BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

07-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Question about headliner

Hello all,

As I get to know my m3, I've come up with several questions, one of which is about the headliner.

I was cleaning the interior, and noticed that the center section of the headliner (where the reading lights are for the rear passengers) flexes upwards when I press on it. In other words, it doesn't seem to be perfectly flush with the roof of the car. The headliner cover itself is NOT separating from the headliner as it happens in many cars when they age; simply that I am able to move the center part of it upwards. Is this normal or has my headliner separated from the roof? It's not visually noticeable since the headliner itself has a very specific/rigid structure and it looks perfect.

Does anyone know if the headliner is glued or taped to the roof in addition to the fastening points?

If someone can go out to his/her car and verify for me I'll be grateful forever

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
You can remove the sun visors and then the section closest to the window can be lowered, maybe there is a clip missing or the piece has been deformed for some reason. I added some insulation up there for a rattle, it isn't the stiffest of material.
      07-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

that's how it is. It's not mounted directly to the roof it will flex in the center.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you both! Do you know if there's any glue/tape in the center part of it? When I push it all the way up it feels like it wants to stay, but eventually let's go. I shouldn't obsess over it as it seems normal but I wanted to ask.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you mean that map light unit, it just rests there, with these prong type clips.

Although I despise LED interior lighting, and this guy didn't use the correct method to get to the dome, you can see how it sits:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273231
      07-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan
If you mean that map light unit, it just rests there, with these prong type clips.

Although I despise LED interior lighting, and this guy didn't use the correct method to get to the dome, you can see how it sits:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273231
Thanks! I'm actually referring not to the map light itself but the part of the headliner where the map light sits. The headliner itself is what moves/flexes up when I push on it so I was wondering if it attached in anyway to the roof of the car? Tape? Glued?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #7
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Thanks! I'm actually referring not to the map light itself but the part of the headliner where the map light sits. The headliner itself is what moves/flexes up when I push on it so I was wondering if it attached in anyway to the roof of the car? Tape? Glued?
Oh, that piece, it's just a molded piece, it's not attached to anything, it's supposed to snap back into shape if you make a indentation in it, at least mine does when I had to pull the map light unit down.
      07-16-2014, 05:06 AM   #8
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Oh, that piece, it's just a molded piece, it's not attached to anything, it's supposed to snap back into shape if you make a indentation in it, at least mine does when I had to pull the map light unit down.
Awesome, thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #9
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Reviving this thread...today I decided to push upwards on the rear light dome until I felt it touch the roof, and to my surprise it stay pegged until it slowly detached itself.

I believe that my suspicion of there being adhesive and/or doublesided tape between the roof and the headliner has been confirmed. Otherwise, why else would it stick and then detach itself?

Anyone else noticed this? I'm just not entirely convinced that the center section of the headliner should have any vertical flex/movement. If it is indeed intended to hang and flex, then why would there be any adhesive in place?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Check this section on realoem for the actual part names, etc. I don't see anything special about the attachment.
Attached Images

08-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #11
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Check this section on realoem for the actual part names, etc. I don't see anything special about the attachment.
Question: do you mind going to your car, pushing straight up on the rear light dome, and see if it stays? Mine definitely sticks and then comes right back after a little while...and if I don't push it up with much force, I can hear the adhesive making a sound as in wanting to stick.

I'm simply curious, as this is definitely not a big deal and for all I know it may be normal.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #12
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Question: do you mind going to your car, pushing straight up on the rear light dome, and see if it stays? Mine definitely sticks and then comes right back after a little while...and if I don't push it up with much force, I can hear the adhesive making a sound as in wanting to stick.

I'm simply curious, as this is definitely not a big deal and for all I know it may be normal.

Thanks!
If I press hard upward, I do hear something that sounds like tape, like when tape hardens from heat, sort of a crackling sound, but it's a pretty solid piece.

Creaks from the headliner occur near the edges, by the grab handles. I've pulled the headliner down and applied thin felt tape where it makes contact.

On the Z cars, the headliner has some pieces that are held with glue and velcro, then they attach to the roof, I don't see any parts listed though for the E90.
      08-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #13
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!
If I press hard upward, I do hear something that sounds like tape, like when tape hardens from heat, sort of a crackling sound, but it's a pretty solid piece.

Creaks from the headliner occur near the edges, by the grab handles. I've pulled the headliner down and applied thin felt tape where it makes contact.

On the Z cars, the headliner has some pieces that are held with glue and velcro, then they attach to the roof, I don't see any parts listed though for the E90.
All good info...so when you press upwards until it touches the roof, you do hear it almost as if it wants to catch and stay (somewhat like the adhesive on tape)?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
All good info...so when you press upwards until it touches the roof, you do hear it almost as if it wants to catch and stay (somewhat like the adhesive on tape)?
If I press on the light unit itself, I can't get it to move that far. If I press behind it or to the sides, yeah, I hear some crunchy tape sounds. I've not taken it down before as it's pretty quiet after the felt addition to the metal roof I did over a year ago.
      08-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #15
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
If I press on the light unit itself, I can't get it to move that far. If I press behind it or to the sides, yeah, I hear some crunchy tape sounds. I've not taken it down before as it's pretty quiet after the felt addition to the metal roof I did over a year ago.
Cool, thanks! Yes the light dome on mine has maybe 1/2" of travel upwards, and if I push on it enough, it will catch and stay stuck to the roof, then eventually free up and rest in the position that it was before. Most likely normal since you seem to be getting a bit of play from a different area. My guess is that this would vary from car to car.

Thanks again for all the info!

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #16
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Cool, thanks! Yes the light dome on mine has maybe 1/2" of travel upwards, and if I push on it enough, it will catch and stay stuck to the roof, then eventually free up and rest in the position that it was before. Most likely normal since you seem to be getting a bit of play from a different area. My guess is that this would vary from car to car.

Cheers!
No sweat and probably right, cars left in the hot sun may have more issues than those that aren't. I had to re-glue my E86M as the rear of the headliner "drooped" and the glued velcro piece was lame.
      08-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #17
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers!
No sweat and probably right, cars left in the hot sun may have more issues than those that aren't. I had to re-glue my E86M as the rear of the headliner "drooped" and the glued velcro piece was lame.
I think I found what it is! Looking through the vents of the light dome, I can see velcro in place. The question is, did BMW put velcro there from factory? Can you see any through the vents if you use a flash light? Since you have an 08 as well, chances are yours may have it as well.

Better yet, Mr. Interior Expert, what's the best way for me to remove the dome so that I can check it out? On the link you provided above, you said that the guy didn't use the right method to remove it, and I want to do it right.

You mentioned you've done some headliner work, did you notice any velcro at all?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #18
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Confirmed. A search for e90 + headliner + velcro yields BMW instructions that mention the two pieces of velcro in the center of the roof. Why realoem makes no mention of it is beyond me.

Of anyone can tell me how to remove the rear dome piece so that I can replace the velcro, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #19
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Confirmed. A search for e90 + headliner + velcro yields BMW instructions that mention the two pieces of velcro in the center of the roof. Why realoem makes no mention of it is beyond me.

Of anyone can tell me how to remove the rear dome piece so that I can replace the velcro, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Cheap ass velcro, cheap ass glue that holds the pieces in place

These instructions:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150766

I never removed the headliner that far to the rear, most of my noises/creaks were in the front, simply removing the grab handles using torx drivers allowed it to lower. I imagine the same for the rear, but also the rear dome, wiring and the rear stop light might help at least get your hand in there to redo the velcro.

As for the link above, that is for the front dome, and no, he just yanked it down from the sunroof seal, that's just stupid and lazy. Removing the sun visors is the key there, and/or the grabhandles.

Last edited by thekurgan; 08-08-2014 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0