11-06-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by belyzel4 View Post
Looks like I ended up making a big mistake! I'll try to keep myself from test driving the m3 for as long as possible so I don't make an impulse purchase right away without thinking things through! I always knew I was going to eventually end up with an M3, I just don't know why I wanted to wait for the next generation... when the fun of the high revving engine will be gone.
Good idea, because if you test drive an M3, you WILL force yourself to buy it. That'd probably happen even if you weren't already jonesing for an M3 as hard as you seem to be.

As for the next generation worries, if the M5 is any indication, the loss of a high-revving engine doesn't seem to be causing owners any real grief, even those who had the E60 previously. The next M3 in all likelihood will be better than this one, especially in terms of doubling as a DD when needed; it'll be lighter, faster (and easier to drive faster thanks to turbos), more fuel efficient, etc. I drove a 1M recently and could definitely see how it might be preferred over an M3 by someone who tracks occasionally (or never) but primarily DDs. It's just far easier to accelerate quickly at civilized RPMs in a 1M than an M3; the 1M makes lazier driving more enjoyable, whereas to really have a blast in the M3 you have to work it -- and all of those 1M advantages should carry into the next M3. But all that said, I still personally prefer this M3 because even though lazier driving can be more fun in the 1M (though lack of that V8 sound is definitely missed), spirited driving is hands down more fun in the M3, and that's the type of driving I bought my car for.

But even if the next M3 does somehow manage to combine the advantages of the 1M and the current M3, I think the current M3 is truly something special, so I expect to be able to resist the urge to upgrade. Plus by then I'll probably have my financial priorities focused elsewhere anyway, so that'll help too.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 11-06-2012 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0