
///Mlife
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP-Ferrari F12-RR Wraith

Garage List
You said you don't use the full power anyways so I don't see the point.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Skip it unless your stop light racing Vin diesel on the weekends
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2016, 11:32 PM   #5
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S65-M3 View Post
When I bought my m3 1 year ago. I promised myself to keep the car NA. I added a tune and full bolts on 2 months after that and kept it like that till now. I don't do alot of WOT specially I live in state with toughest traffic laws. So I really dont use the full power potential of this car. I barely touch 5k or 6k rpm on 1st or 2nd gear only to avoid over speeding.

However, lately I am getting the itch in supercharging my car (thanks to this forum) and the question would be if I should go for it or not specially I dont use the full power of NA engine anyways. Many many members on this forum supercharged their cars and then ended up selling the kit after 3k -10k miles for reasons many didnt want to disclose...

Is there any beneft for me to add supercharger to my car or I will be just wasting my money (and of course time) by doing so?
I love mine very much but I regret not putting the money towards an m4. If you think you'll keep it for 2-3 more years I say blow it, if you are keeping it less than that I wouldn't and just enjoy what you have.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 AW E9X M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
I love mine very much but I regret not putting the money towards an m4. If you think you'll keep it for 2-3 more years I say blow it, if you are keeping it less than that I wouldn't and just enjoy what you have.
This is the predicament I am in now. Guess if I do purchase one I could always part it out like I've done in the past to recoup some funds. Not a stop light racer either but I like the idea of having the additional power on tap. Just like Tim the tool man taylor. Maybe it will motivate me to do some track days.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 09:52 AM   #7
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
If $$ isn't an issue....DO IT
Unfortunately, money is always an issue but I saved some to do it. Now I am thinking if I really need it or just to scratch the itch I have.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #8
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mlife View Post
You said you don't use the full power anyways so I don't see the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Skip it unless your stop light racing Vin diesel on the weekends

That's why I having the thoughts. Sometime I think of it as an option that I might use from time to time but this option is very costly and not sure if it is necessary
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #9
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierlevelz View Post
This is the predicament I am in now. Guess if I do purchase one I could always part it out like I've done in the past to recoup some funds. Not a stop light racer either but I like the idea of having the additional power on tap. Just like Tim the tool man taylor. Maybe it will motivate me to do some track days.
Yeah buying M4 is not an option for me. I can't afford it right now and I have other priorities to fulfill that is more important than buying M4. I can buy used supercharger and still not break the bank
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #10
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeah buying M4 is not an option for me. I can't afford it right now and I have other priorities to fulfill that is more important than buying M4. I can buy used supercharger and still not break the bank
Then go for it, i bought mine as a toy and have really enjoyed it. the ess kit is a really nice quality.

be warned: you will have the power desire....always wanting more.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #11
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

No point if you dont use it, unless you want to impress your friends when the hood is open which might not be the case.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #12
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 AW E9X M

Quote:
Used low mileage kits are plentiful theses days. That's the route i'm planning on taking. Planning on keeping the car at least another couple years until the warranty runs out.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 10:45 AM   #13
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Then go for it, i bought mine as a toy and have really enjoyed it. the ess kit is a really nice quality.

be warned: you will have the power desire....always wanting more.
Since you have a lot of experience using the kit. I love the s65 engine character. Do you loose the sound when supercharging? What about the exhaust sound?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #14
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

I loved my m3 all motor, and I love it even more on blower now. exhuast not didn't change on my car at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #15
ASBSECU E93
Rep

I asked this same question a while back - the most common theme answer was how the car felt more alive with the SC.

Unless you plan to drag the car, or attend events like Wannagofast - the limits of the car, either N/A or with a SC, cannot be measured on the street (legally).

It is a measure of want vs need. It is true though - you'll always 'want' more power...
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #16
djDori_C
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

I love my SC... Zero regrets
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #17
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

pick your time and place to speed, it's not hard.

do it. i've been in a boosted e93, pretty cool experience.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #18
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I asked this same question a while back - the most common theme answer was how the car felt more alive with the SC.

Unless you plan to drag the car, or attend events like Wannagofast - the limits of the car, either N/A or with a SC, cannot be measured on the street (legally).

It is a measure of want vs need. It is true though - you'll always 'want' more power...

Yeah I have seen your other thread. Did you end up getting one or did you just drop the idea?

This forum is getting me to like modding my car more and more. Without this forum I wouldnt know if SC was an option on the car. I was one of the believers for years that car should stay stock and modding it would be fun but in return I will lose reliability of the car and warranty of course. But after seeing many members with SC kit and their engine still reliable even after 30k miles. The itch of supercharging started lol
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #19
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
pick your time and place to speed, it's not hard.

do it. i've been in a boosted e93, pretty cool experience.
Why did you sell your car? Thats another thing that is making me wether I should do it or not. People getting bored after thousands of miles or other non disclosed reasons
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #20
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65-M3
Quote:

Yeah I have seen your other thread. Did you end up getting one or did you just drop the idea?

This forum is getting me to like modding my car more and more. Without this forum I wouldnt know if SC was an option on the car. I was one of the believers for years that car should stay stock and modding it would be fun but in return I will lose reliability of the car and warranty of course. But after seeing many members with SC kit and their engine still reliable even after 30k miles. The itch of supercharging started lol
I am looking for a used SC with low miles - being patient for the right opportunity. I'll keep this car long term, will upgrade the RB's and bolts with this mod.

Also - it is likely the cost of new SC's may come down with the newer model M having a TT set-up.....and several floating around 'slightly used'.
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #21
AreOut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

why would you add power to the car that you don't use its full potential anyway?

even if it was totally free
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #22
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am looking for a used SC with low miles - being patient for the right opportunity. I'll keep this car long term, will upgrade the RB's and bolts with this mod.

Also - it is likely the cost of new SC's may come down with the newer model M having a TT set-up.....and several floating around 'slightly used'.
Prices of new SC is already down from what it used to be. I remember entry level kit used to be close to 8k brand new couple of years ago now you can get it for around 6k..do you think it will come down to 4k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreOut View Post
why would you add power to the car that you don't use its full potential anyway?

even if it was totally free
Yeah true..and thats why I am not set on doing it..."trying" to convince myself that I really don't need it.
Appreciate 0