09-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #44
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
I didn't have time to read the article as I'm mobile but I don't see what the problem could be? Connect your iPhone via Bluetooth and voila you can stream all your music and make/receive calls. Or is this whole scene regarding the emails and texts etc coming up under the Office tab?
Bluetooth Audio only works if you have a car produced 9/2010 or later with Navigation, which isn't everyone. And Bluetooth Audio doesn't sound as good as a docked connection. Plus you can't charge your phone that way -- and if you connect your phone to charge it, iDrive disables Bluetooth Audio for that phone. Now, that's all moot because docked audio will work fine anyway, but if it didn't, Bluetooth Audio isn't exactly an equivalent replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
this is a pain for people who want all their stuff housed on and accessed from their iPhone "ecosystem". it's not just self-entitled whining. I am still going to upgrade and I guess I'll just have to hope for a solution in the future
It's only this hard precisely BECAUSE Apple held onto the dock connector for so long, giving time for an absolutely enormous ecosystem to develop around it. The dock connector came in 2003 and has been kept across multiple generations of multiple product lines. Say what you will about proprietary connectors, but no other phone connector "standard" has lasted anywhere near that long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
I didn't know [lack of simultaneous voice and data on Verizon/Sprint] was true. I'm switching from my 3gs on ATT to 5 on Verizon. So this means no more looking up addresses while talking on the phone.

Don't do it daily, but when I need it, it's very handy.
Correct, no simultaneous voice and data on Verizon and Sprint unless you're on Wifi. If you're on AT&T, you only get 3G speeds while you're on the phone even if you're within range of LTE. Lack of simultaneous voice and data on CDMA was the consequence of a design/logistics decision on Apple's part. Great article about it here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6295/w...-svdo-support-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Bluetooth audio sounds like crap. Wired connections have a ton more bandwidth and sound quality. Even with the newest Bluetooth streaming standard, the best you are going to get is FM radio quality.
Not as bad as FM (maybe HD Radio), but yes I agree it's not as good as being wired in.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 09-19-2012 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0