06-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #31
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
Thank you very much for that link. I called the only local shop that installs F1 and they won't go below 35%. I have 20% on my mustang and it's never been a problem. After looking at those pics, 35% seems too light. This is a problem. I'm surprised a shop won't go lower than what the law allows.
I would recommend going to see 35% in person; a lot of shops will attach just a square of the tint onto your window as a demo so you can get a feel for it. Photos can be deceiving and a lot depends on the amount of ambient light, the color of your interior, etc. That said, if you like the look of something as dark as 20, 35 may indeed be too light under any circumstances.

Shops typically won't go darker than what the law allows for at least one of these reasons:

- They don't want you later trying to hold them liable for tickets you might get related to the tint. Even if they had you sign a waiver absolving them of liability and you would therefore ultimately lose that claim, they'd rather avoid the hassle of you even trying to make a claim in the first place. And actually the existence of such a waiver would get them in trouble in court anyway because it would be evidence that they knowingly performed an illegal install.

- In some states, including Texas, shops are required to attach a (tiny and hardly noticeable) sticker to their tint jobs that identifies them as the installer, in which case law enforcement could go after them directly for installing an illegally dark tint level. And if they left that sticker off on an illegal job and you got pulled over, I doubt many people would feel obligated to their shop not to tell the cop who did the install, in which case now the shop would be in trouble for an illegal job AND failing to affix the sticker.

- They just want to be honest, law-abiding businesses, even if that means turning down business from people who want them to do something illegal. I don't understand why so few people seem to think that's a sufficiently good reason by itself anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
I google searched with various terms but mostly comfort access and ceramic or metallic tint. Initially installers were saying ceramic is the new thing because metallic screws up the CA. However, plenty of people on forums have said otherwise. Most of the links were to the other various BMW forums in addition to an Acura forum, Mazda forum and some other midget car I can't remember.
I don't know a ton about the technical side of tint, but maybe some ceramic tint has both ceramic AND metallic elements and might therefore interfere with CA? But I suspect that would vary based on the brand of tint, and as I said, I've never had issues with CA or my fob in general with the F1 Pinnacle.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 06-11-2013 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 0